1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

d.garza18

Reaction score
Figured I’d make a build thread about my car and any questions etc I will ask on here I’m tired of being “that guy†who creates a thread for every problem lol. Anyways the car is completely bone stock I’ve had it going on two years and it’s my first and only car. It has its fair share of problems here and there but I still love it. Right now I’m aiming for full bolt ons and eventually get into boost later down the lines. O/r x pipe rear Koni shocks slotted and drilled rotors and brakes will be put on sometime next week and ditching the dorman intake it’s a POS and going to slap on a Pi mani. The car is currently laser red with black top but I will be painting it magnetic grey within a couple weeks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I read a cool car....can we get some pics? Post up pics now cause years leter youll look back at your progress. And not to mention we all love pics.

Those dorman intakes are junk for any performance. I work at the place that makes the Ford pi intakes and i cant see any other company replicating the process and be able to make any profit. Ill mention the corvette 6.2l intake is made nearly the same way. Anyhow, youll see a huge difference when you switch.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Thanks man! And yeah the Dorman’s junk, performance is poor as hell with it. It’s lost power if you ask me. I sold my pi mani I had set aside so I’m looking for one ASAP so if someone has one lmk! Going to try and pick one up tomorrow at the local pull apart but it’s not a guarantee

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
93029cd0e12f97dda9c456167bad555c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When the time comes do not junk your wheels, they are high quality and very strong..O wait they are ugly crap dime a dozen POS, sell them to me.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Haha these wheels actually don’t look too bad to me but here soon they’ll probably just end up in the corner anyways.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
No luck on a pi manifold and I really don’t feel like paying full price for one atm. Bbk o/r xpipe should be here tomorrow also with the Koni rear shocks.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
For what its worth. You can find complete PI engine for like 400/500 bucks. So when you think about it for around double the price of a new PI intake manifold you can have a complete PI engine with PI heads and the intake/cams.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
True I’ve danced around with that idea lately but idk, I really would like to build up the Npi engine. Ultimate goal for it is cams full bolt ons forged bottom end and have 96black work on the npi heads and eventually throw some boost to the thing. But if the engine does shit on itself then pi swap it is

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but the 99-04 mustangs came with an aluminum crossover right? I contacted a guy on Facebook about some pi manis he claimed to have and he has this page with strictly mustang parts etc and claims that’s all he deals with. Long story short he sent me two pictures of “PI Intakes” he has for sale and one of them appears to be a dorman and the other a oem 96-98 with the plastic crossover but he’s claiming it’s PI and that the 99-04 2vs came with the plastic crossover

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Alum crossover didn't happen until 02? Ish. So for 3 years or so there were all plastic pi ford manifolds. They can last, I had one for 10 years. Someday I'll post pics on that when I dig them up. Chances are better with the better crossover though. Dormans look like an NPI with pi portd for good reason, because they basically are. Buy a real Ford unless you're flipping the car to a moron and have other projects, lol. The real pi has a swept runner of much larger size, the NPI is small with a few 90 degree bends in it. It's horrible. There's tons of pics online.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Thanks for the info much appreciated! I wasn’t aware of the plastic crossover with the pi manifolds I thought it was just a 96-98 thing. And yeah the plans to get a ford one but I haven’t been able to find one for a decent price I really don’t feel like spending $300 for a new one

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have an all plastic pi intake laying around doing nothing, collecting dust. Pay for the shipping and its yours, but be for warned. Those plastic crossovers can crack, dumping coolant into the cylinders.

If you want to spend money on an intake and plan to keep the car, buy an aluminum edelbrock intake.

Again about the npi heads...i feel like a broken record. My npi heads are supporting 6000+ rpm gear changing with a 5.4l. Thats unheard of! Pulls strong all the way. Npi are cheap and heck, most will give them away! Thats my price range too! My car is fun to drive. Im racing strong competition and holding my own.....my car is considered a jalopy to most, but its mine and costs me little to nothing more than gas and oil.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
How much is the shipping? And I would still have to do the rtv on the ports right? And does the same thing apply for the edlebrock one? I may just have to some you up on that offer anything’s better than this pos dorman lol.

Also also love your build thread! Love how your willing to go outside the box of things. Inspires me to do the same once I build this old motor

i do plan on keeping this car yes it’s my first and I’ve turned down a couple offers for it already. I love the old thing it has its wear and tear but I love it like it’s a 2018 Shelby haha

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You state "go outside the box".....that is not on purpose. I gotta do this stuff within my means...lol. Well,...yeah i do tend to be drawn to the underdog scenario.

I can box the intake up and get it quoted. Let you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online