2004 Screaming Yellow Cobra Build

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never wrote a build thread before but I've read tons of them so I'll give this a shot lol

Quick Preface about the car, purchased on July 1st, 2011 from a Company called Black's Automotive outside of Orlando, Florida. I would never recommend this used car dealer to anyone as they took 50 days... yes almost two months to pay my trade in off! Incredibly unprofessional! I noticed a lot of weird things about the car on the drive home to Fort Walton Beach. Tried to ignore them as I was just happy to have my dream car and to get rid of my 2010 Mustang GT. The car had a hair over 50,000 miles when i purchased it.

Trading the 2010 for the Cobra

267666_1816301575923_1491600177_31471090_4075524_n.jpg

Dealer shot of the interior

Dealer shot of the engine bay

So once I got the car on the lift i found a few things out about it. It had been modified as well as neglected. I suspect that the first owner loved and cared for it and he/she is the one that modded the car, then the second owner drove it into the ground. Carfax says that I am the third owner of this vehicle. Anyway, I did an oil change and the old oil came out very black, changed the fuel filter, recharged the K&N filter because it was black, changed the spark plugs to TR6's which are a step colder than stock. After that i drove the car home to South Carolina for a little bit and found a few more things that needed attention, namely the brake pads were worn down heavily to where they had begun to dig into the rotor. I also figured out that the rear shocks were blown so i am replace those as well.

Random pic in Navarre

Drove back to Florida and this is when my problem started lol. Around august or so the weather began to become cooler and the supercharger loved the dense air, i was hitting peak boost as high as 14 pounds instead of 12-12.5 like i was in the summer. One night a buddy of mine and i were having a little fun and did a few pulls up to 4th gear. During one of the pulls i suspect that my Intercooler pump took a poop and the IAT temps skyrocketed to over 240 degrees. Then the knocking started
frown.png
sad day for me.

I had to deploy with the United States Air Force shortly after the knocking started and it was already planned that my father would come pick up the car and take it to SC to keep an eye on it, now he was going to trouble shoot the knock while i was over in Afghanistan. He got the long block out and tore apart the short block a week or so ago and found a damaged piston that had kissed the cylinder wall.

Dad picking up the Cobra

Alright, got a few pics uploaded that my father took and sent to me of the tear down and what he found inside.

Valve Covers and Supercharger off

0c7249c9.jpg

Heads and front timing cover off

5ffbfd47.jpg

Short block out, you can see the SPEC clutch that the prev. owner had installed here

And here is the damage, father said the piston was able to slightly rock back and forth inside the bore...

This is how she will sit till I get home

So, the master plan is just a set of new pistons, there are guys that have taken the stock rotating components to 800rwhp reliably with the stock stuff. Also a side note, i'm looking to go turbo by next year so I'm trying to keep a low budget for now.

-New pistons with compression ratio between 9.2-9.8:1 (stock is 8.5 or 8.8 IIRC)
-Complete gasket set
-Hi-volume oil pump
-New water pump
-ARP hardware where applicable
-New bearings
-Block is going to be punched out .020 over
-MAFia for the MAF, already ordered
-BAP for the fuel pumps
-Stock injectors should be alright for now(we'll know for sure on the dyno)
-Home port of the blower
-New set of front Idler pulleys by BilletFlow
-Powdercoating the valve covers
-Painting various underhood components

And finally, I've already emailed Fastlane Motorsports for the tuning of the car in NC.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent Dal a PM requesting the thread to be moved.

Shit happens with the motor, i should have changed the IC pump when i first thought it was going out, but i was about to deploy and didnt want to mess with it lol Oh well.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Shit happens with the motor, i should have changed the IC pump when i first thought it was going out, but i was about to deploy and didnt want to mess with it lol Oh well.

At least it will be done right and hopefully you won't run into any other major issues. Also have you considered changing over to a JLT CAI?

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
I sent Dal a PM requesting the thread to be moved.

i just got my termi back running and it feels great! LOL but i still havent drove it 1)because of shit weather 2) it has old gas in it and i dont wanna run the motor hard with that in it 3) one of the pulleys make a horrible noise and i dont want it to lock up :/

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian - I dont think we will have any other issues besides getting the timing right when we put it back together, and I have thought about it because they came out with some much better looking and well designed revisions to their old systems.
smCobra CAI 2 001.jpg

miss2slocoupe - thats good to hear! hopefully you get to drive it soon! and try and find the pulley fast! I let mine go for a bit and tried to mask the sound with WD-40 and this is what happened lol
216901_1865137716796_1491600177_31529700_7003671_n.jpg

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Brian - I dont think we will have any other issues besides getting the timing right when we put it back together, and I have thought about it because they came out with some much better looking and well designed revisions to their old systems.

Yeah, Jay Tucker (JLT) is a local here. He's good friends with my family and his shop is about 10 minutes down the street from my house. He's a great guy and is always trying to improve his products. I highly recommend his over any others. My car will be getting one in the near future.

blkmcnasty

Reaction score
Miss2slo, i have no choice but to believe that you have some sort of sugar daddy or that you possibly work in the exotic performing arts to fund your black cobra and orange forba rides. I respect both of them but i feel like i need to tell me truth because our relationship can no longer continue with thse lies that you are living, please set me straight....

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Jeremy, what didn't you like about the 2010 GT or was it just that the 03/04 Cobra was your dream car and you had the opportunity to get one?

Blkmcnasty, haha she's going to be mad you called it orange. This should get interesting :)

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
Miss2slo, i have no choice but to believe that you have some sort of sugar daddy or that you possibly work in the exotic performing arts to fund your black cobra and orange forba rides. I respect both of them but i feel like i need to tell me truth because our relationship can no longer continue with thse lies that you are living, please set me straight....

HAHAH no sugar daddies here :)

Jeremy, what didn't you like about the 2010 GT or was it just that the 03/04 Cobra was your dream car and you had the opportunity to get one?

Blkmcnasty, haha she's going to be mad you called it orange. This should get interesting :)

ive learned that people are color blind.....

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian - I loved the 2010 GT, it was a lot of fun and i drove the crap out of it! Took it down the 1/8th a good 50 times learning different things about what to do on the drag strip and what not. The interior was awesome and SYNC really made the car enjoyable on long trips. I put 31,000 miles on the car in a period of 14 months! So i really loved driving it, It was just that the value was depreciating as fast as i could make payments on it and i found a dealer that would trade it on the cobra. Besides the cobra makes more power from the start, responds better to mods, and has more potential to make power :)

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Very true. I guess if it was a 2011 it would have been a different story. The termi is one of my favorite cars for sure but the luxuries of the newer cars is just incredible. Anyways, I'm going to keep an eye on the build bud! Keep up the good work. And thank you very much for serving our country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online