OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
new question:

cooling.

my 1996 radiator seems to be a single-year-specific. why is that? should i buy an 04 radiator? will an 04 radiator work? should i buy an upgraded 96 radiator??

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Well, I would be inclined to buy a 04 cobra radiator, people seem to swear by them. speaking of which, did you get the radiator for the blower cooling system?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i looked through my book last night, and it appears that a 1996 4v and a 1996 2v radiator are the same unit... I will be researching today to see if that's the case. if it is, a 2004 cobra radiator will work fine. i may go aftermarket as well..

i plan on working out the heat-exchanger this weekend ;-)

KWClutch

Reaction score
You'll have to get an 03/04 Radiator. They are 10 times better than any 96-98 stuff and I heard they are better than most aftermarket ones too.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea??? no overheating problems at 500 HP? I dont plan on over-killing the cooling system like i am the fuel system (ready for 1000 HP.) From what i understand over-cooling the motor can have negative effects as well.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Ya, it can have negative effects, like premature bearing wipe, incorrect fueling, incorrect timing, etc.... engines need heat to run correctly, and oil needs heat to function correctly.

I would go with an OEM radiator if you can, the aftermarket ones are shaky at times.... cant beat the quality of OEM sometimes.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
that is a good question... I bet you can run 500+hp with them.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Ya, but you can only think so far ahead. it would be cool to be able to buy all your stuff once tho.....

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea, if the OEM cooling works fairly well up to 500 HP with some more boost buildin' up.... ill just stick with OEM.

KWClutch

Reaction score
03/04 Radiator is good to like 800 I think. The H/E is barely good to 381. lol It's a piece of crap.

Shame302

Reaction score
I didn't really read back, so I'm not totally sure what you ended up with. I had a lengthy, detailed post all typed out for you but through the magic wonder of the internet and one twitchy finger i was banned at that very moment. Oh well. Anyway, cliffs notes time.

grab the entire dash. Likely they will probably remove it for the harness away, and you need that harness to run the termi cluster. Might as well update the dash and center console. I would grab the clutch/brake pedal box and accelerator pedal. They look better and have resale value.

grab the harness that goes through the firewall from the computer. It has a retaining clip way up inside the dash by the windshield and is a pita. That harness goes through the firewall to the "calibration" block by the hood hinge. The engine harness and trans harness (rev. lockout, O2 sensors etc) plug in there, you will need those as well. The harness follows the back side of the apron inside the fender and contains the CCRM as well as things like the MAF, IAT, E-fan, AC, passengers side headlight and fog lights etc....Grab it all.

I would grab the drivers side harness as well. They feed things like the windshield wipers, cruise, horn, windshield washer, drivers side headlights and fog lights, power distribution/fuse box, coolant tank sensor, abs/traction control etc....if you don't end up using it you can always sell it, but im not sure how different it is from your car. Better to have it than not. This way you will have all the wiring from the dash up.

Cruise control cable and throttle cable.

Hydroboost. If your car doesn't have it, you will need it in order for the 4valve to fit. I "think" you can plumb into your rack. If not, I know i have an extra one, or pick one up yourself. Hydroboost unit/MC, the lines, the pump (should be on the engine) etc.

Grab whatever hose is attached to the car.

PATS. grab the gauge, cluster, computer, keys, key cyl and the module. The Pats module (little green connector and 10" or so harness) is in the column, right above the key. (probably just grab the entire column intact.) Grab all of the locks, the door, glove box, trunk.

That ought to get you close. No reason why you can't pull it off yourself, no need for a tune either (though i would throw an intake, pulley and dyno tune on it).

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
holy cow. lol. thats alot of stuff.

does anyone have pics of all this stuff? lol. they are supposed to be finished pulling the motor and im supposed to pick it up this week... the PS system should work off my 96, right? with the exception of a single line?

Shame302

Reaction score
the PS system should work off my 96, right? with the exception of a single line?
Hydroboost brakes are integrated into the PS system on 99-04 V8 cars. Hydroboost unit has 3 lines, the rack has 4 fittings, the reservoir has 2 lines which include the cooler, and then there is the pump.

Ninja edit:
Your car probably already has hydroboost.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Shame302 said:
the PS system should work off my 96, right? with the exception of a single line?
Hydroboost brakes are integrated into the PS system on 99-04 V8 cars. Hydroboost unit has 3 lines, the rack has 4 fittings, the reservoir has 2 lines which include the cooler, and then there is the pump.

Ninja edit:
Your car probably already has hydroboost.

i *know* it already does. started in 96 if im not mistaken, but i figure i can always find a PS line if it doesnt work... does anyone know off the top of their head which line needs modification? (if not, its cool. ill find out. thats the least of my worries. lol)

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Sounds like you got some quality help on this one, wish I was there to help you figure out all the parts you need tho... I like taking shit apart... haha!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online