Whats the most restrictivest part on our Non-PIed motors??

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've been hearing different things, and I thought it was the heads? WHat is it??

Adam

Reaction score
The exhaust side of of the heads and the exhaust manifolds. ;)

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I vote intake but the exhaust ports don't flow so well...

I 2nd that vote... O0

But our 6 cat h-pipe over the 99+'s 4 is a little more restrictive. But not as bad as our NPI intake.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
WTF was Ford thinking with such restricted stuff on this motor like? 6 Cats, Exhaust manifold, Intake... Was emissions big in 96?

voidfinger

Reaction score
well guys, its the NPI H/C/I, exaust and other stuff. THe stock manifolds actually flow pretty well, thats why shorties don't add much hp.

ok, this is why ford went this way:

the npi motor in 96 made 215hp and 280 or so torque. thats with 281 CI. How much did the stock 5.0 make in 94/95? the same...... with 302 CI. Same power with less CI, then in 99 they blew it away with 260 :)

Call me Captain Obvious

Mitchell

Adam

Reaction score
The heads on the intake side are OK, the exhaust side is very bad. The intake is fine, but it set up to make torque at lower rpms and therefore falls off relatively early. The exhaust manifolds are like straws. Here is a pic form this weekends Tubular front end/Longtube install

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The Non-PI heads actually flow more intake CFM in the upper rpm's than the PI heads.. the WORST part of the non PI setup is hands down the Intake and Cams.

If the heads and exhaust were THAT BAD, then how come you only see a 5rwhp increase w/ a midpipe install? BUT when you put on PI intake and Cams you see a 50-60+rwhp gain with stock parts.. but yet when you do a complete PI swap you see 60-70rwhp gains.

Doesn't seem to me the PI heads are that bad if your only losing 0-10rwhp if that w/ just PI cam/intake swap compared to a complete heads/cams/intake package..

Adam

Reaction score
Nobody is getting 50-60rwhp gains from PI intake and cams.....NOBODY. Let me go one step further. I did a PI head/intake swap, FRPP shorties, VT stage 1 cams and I picked up 72 rwhp. A full PI swap is worth 40rwhp TOPS. Intake and PI cams is 20-30rwhp tops. Not sure where your coming up with these inflated numbers. And a mid pipe picks up 5rwhp because you still have the exhaust manifold restriction in front of it...thats pretty much common sense. But it feels as if though you have lost power because you don't have the backpressure to help create torque, so the car in turn sluggish off the line.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
my mistake.. my buddy got a 55rwhp gain on a set of ported nonPI heads after swapping to the pI cams and intake...

And even your numbers, 20-30 for cams/intake and 40 for the full swap, why waste the extra $1000 or so for a set of heads when they are only worth 10rwhp. And then if you decide to put a blower/turbo on later your limited on the boost b/c of the higher compression ratio. Doesn't make much sense to me.

And why if the stock manifolds are so much of a restriction do you only gain about 0-5rwhp w/ a set of shorty headers... If they were such a restriction i'd think i'd see more than 5hp. Have you ever seen a set of FRPP shorties? they are nothing more than a tubular version of the stock cast iron manifolds...

W

WODY281

You know I didn't think the exhaust manifolds were that big of a restriction either. B/c everybody i've talked to say shortys aren't worth it, only a couple of hp. So i'm guessing the manifolds flow close to the same as shortys. I'm not sure about long tubes maybe their better. But I would most def say the intake/cams are the downfall of our motors!!! :boink:

voidfinger

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
my mistake.. my buddy got a 55rwhp gain on a set of ported nonPI heads after swapping to the pI cams and intake...

And even your numbers, 20-30 for cams/intake and 40 for the full swap, why waste the extra $1000 or so for a set of heads when they are only worth 10rwhp. And then if you decide to put a blower/turbo on later your limited on the boost b/c of the higher compression ratio. Doesn't make much sense to me.

And why if the stock manifolds are so much of a restriction do you only gain about 0-5rwhp w/ a set of shorty headers... If they were such a restriction i'd think i'd see more than 5hp. Have you ever seen a set of FRPP shorties? they are nothing more than a tubular version of the stock cast iron manifolds...

well i got my pi heads for 200 shipped with the valve covers and all. also, you can get the cosmetic gaskets and keep it at 9:1 or even 8.5:1 when you put them in. :)

97blackgt

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Thomas_W said:

well i got my pi heads for 200 shipped with the valve covers and all. also, you can get the cosmetic gaskets and keep it at 9:1 or even 8.5:1 when you put them in. :)

when u got the heads did u have to do a valve job or anything? what else did u need to buy to make the swap?
just curious cause im thinking about getting some heads off ebay or soemthing but i dont wanna get some POS heads

voidfinger

Reaction score
the guy i got the heads from had let them sit for a long time so, i'm going to send them to a shop to get checked out and then new valve seals in and maybe a valve job and maybe guides, but maybe not if it doesn't need them. I haven't done the swap yet so i'm looking into a couple things. One thing though, if you can. Get the romeo heads, they use the same valve covers as yours does and they fit exact i think. Windsors, which i got is a little different. :(

voidfinger

Reaction score
o and 97blackgt, under your pic it say's you have 205 hp stock? is that flywheel or RWHP? is fly then your car is rated at 215 :dancing6:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001