200,000 mile GT build

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Worked on the fuel tank today

Pulled the old fuel pump assembly out of the tank Dont know why ford couldn't make the opening a little bit bigger to make it easier to slide the assembly in and out. the assembly was replaced at some point in 2004 for sure. The hat and the pump itself are dated 2/18/04. Wonder if the tank was changed as well.

While i was picking up the tank I noticed something rattling around inside the tank itself. Once the assembly was out and stuck my head in there and realized there was a bit of plastic in the tank. After fishing it out I realized it was the end of the fuel fill neck that fell off. wonder how long that's been floating around in there. Was shocked at how clean it was inside the tank!

51679978373_13c7573bff_o.jpg

Took the old pump and filters/socks/strainers whatever you want to call them off. Cleaned out the inside of the assembly before dropping the Deatschwerks 340lph pump in the housing and replaced both of the filters. I am extremely disappointed in the Deatschwerks pump. Not only did they not include the plug adaptor that its suppose to come with but they also dont include the filter/strainer for the pump itself. They only include the one that goes on the bottom of the assembly. I just hope this pump is as good as everyone makes it out to be.

Besides those annoyances, the pump was a direct drop in unit and the exact same size and orientation as the factory pump.

51679978403_f8a1904d6a_o.jpg

51680394304_dc98884a80_o.jpg

51680609360_c42544bac7_o.jpg

Didn't get a chance to put the tank back in the car. Hopefully can find time during the week as I really want to stop crawling underneath the car with this cold weather coming!

Last edited:

Gregomatic

Reaction score
After fishing it out I realized it was the end of the fuel fill neck that fell off
Heh heh, that's funny. Hey at least it was fuel related...
I had a foreign object rolling around in mine and once extracted, was surprised to find it was the head of an old cheaply made AAA battery penlight with one of those tiny incandescent bulbs. Looks like the shallow threads gave way to the pressure of the battery spring.

And I'm thinking, What the heck were they trying to look at?!? It's not like you can see the bottom!

People are strange...

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Random thought that has been in my head the last few days... fuel injectors!

My current fuel set up is a Deatschwerks 340lph pump and 42lb green top injectors everything else is stock. While im sure it would be fine, I have been doing some research and think I might want/need to upgrade to a bigger set? I'm thinking of picking up a 60lb or 80lb set of injectors. What I am seeing is that 42lb injectors typically max at around mid 400hp. I believe, that I should be making about mid 400rwhp possible more with my setup.

The way I look at it is, I dont want to be running injectors at their limit creating a bottleneck or worse, risk leaning out. Is it possible to have too big of an injector? I feel the 80lb kit would definitely be more than I would ever need and seeing as they are only $35 more than the 60lb set I dont see why I wouldn't get the bigger injectors?

What does everyone think? Open to feedback!

Build List below

Teksid block bored .020 over
Cobra crank
Forged 17cc dished pistons
Forged H-beam rods
ARP rod bolts & head studs
Ported Windsor 2v heads
Anderson F-52 cams
78mm throttle body
Procharger P1SC-2
Mishimoto S-line intercooler
PMAS HPX MAF

Heh heh, that's funny. Hey at least it was fuel related...
I had a foreign object rolling around in mine and once extracted, was surprised to find it was the head of an old cheaply made AAA battery penlight with one of those tiny incandescent bulbs. Looks like the shallow threads gave way to the pressure of the battery spring.

And I'm thinking, What the heck were they trying to look at?!? It's not like you can see the bottom!

People are strange...

Wow yeah not something I would want to see when looking inside of a gas tank! wonder how long it was in there lol

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I know that n/a vs boosted numbers are a little different when it comes to injector potential but my 36lbs injectors are supporting mid-upper 400’s wheel hp no problem. That being said, if you ever plan to run more or you plan to run e85, go big with the injector. Make sure you buy quality parts that come with injector data. Also, there is a point where an injector is too big the pulse width can only be lowered so much and sometimes it’s more fuel than needed at idle. I don’t know where that point is, but I do not believe 80’s are too big.

I’ll also say that an injector is performing its best when it is almost at its max potential and you use all of it. It atomizes fuel the best, rather than just turning on a garden hose of an injector when you don’t need that much fuel.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Sort of productive day wrenching

Got a handful of odds and ends finished up. Also ran into a few issues. I'll start with the good, got a lot of the small things buttoned up, like the power steering lines, AC dryer, AC condenser trans harness wiring along with some other things. The AC dryer was suppose to be a flat black color, it fits so Im not worried about it right now. Might just paint it black as it sort of sticks out and is an eye sore to me.

