4.6 to 5.4 swap problems

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Remember that alternators work in ether direction and can be mounted in front of the engine mounted backwards and the frame to hold it is simple and it runs off the regular belt position. I am trying to find the picture of how I did it but that was 10 years ago.

Here is the pictures of the driver side 2V and 3V heads side by side with the cams both at TDC for number 6 cylinder. The cam sensor is in the same place on both timing covers but the 3V has 5 "pins" sticking out on the VVT. It would be nice to loose 4 pins and run 3V heads on a 2V engine. lots of flow, almost as much as a 4V but a ton of cam choices.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1477-D.jpg

IMG_1478-D.jpg

Silver95bird

Reaction score
If the keyways are in the same place relative to the lobes, I'd go with the closest to the same spot that way. Or dial up intake valve #5 so it's starting to open on both heads and pick the closest one.

The alternators were like that on the Allen engine s/c cars. They're a relic now, but Mn12s are especially tight on space. Would moving the alt even help? I thought the throttle body would hit before the alternator.

On the plus side, my daughter is looking forward to the local car show Friday. She's going with her mom in the other mustang. Tough keeping a fleet moving.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
You can use a 2v ecu to run a 3v but you have to get cam gears as the number of tabs is different. Also remember that 3v’s use vct so the cams will have to get locked either fully advanced or fully retarded. As far as I know there is no getting around this. 3v swaps were never really popular so there isnt too much out there for them. Frpp did release a 3v swap kit years ago but its geared towards a 4.6 (tuning could be changed) and imo its too expensive to be worth it. I do like the idea though because 3v’s are under dogs now that the coyote is out there.

Also if this build were to be cobbled together (not in a bad way I mean) and you were to get an alternator from another vehicle you have to remember some are clutched. I know for sure mitsubishi and denso alternators used on 05+ p71s and 10 mustang gts respectively, used clutched alternators so neither can be turned around.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would lock out the VVT, then there are many more cam choices made by all the big names, many more than for the 4V. Dealing with the cam tabs issue is where we are now, what to cut off?
-I talked to Bullett Cams and they will make any 3V cam with a2V front cam connection on it for 5000.00 and 12 weeks lead time, so scratch that idea.
-I think I am good enough to cut and weld 2 different cams together for a composite hack.
- 3V heads are 52 cc chambers and 3V pistons are flat top so VtoP clearance is going to be a problem when raising the compression.
- I have to look how the intake runners change the velocity, that system could be handy and easy to keep?
-Dump the AC and mount the alternator there.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What about a set of 2v style gears that are made to fit the 3v cam? I was doing a little bit of reading and apparently there were a couple people making them a few years back. I cant seem to locate them right now, though.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good idea, not bad,not bad.
-Holley makes a cable drive conversion for the TB.
-Need to see if stock cams are good enough with out the VVT doing the retard on the timing, where's Gary?
- What pound are the injectors?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Some big name used to sell 3v cam gears with the right amount of tabs to be used with a stock 2v ecu but I cant seem to find them anymore.

If you plan on using a 5.4 3v truck intake you wont be able to use the stock hood and its really only good for low end torque. The 3v heads flow comparable to a 4v head so if a manifold with shorter runners were available you could really use the full potential of the heads.

If the stock injectors are the same as the 4.6 then they should be 24#.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I saw a build years ago where they dropped a 3V into a new edge. To get the cams to work they cut 3 of the tangs off of the phaser. Of course it was locked out as well. How they decided which 3 I have no idea.

Oh, and the 3V was rated at 305hp. I keep trying to get my wife to let me put some kind of supercharger on her car.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I saw a build years ago where they dropped a 3V into a new edge. To get the cams to work they cut 3 of the tangs off of the phaser. Of course it was locked out as well. How they decided which 3 I have no idea.

Oh, and the 3V was rated at 305hp. I keep trying to get my wife to let me put some kind of supercharger on her car.

Remember flapjack on s197 forum? Do you remember what intake he was using?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good idea, not bad,not bad.
-Holley makes a cable drive conversion for the TB.
-Need to see if stock cams are good enough with out the VVT doing the retard on the timing, where's Gary?
- What pound are the injectors?
Gary knows nothing! Dont trust him

Silver95bird

Reaction score
You're so baaaaaad. You're evil. Must be Gary's fault. He brings out the worst in ewe.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the intake off of a Mustang so the hood should close?
-Cams could be lame without the retard action
-25 pound injectors would be nice
-I would have to make up a fuel line return connector on the rail and add a pressure regulator

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Does the 3v cam gears alter retard and advance?

To my understanding they only alter in one direction from a base point and it advances cam timing.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
The base is the fully advanced position. Lockouts keep it that way. It's a good thing, that's the way modulars make power anyway.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, this thread has morphed into how to fit 3V heads on to a 4.6.
- The parts I have are from a 2007 4.6 GT Mustang
- I used the 3V WAP block in another build.
- The parts I have are all leftover junk, so time for a new build thread.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online

No members online now.