5.0 vs 4.6

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Active Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
463
Reaction score
0
Hicks said:
Well i believe the 4.6 is a better engine. stock for stock. But the 5.0 can go a lot faster a lot cheaper. I'll say that in it's defence

cheaper yes, but every day that goes by more and more parts are coming around for mods. and they are starting to become cheaper and cheaper to mod.
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Adam said:
Sorry, but its the truth, you'll get a bunch of 5.0 lovers on here telling you differently. I have had 3 5.0 Stang GTs , I modded them and raced them and I thought they were the $hit, until I got a Modular. These guys who have never owned a Modular and speak poorly of them, shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless you have owned them both. If you have then speak up..otherwise it is just internet BS.
We both know that this is more directed towards the 2v's and not the 4v,so I'll comment once more.


Well I've had both,and worked on too many of each to count,and it always comes down to one basic rule..... 4.6 rods are worthless. Stock for stock,the 4.6 makes more power(with enemic torque),but when it comes down to modding them, the rotating assembly just doesn't fair as well as the old mullet lovers 5.0's( :eek:utofcloset:) How many stock internal 2v's do you know of that can safely put down over 500whp without throwing a rod? Typically,anything over 420-440whp is the "infamous" breaking point for the 2v. Where as the antiquated stock bottom 5.0 can tolerate those numbers with ease,and for the most part,go up to 550whp without much to worry about. This has been proven for the past 10 years in mags,at the track,and on forums. I still think that each platform has it's own downfalls,and both are far from being as perfect as the 4v's.....but in the end,you can get more out of a stock bottom blown HCI 5.0,then you can with the equally modded stock bottom 4.6. This is not bashing either,it's just merely stating the facts....replace the rods,and it's a whole new debate. ;D
 

trav_19

Legend
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
5,615
Reaction score
0
stock for stock a 5.0 take the win ..but i guess im a 80's mullet guy....

hicks if you have never seen a 2v or 4v i think you need to look some pics up of engine bays and look at how big the heads are compare the size of a 5.0 valve cover to a mod motor it looks like a monster big block sitting in there lol
 

Teal_Beast

New Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
When i say the 5.0 is a POS i do so because the BLOCK becomes the weak link after ~ 500-550whp. Most people will never get that high . . but if you want to make 600-700whp, i'd rather be using a 3.8lv6 then a stock 5.0 block, sure you can get a man-o-war block or something bu5 then your putting ~$2,000 into just your BLOCK.

that being said the stock internals of a 5.0 do go farther then the 4.6, but if both are forged, the 5.0 will bite the dust first.
 

95Grandtouring5.0

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
0
Teal_Beast said:
5.0's tend to suck down the gas a bit more then the mod motors, But the bottom line IMO is that a 5.0's block cracks at just over 500whp, making it a P.O.S

Oh yeah, and show me a 2valve 4.6 that can even make 500whp without boost? You sir are an idiot.

Stock for stock its a good race, however i believe a 5.0 will win because those 4.6's peaked their torque at high rpm.
 

trav_19

Legend
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
5,615
Reaction score
0
i think the last guy hit the nail on the head 2v lack everything down low and its not till the higher rpms that all of its power is made to me it feels like it runs out of power shortly after making it it feels like it just kicks in too late
 

Adam

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
94twinscrew said:
Adam said:
Sorry, but its the truth, you'll get a bunch of 5.0 lovers on here telling you differently. I have had 3 5.0 Stang GTs , I modded them and raced them and I thought they were the $hit, until I got a Modular. These guys who have never owned a Modular and speak poorly of them, shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless you have owned them both. If you have then speak up..otherwise it is just internet BS.
We both know that this is more directed towards the 2v's and not the 4v,so I'll comment once more.


Well I've had both,and worked on too many of each to count,and it always comes down to one basic rule..... 4.6 rods are worthless. Stock for stock,the 4.6 makes more power(with enemic torque),but when it comes down to modding them, the rotating assembly just doesn't fair as well as the old mullet lovers 5.0's( :eek:utofcloset:) How many stock internal 2v's do you know of that can safely put down over 500whp without throwing a rod? Typically,anything over 420-440whp is the "infamous" breaking point for the 2v. Where as the antiquated stock bottom 5.0 can tolerate those numbers with ease,and for the most part,go up to 550whp without much to worry about. This has been proven for the past 10 years in mags,at the track,and on forums. I still think that each platform has it's own downfalls,and both are far from being as perfect as the 4v's.....but in the end,you can get more out of a stock bottom blown HCI 5.0,then you can with the equally modded stock bottom 4.6. This is not bashing either,it's just merely stating the facts....replace the rods,and it's a whole new debate. ;D

I will have to agree with you believe it or not. I am speaking mostly of NA applications. Most people can't afford a supercharger or other UNnatural aspiration. Yes the 2V with better rods/pistons, then its a whole new debate. I was just messin with you guys, I love hairbands and haven't had a mullet in about 10 years. Iwould say stock bottom end with a blower is going to depend on the owner. Most blown 2V's see about 400rwhp with no mods but a blower. With race fuel and a 1.7KB a 100% stock 2V can easily see 500rwhp, how long it will live, well thats another story. :eek:

Adam
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
[/quote]

I will have to agree with you believe it or not. I am speaking mostly of NA applications. Most people can't afford a supercharger or other UNnatural aspiration. Yes the 2V with better rods/pistons, then its a whole new debate. I was just messin with you guys, I love hairbands and haven't had a mullet in about 10 years. Iwould say stock bottom end with a blower is going to depend on the owner. Most blown 2V's see about 400rwhp with no mods but a blower. With race fuel and a 1.7KB a 100% stock 2V can easily see 500rwhp, how long it will live, well thats another story. :eek:

Adam
[/quote]

10 years....Hmmm, sounds like we need some pics of that.lol But remember,chevy owners are the only ones that can rock the mullet :eek:utofcloset: :rollinglaugh:
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
Teal_Beast said:
When i say the 5.0 is a POS i do so because the BLOCK becomes the weak link after ~ 500-550whp. Most people will never get that high . . but if you want to make 600-700whp, i'd rather be using a 3.8lv6 then a stock 5.0 block, sure you can get a man-o-war block or something bu5 then your putting ~$2,000 into just your BLOCK.

that being said the stock internals of a 5.0 do go farther then the 4.6, but if both are forged, the 5.0 will bite the dust first.

