4.6 to 5.4 swap problems

07GtS197

Reaction score
Oh ok lol. In that case it should be much easier.

There are still a few issues though. I dont remember if anyone said it but the flanges for the headers are different. LMR used to sell an adaptor to use 2v headers but I havent seen them in a while. You also need to buy charge motion delete plates since you have no way of controlling them. And the throttle body and iac will need to be addressed. Ive seen people use cobra tb’s but there is no way to mount an iac.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
-Remote mount IAC is common.
-Custom exhaust, no problem.
-Charge motion looks easy to keep working, just use a stand alone adjustable manifold pressure switch. I found 2 yesterday in my junk pile from running a Snow Methanol Injection 15 years ago.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How? The rods could be lighter with a set of Chinese I beams than Ford's but unless I go to a high end crank and Carrillo rods there is not much that is lighter than stock. I do like the NPR pistons with the tops and sides coated, they are 12% stronger than stock and they are the OEM supplier so the weight is the same, low cost, quiet running.

Now to the CR problems:
That -.108 deck is a killer, if I run 13:1 CR I want close piston to head clearance for detonation resistance. A flat top piston with a .036 head gasket leaves me a deck requirement of .014 but then I am stuck with the stock 52cc heads from the truck and that means I am back to time and money to clean them up. They would need new guides, seals, seat work, valve lapping, surface decking...
I have 2 sets of heads ready, the 38cc TF heads on the aluminum WAP engine and 40cc PI heads that are fully ported with larger valves sitting on the iron block 13:4 CR engine. Both of these heads are going to need at least a -12cc dished piston to get down to 13:1 CR and the negative dish defeats the gains from the close PtoH design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online