White's '98 GT "Spaceghost"

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Calipers wont do you any good. Even finding lift values and here is why. The follower is not on a fixed fulcrum like every other car manufacturered is. If the follower was a rocker, then yes...simple measuring devices can get you close. Now let me try to explain.

As the lobe swings around, the lasher keeps tention to the follower to stay on the cam lobe and valve tip. As the cam ramp swings in, the lasher will have to bleed down to its lock point. Now....some cam manufacturer take advantage of this by grinding the cam base circle smaller to allow a later valve timing event....utilize more of lasher bleed down rate.

Yes, I just stated the modulars have a mechanical veriable valve timing. From driving rpm to high rpm the lashers go into a bled out mode once rpm's are up, relying on the spring within the lasher to keep things together and depending on base circle ground off depends on bleed amount. Also lasher type alters bleed amount as well. This is why folks go with ford Gt lashers on the exhaust. A lasher designed for 5w-50 oil reacts different with 5w-20

I can go all day here, but really if you want I can check them out for you...no biggie!

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Calipers wont do you any good. Even finding lift values and here is why. The follower is not on a fixed fulcrum like every other car manufacturered is. If the follower was a rocker, then yes...simple measuring devices can get you close. Now let me try to explain.

As the lobe swings around, the lasher keeps tention to the follower to stay on the cam lobe and valve tip. As the cam ramp swings in, the lasher will have to bleed down to its lock point. Now....some cam manufacturer take advantage of this by grinding the cam base circle smaller to allow a later valve timing event....utilize more of lasher bleed down rate.

Yes, I just stated the modulars have a mechanical veriable valve timing. From driving rpm to high rpm the lashers go into a bled out mode once rpm's are up, relying on the spring within the lasher to keep things together and depending on base circle ground off depends on bleed amount. Also lasher type alters bleed amount as well. This is why folks go with ford Gt lashers on the exhaust. A lasher designed for 5w-50 oil reacts different with 5w-20

I can go all day here, but really if you want I can check them out for you...no biggie!

Always such a good source modular tech info!! Are you suggesting the Ford GT lash adjusters for the exhaust or should I retain the oem PI parts?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Or you could do stock dohc B head lashers ;)

They bleed faster than pi stock and dont require much cost. Have to find them though. Scotty probably has over 200pc. Best part, you dont need Gt matching followers. Also to boot, you could solid lash the intake side for more performance. Move your compression up if you wanted too. These modulars offer the best bargin for cheap simple mods! I love'm!

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Or you could do stock dohc B head lashers ;)

They bleed faster than pi stock and dont require much cost. Have to find them though. Scotty probably has over 200pc. Best part, you dont need Gt matching followers. Also to boot, you could solid lash the intake side for more performance. Move your compression up if you wanted too. These modulars offer the best bargin for cheap simple mods! I love'm!

Had the machine shop slightly shave the heads, mainly for sealing purposes but should boost compression somewhat. What are the benefits to solid lashers on the intake side and B head lashers (which seem impossible to locate) on the exhaust side?

Help me Obi Won Kenobi, have one week left to collect parts!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The stock pi cam lobes have more duration to compensate for hydraulic lash. Ive been saying the pi cams are a hair under comp 262 profile when solid lashed. Lobe ramp rates and over lap set them apart, but valve open closing points are really close. If someone wanted to get more potential from stock and didnt want to break the bank on cams this is what to do.

Solid lash the intake lashers by welding them collapsed and shimming the lash to .003-.004" between the follower and cam lobe(its noisier than hydraulic) Run the B lashers on the exhaust.(i havent the opportunity to experiment with the Gt lashers, but they are popular) Try to get 12.1static compression, cause youre going to run 93octane anyways. Better to utilize the benefits. Also retard the cam 5°-8°. This should extend the valve closing point a tad more. Also cause the exhaust opening to be later along with the B lashers. Long tubes of course! Pi intake!

The more you squeeze out of this, the less reliable

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
New JLT intake:

A4EC8B1F-6CD5-4ADA-B20C-052287B01B52_zpss3ayjpdb.jpg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you listen to this through headphones or on PC/stereo speaker you can hear the misfiring at idle and in the revs

[video=youtube_share;_4m6fNZhKMc]http://youtu.be/_4m6fNZhKMc[/video]

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=21612]Nighttrain[/MENTION] Welcome to the forum!! You should start a thread in the introduction section and meet the rest of the crew. As for this car, my work schedule has postponed installing parts for at least another week. Hopefully, it'll be installed next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnorBlue4Mustang

Members online

No members online now.