51695596492_a42ba71262_o.jpg

51696664653_95ed8f7439_o.jpg

51697066279_d6727558e3_o.jpg

Then it was onto the issues. First issues I ran into was the radiator. I got a new Mishimoto radiator it appears to be missing some of the hardware. I should have two more of the long bolts and one more of the small bolt. I shot an email to Mishimoto to see if they can send me the hardware. if not ill just run to the store. Besides that, the build quality of the radiator seems time notch

51695596397_8106a41664_o.jpg

51696389086_e2248e31ca_o.jpg

The second issues I ran into was the SLP X-pipe. I've had this on my car for years with stock manifolds with no issues. I guess these old school ford racing manifolds have a bigger collector? The driver side manifold is larger than the ball mouth opening of the SLP mid pipe. Not sure what im going to do here. I'm either going to see if a local exhaust shop and open it up a bit more or find a correct size flange, cut the current flange off and weld the new flange onto the pipe. Not sure what route I will go.

51695596347_1b012bed21_o.jpg

51697274925_c11953eb6e_o.jpg

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
I know that n/a vs boosted numbers are a little different when it comes to injector potential but my 36lbs injectors are supporting mid-upper 400’s wheel hp no problem. That being said, if you ever plan to run more or you plan to run e85, go big with the injector. Make sure you buy quality parts that come with injector data. Also, there is a point where an injector is too big the pulse width can only be lowered so much and sometimes it’s more fuel than needed at idle. I don’t know where that point is, but I do not believe 80’s are too big.

I’ll also say that an injector is performing its best when it is almost at its max potential and you use all of it. It atomizes fuel the best, rather than just turning on a garden hose of an injector when you don’t need that much fuel.

I did a bit more digging around and it seems that you are onto something with having too big of an injector. Looks like it can be difficult to properly tune a too large of an injector especially at idle.

joe65

Reaction score
hey, I like the progress! Regarding a teksid build. My shortblock just was finished and i need to pick it up sometime soon. .020 over, kellogg crank, 03 cobra manely rods and manley platinum pistons. I'm debating now which boost source i'm going to go with. anyways, here's a good chart from LMR regarding injectors.

1637604654197.png

07GtS197

Reaction score
I remember years ago when installing my upr o/r x there was an adaptor flange that was slightly larger than the one on the x pipe itself that could be slid into one of the collectors. I can’t seem to find another one but they have to be out there.

You’re going to have a hard time having paint on the drier stick. And even if it does it will crack from the expansion and contraction of it. Plastidip might work though.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
hey, I like the progress! Regarding a teksid build. My shortblock just was finished and i need to pick it up sometime soon. .020 over, kellogg crank, 03 cobra manely rods and manley platinum pistons. I'm debating now which boost source i'm going to go with. anyways, here's a good chart from LMR regarding injectors.

View attachment 13637

Sounds like that will be one nasty motor! can't wait to see which source of boost you decide to go with! As for the fuel injectors, that is actually the chart that made me realize that my 42lb injectors might not be enough lol. I am leaning towards picking up a 60lb set especially with black Friday deals going on right now

I remember years ago when installing my upr o/r x there was an adaptor flange that was slightly larger than the one on the x pipe itself that could be slid into one of the collectors. I can’t seem to find another one but they have to be out there.

You’re going to have a hard time having paint on the drier stick. And even if it does it will crack from the expansion and contraction of it. Plastidip might work though.

I googled the UPR midpipes and on google images it looks like there is one stock photo that shows the adaptor flange you are referring too. Of course it seems that UPR no longer makes their midpipes. just my luck lol. still scratching my head as to what to do and why these FRPP shorty headers would have a bigger collector.

Good point on the paint not wanting to stick the the AC drier! I'll have to see if i can find a black one as they all seem to be sliver now. I'd reuse the factory black one but my old AC compressor was on its last leg and I wouldn't want to contaminate an entire new system

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Thanks buddy, that is exactly what I needed to hear.

After much experience with Plastidip, I would consider this one of the very FEW applications that I would actually consider legit!

I loved the stuff when it first came out..
Not
Any
More

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

View attachment 13637
thats one reason why i added a kenne bell boost pump to mine ,just crank that dial up

07GtS197

Reaction score
Sounds like that will be one nasty motor! can't wait to see which source of boost you decide to go with! As for the fuel injectors, that is actually the chart that made me realize that my 42lb injectors might not be enough lol. I am leaning towards picking up a 60lb set especially with black Friday deals going on right now

I googled the UPR midpipes and on google images it looks like there is one stock photo that shows the adaptor flange you are referring too. Of course it seems that UPR no longer makes their midpipes. just my luck lol. still scratching my head as to what to do and why these FRPP shorty headers would have a bigger collector.

Good point on the paint not wanting to stick the the AC drier! I'll have to see if i can find a black one as they all seem to be sliver now. I'd reuse the factory black one but my old AC compressor was on its last leg and I wouldn't want to contaminate an entire new system
I’m ASSuming that some brands had those larger collectors and that’s why upr supplied that piece. Who knows. If someone can find a name for it that would help.

