Wobbling Crank Pulley

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Purple97GT said:
Yep, I did the same thing for a while with my GT until Barry Shepard told me it would eventually damage the engine. This was back at the very first Mobil 1 WFC in KY. I had the Ford UD's on mine with no damper and ran it for 5k or 6k miles like that without damage.

probably, ive had my u/d pullies like this since about 96k miles or so (going on 158k miles now) and no damage yet. :dancing6:

Purple97GT said:
Maybe this only happens to the n/a DOHC motors? All the broken crank stories I heard were from DOHC motors without dampers. A guy on my local board had a bolt on Mach 1 with UD's and the shop didn't reinstall his damper piggy back and his crankshaft broke. :dunno:
voidfinger said:
wow, a forged crank breaking thats rediculous.

yup, most horror stories ive heard have delt with the mach 1's. and for the record, the mach's dont have the forged crank that the cobras do, right?

Purple97GT

Reaction score
This guys Mach 1 was a 5 speed with forged crank. Didn't matter, in a short time without the damper, it snapped the crank.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
oh wow, i thought all mach's were cast, learn something new everyday i guess. :banana:

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
on the topic of underdrives....
HOW THE HE*L DO I GET THE DA*M DAMPNER BOLT OUT
im so pissed its not funny...
my friggin impact wrench doesnt fit and im sure as heck not taking off the radiator...not worth '5hp'...
:nonono:

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
i tried that but it wasnt working right... :nonono:
im going to try putting them on again sometime this week when i have the time...
between school work and cycling im stressed for time...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You could also try locking it in gear with the E-brake on and just using a breaker bar or socket. Good Luck.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea true, hey... Do i really need to get a crank puller for this? my haines manual said i needed a crank dampner puller but if im not reusing the factory one do i still need it or no?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can loan a tool it from Autozone, but no i guess you could just use a regular three jaw since you don't need to worry about pulling it apart.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
they want 80 for the rental..
and its $12 for the fliping puller
:behind:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You do get your 80 back though, but you gotta have it upfront. I have one personally, it's handy every now and then.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
You do get your 80 back though, but you gotta have it upfront. I have one personally, it's handy every now and then.
yea thats why i bought it....
and i had $20 not $80 :hammer:

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
You could also try locking it in gear with the E-brake on and just using a breaker bar or socket. Good Luck.

thats what i tried doing at first, but it still wouldnt come loose and actually spun the crank anyways, so i had a friend jump in the car, leave it in gear and step on the brakes, and that did the trick

as for the pulley puller, yeah, just go off and buy one at sears or something. havent had to buy one yet so i dunno what the prices are, but i figure at $80 to rent it, it might be worth it to just buy it

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
shit i'll use a screw driver lol :slap:

dont bother, i just went to autozone tonight to buy the pulley puller, but instead i was able to rent it for a refundable charge of $16.16

so who said they charged you $80 to rent it?

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
1996mustangGT said:
they want 80 for the rental..
and its $12 for the fliping puller
:behind:

i see. oh well, i hope the one i got works. now i just need to buy the filter, coolant, and some beer :drunk: so i can be ready for this weekend.