5.0 vs 4.6

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
:aresehole:

i'd rather the kind with a little sulfur in it if you know what i mean 8)

94twinscrew

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
I think ima get it just cuz everyone knocks n2o says "OMG your going to blow your motor up" etc (and bang for the buck lol). And then if anyone ever says bottles are for babies then ill just have to ask them how it feels to get your ass handed to ya by a baby ;D

I love n20,and when it's sized properly for your application,it's completely safe...do it! >:D

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
o im doing it. I think a nice 100-125 shot would do well. Id like to get a plate kit to make it a cleaner install but those sobs are spendy!

Hicks

Reaction score
I always heard the pushrod made the engine struggle more??? The modular design was more easier on the engine??

FIVELITERS

Reaction score
Hicks said:
I always heard the pushrod made the engine struggle more??? The modular design was more easier on the engine??

I've never heard this.

Hicks

Reaction score
yea... something about the cam i dont know... Dont ask me man lol

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
lol, in block cams have to move more parts than OHC meaning more parasitic loss. thats all.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Pushrod motors are OHV (over head valve) and modulars are OHC (over head cams). The cam in the OHV design is in the block. The roller lifter rides on the camshaft and the pushrod is on top of the lifter. The lifter then moves the pushrod which then moves the rocker arm which then controls the opening and closing the valves in the head. Now on modulars the cam is in the head. The rocker arm rides directly on the cam controlling the opening and closing of the valve. This eliminates the lifters and pushrods. They will rev better of course and it also strengthens the block because it gets rid of the voids where the pushrod usually is. That is the basics pretty much

Hicks

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
Pushrod motors are OHV (over head valve) and modulars are OHC (over head cams). The cam in the OHV design is in the block. The roller lifter rides on the camshaft and the pushrod is on top of the lifter. The lifter then moves the pushrod which then moves the rocker arm which then controls the opening and closing the valves in the head. Now on modulars the cam is in the head. The rocker arm rides directly on the cam controlling the opening and closing of the valve. This eliminates the lifters and pushrods. They will rev better of course and it also strengthens the block because it gets rid of the voids where the pushrod usually is. That is the basics pretty much

So a modular has 2 cams?? If i understand correctly?

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
Hicks said:
MeanGrn Gt said:

So a modular has 2 cams?? If i understand correctly?

some have 4

Hicks

Reaction score
how in the world?
Are they like small or something??
Complicated engines... meh!!

5.0 all the way baby

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
Hicks said:
how in the world?
Are they like small or something??
Complicated engines... meh!!

5.0 all the way baby
1000Schematic3.JPG

2051110.002.Mini3L.jpg

the second pic is a ford v6, but you get the idea.

you seriously didn't know this?

Adam

Reaction score
If you like hair bands and have a mullet, get a 5 liter. A 281 cubic inch 4.6 has and always will outperform a 302 cubic inch 5.0. The 2Vs do it and the 4V's aren't even comparable. Modulars have been around for 16 years. Giving up 21 cubic inches, making more power AND getting better mileage with OEM parts, I don't see a comparison I guess.

Hicks

Reaction score
Adam said:
If you like hair bands and have a mullet, get a 5 liter. A 281 cubic inch 4.6 has and always will outperform a 302 cubic inch 5.0. The 2Vs do it and the 4V's aren't even comparable. Modulars have been around for 16 years. Giving up 21 cubic inches, making more power AND getting better mileage with OEM parts, I don't see a comparison I guess.

lol... ok then

Adam

Reaction score
Sorry, but its the truth, you'll get a bunch of 5.0 lovers on here telling you differently. I have had 3 5.0 Stang GTs , I modded them and raced them and I thought they were the $hit, until I got a Modular. These guys who have never owned a Modular and speak poorly of them, shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless you have owned them both. If you have then speak up..otherwise it is just internet BS.

Hicks

Reaction score
Well i believe the 4.6 is a better engine. stock for stock. But the 5.0 can go alot faster alot cheaper. I'll say that in it's defence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online