Any time the ac system is open at all the drier needs to be replaced anyway. I went through that when fixing the ac in my 87 Grand Marquis. I ended up going with a 4 Seasons black drier, all the others were silver. Fast forward a couple of months and the paint is cracked and coming off. Oh well. If I ever get the motivation to I’ll dip it or even a bit of bed liner. I like the dip idea because prep is minimal and even if it starts coming off spray some more.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Been a busy few weekends. The to-do list is slowly getting smaller and smaller!

Ordered all new AC lines as the entire system is brand new and it is not a good idea to mix and match old AC components with new ones. Two out of the three lines I ordered are an exact fit. That third line wasn't even close unfortunately. It is the "discharge" line that is the issue. The only discharge line listed for a 99 GT on rockauto is not the same line that is on my car, it's not even close. To make matters worse, I can't find this same AC line anywhere listed online or in a ford parts catalog. Back to the drawing board.

51728048490_d56ea55d40_o.jpg

Got the Mishimoto Radiator installed. Not too keen on the fit on it if I am being honest. I have to see if there are different radiator bushings or something because it has a good amount of movement even with the brackets installed. Also since it is a thicker radiator pushes the factory fan back just far enough to rest up against the brake lines where they ABS unit is. Going to see if I can gently bend them back a hair or go with a slim fan, i just dont like having to splice wiring harnesses.

Also had to remove the battery tray to get it in place. not a big deal at all just figured I'd let others know.

51727165576_b0b299b231_o.jpg

Mocked up the intercooler and piping. It's not in its final form yet, I still have to mess around with the intercooler brackets and get it to sit level. I love that this Mishimoto S-Line intercooler fit perfectly behind the factory crash bar with not cutting or drilling needed. I decided to route the piping through the factory air intake hole in the passenger side fender well. I see a lot of people just cut a hole in the inner fender and run the piping that way. I dont know why they don't just route it where there is a nice factory opening.

51727165486_d1071fb2a1_o.jpg

51727413438_f16d6a02d2_o.jpg

51727165361_90491c4254_o.jpg

51728048165_d1b2857c6d_o.jpg

I do need to pick up a 10" straight pipe to connect it from the procharger to the piping by the radiator fan. I also need to figure out what I am going to do about the section that connects to the throttle body as I know it needs a bung for the IAC as well as the flange for the MAF. Then i need to decide where to weld the Tial BOV flange. current plan is somewhere in the piping by the radiator fan. I am going with a blow through MAF setup using a PMAS HPX MAF

51727817629_27c2c41c1b_o.jpg

51727165291_0ba7f8c491_o.jpg

Also mocked up the intake for the P1SC. A buddy gave me a homemade intake from an old one that he use to have. It's not super pretty and with the Mishimoto radiator... it doesn't really fit. it is resting right on the upper radiator outlet. Might just throw on of those short stubby filters on the actual Procharger itself.

51727817389_03321177ed_o.jpg

51726356452_eea871cf7d_o.jpg

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
You’ll be fine reusing that stock ac line. As long as it gets flushed really well and holds a vacuum you’ll be good to go. I used an old condenser with new compressor, evaporator, lines and drier on my 87 Grand Marquis. It’s been 2 years with no issues.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
You’ll be fine reusing that stock ac line. As long as it gets flushed really well and holds a vacuum you’ll be good to go. I used an old condenser with new compressor, evaporator, lines and drier on my 87 Grand Marquis. It’s been 2 years with no issues.

This might be my only option! glad I didn't throw it out when I took the motor out

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you’re dead set on new stuff, look at a 98 line. That looks just like the one on my car.

With the mishi radiator, it’s a really good piece. The mount points are a little odd but the lifetime warranty is worth it. And don’t swap your stock fan unless you HAVE to, and if you do, get a GOOD fan. A lot of aftermarket fans don’t move enough air and the parts store replacements will burn up pretty quick.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
If you’re dead set on new stuff, look at a 98 line. That looks just like the one on my car.

With the mishi radiator, it’s a really good piece. The mount points are a little odd but the lifetime warranty is worth it. And don’t swap your stock fan unless you HAVE to, and if you do, get a GOOD fan. A lot of aftermarket fans don’t move enough air and the parts store replacements will burn up pretty quick.

I checked out the 98 line, it does look very similar but it also looks like the end that connects to the condenser has a 90* bend, mine is straight. I'll have to see if I can find other pictures of it.

I do love the quality of the Misimoto rad it does look top notch, just the mounting is a big odd. the lifetime warranty is a huge plus. This is exactly why I want to keep my stock fan I've heard people run into a ton of issues with those universal fans. Like i said, ill try and gently bend the lines back a bit, just enough to get some clearance between it and the fan shroud. worst case ill get some rubber hose and sleeve it around the brake line to create a buffer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrowdKiller

Members online