1996 Mustang GT HPDE Track Car

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Looks sweet. Are you using a Momo hub? How is it located by comparison to the stock steering wheel, as far as distance from the steering column goes?

I can take pictures of it. I actually have a spare MOMO wheel that I may sell that comes with a hub as well. That one fit much nicer than the one I have on the race car.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
****UPDATE****

I went to drop the flywheel off at the machine shop who is working on the heads and he found 2 bent valves. I should have the flywheel and heads back tomorrow. New pistons are on the way, as well as gaskets and piston rings. Unfortunately the pistons won't be here until wednesday so I won't have many updates until then. I need to order a clutch tonight as well and that should be it for engine parts.

I also picked up a helmet for events tonight but don't have any pics currently. Its a white Icon helmet with 3 visors. One chrome, one tinted, and one clear.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I can take pictures of it. I actually have a spare MOMO wheel that I may sell that comes with a hub as well. That one fit much nicer than the one I have on the race car.

Keep me posted.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Keep me posted.

Not forgetting about you. Going to go out in a few minutes and get some photos for you and send you a PM.

Anyways a little update on the car. The valves didn't make it to the machine shop friday so I won't have the heads back until this afternoon. All the gaskets, ford racing clutch, clutch parts, engine parts and suspension parts have been ordered. Below is a list of what has been ordered and when it is expected to be here.

-Ford Racing HD Clutch Kit. Wednesday 6/24
-Ford Racing Pilot Bearing. Wednesday 6/24
-Factory 96-98 Pistons/Rods. Wednesday 6/24
-Spec Billet Aluminum Flywheel. Tuesday 6/23
-Mahle Piston Rings. Wednesday 6/24
-Fel-Pro Engine Gasket Kit. Wednesday 6/24
-Factory Romeo 11 Bolt Valve Covers. Thursday 6/25
-Maximum Motorsports HD Torque Arm w/ Springs, Panhard Bar, Weld-In Adjustable Sway Bar Kit. Monday 6/29

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Keep me posted.

96 GT Steering Wheel Setup. Sparco 383R Wheel w/ Momo Hub.

hffz27J.jpg

6a0G3ec.jpg

98 Cobra Steering Wheel Setup. Momo wheel and hub. Notice how the clock spring is still there. Just modified to cover more of the steering column.

WWWa2o0.jpg

0vT1ZgF.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Hmm, looks like the Sparco setup makes the steering wheel further away from the driver than stock. That's not good. I wonder if they have a spacer or something, or perhaps I have to consider a different steering wheel.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
This build will be pretty cool! I might have missed it but what did you decide as far as the engine? I really like the thought of doing the teksid block. They dissipate heat nicely and the weight lost is always a plus. Also, I think the teksid block will be a little more forgiving with the compression than the iron block will. Just a thought though.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
This build will be pretty cool! I might have missed it but what did you decide as far as the engine? I really like the thought of doing the teksid block. They dissipate heat nicely and the weight lost is always a plus. Also, I think the teksid block will be a little more forgiving with the compression than the iron block will. Just a thought though.

Just doing a pretty much stock rebuild for now. I might build a new engine for it over winter when I have more time to iron out the details. Found a set of pistons for $50 and ordered all new bearings,gaskets,rings,etc for the engine. Ended up buying a set of head studs as well instead of replacing the tty head bolts. While I'm at it I will be installing a spec billet aluminum flywheel and a ford racing clutch kit.

Hmm, looks like the Sparco setup makes the steering wheel further away from the driver than stock. That's not good. I wonder if they have a spacer or something, or perhaps I have to consider a different steering wheel.

It does sit pretty far away especially if you have long legs and have to sit back pretty far. I might install a quick release hub or spacer to bring it closer a few inches.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=9209]ReplicaR[/MENTION], regarding the steering wheel, I've replaced mine with a MOMO Mod.07. It's apparently got like a 3" dish which puts the steering wheel closer to your chest (the "stock" arrangement steering wheels [such as my previous MOMO] are almost flat, no dish). I'll be happy to take some pics of where it sits once it arrives.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
****UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE****

Life and business has been very hectic the last few weeks so I haven't had much if any time to even think about the car but I got a couple free days this week and was able to put a few hours into the race car. I will be posting up some pics shortly but here is a little rundown of what was accomplished the past 2 days.

Day 1 (8/30/15)
-Put car on chassis setup cart
-Removed k member, struts, camber plates, springs, arms, spindles, etc
-Installed Griggs Racing SLA Kit
-Installed Griggs Racing Bumpsteer Kit
-Squared K member and set base line alignment
-Positioned Griggs Racing Adjustable Front Sway Bar

Day 2 (8/31/15)
-Rerouted brake lines to work with SLA kit
-Welded Griggs Racing sway bar kit onto frame
-Assembled Cobra brake kit to work with SLA kit
-Installed brake duct brackets and hose