The thing is,any block that is pre 4v, typically will give up the ghost after 600whp....5.0's and 2v 4.6's. If I want to make 600-700whp,I'd do a 4v swap.(least amount of effort) ...and I'm assuming that you weren't serious about the 3.8 tolerating that hp level :dunno:

Atleast we all can be proud and agree on one basic thing....our engines can be modded to achieve power levels that exceed more than double it's original output,without doing too much internal revamping. We can all knock which one is better till we're blue in the face,but no matter how you slice it,...for about 5-6k bucks in mods on either motor,you can honestly tell people that you make enough power to split a block,and destroy most cars on the street >:D

.....even at both engines average breaking points of 500-550whp,which translates into over 575-635 flywheel hp.....that's more hp than most top end exotics come with,and we didn't have to spend over $150k to get it :pimp2: GOD I LOVE STANGS :bunny3:
 

Hicks

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
3,131
Reaction score
1
94twinscrew said:
Teal_Beast said:
When i say the 5.0 is a POS i do so because the BLOCK becomes the weak link after ~ 500-550whp. Most people will never get that high . . but if you want to make 600-700whp, i'd rather be using a 3.8lv6 then a stock 5.0 block, sure you can get a man-o-war block or something bu5 then your putting ~$2,000 into just your BLOCK.

that being said the stock internals of a 5.0 do go farther then the 4.6, but if both are forged, the 5.0 will bite the dust first.

The thing is,any block that is pre 4v, typically will give up the ghost after 600whp....5.0's and 2v 4.6's. If I want to make 600-700whp,I'd do a 4v swap.(least amount of effort) ...and I'm assuming that you weren't serious about the 3.8 tolerating that hp level :dunno:

Atleast we all can be proud and agree on one basic thing....our engines can be modded to achieve power levels that exceed more than double it's original output,without doing too much internal revamping. We can all knock which one is better till we're blue in the face,but no matter how you slice it,...for about 5-6k bucks in mods on either motor,you can honestly tell people that you make enough power to split a block,and destroy most cars on the street >:D

.....even at both engines average breaking points of 500-550whp,which translates into over 575-635 flywheel hp.....that's more hp than most top end exotics come with,and we didn't have to spend over $150k to get it :pimp2: GOD I LOVE STANGS :bunny3:

Speak it brotha!! :angel:
 

quickstang_1994

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
2,208
Reaction score
12
Location
Cross Anchor, SC
Teal_Beast said:
When i say the 5.0 is a POS i do so because the BLOCK becomes the weak link after ~ 500-550whp. Most people will never get that high . . but if you want to make 600-700whp, i'd rather be using a 3.8lv6 then a stock 5.0 block, sure you can get a man-o-war block or something bu5 then your putting ~$2,000 into just your BLOCK.

that being said the stock internals of a 5.0 do go farther then the 4.6, but if both are forged, the 5.0 will bite the dust first.

It cost about the same for a built 4.6l and a 5.0l(w/ a dart block) short block
 

Outlaw97GT

Active Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
492
Reaction score
0
I have owned both and are pleased with either, but Im a Ford guy and respect any/all Ford motors.
But I will say that a 5.0 can be made to sound alot meaner than a 4.6. And gears are a must do mod on a 4.6.

Im happy with my 4.6 and plan on making it into a nice street machine in the future.
 

Stopsign32v

Active Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
526
Reaction score
0
Adam said:
Sorry, but its the truth, you'll get a bunch of 5.0 lovers on here telling you differently. I have had 3 5.0 Stang GTs , I modded them and raced them and I thought they were the $hit, until I got a Modular. These guys who have never owned a Modular and speak poorly of them, shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless you have owned them both. If you have then speak up..otherwise it is just internet BS.

Well lets see...my stock piston 5.0 made 328rwhp and 337rwtq

My stock piston modular (mind you 4v) made 297rwhp 284rwtq

Both unboosted. Now you do the math, which would you rather own? ;)
 

95Boss

Active Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
623
Reaction score
0
Waaay too many variables and personal preferences to make a definitive judgement. I love the heck out of my 5 liter. The fact that my '95 is the last year of the 302 makes it kind of special.
 

Downshift

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
1,957
Reaction score
1
Adam said:
94twinscrew said:
Adam said:
Sorry, but its the truth, you'll get a bunch of 5.0 lovers on here telling you differently. I have had 3 5.0 Stang GTs , I modded them and raced them and I thought they were the $hit, until I got a Modular. These guys who have never owned a Modular and speak poorly of them, shouldn't really be taken too seriously unless you have owned them both. If you have then speak up..otherwise it is just internet BS.
We both know that this is more directed towards the 2v's and not the 4v,so I'll comment once more.


Well I've had both,and worked on too many of each to count,and it always comes down to one basic rule..... 4.6 rods are worthless. Stock for stock,the 4.6 makes more power(with enemic torque),but when it comes down to modding them, the rotating assembly just doesn't fair as well as the old mullet lovers 5.0's( :eek:utofcloset:) How many stock internal 2v's do you know of that can safely put down over 500whp without throwing a rod? Typically,anything over 420-440whp is the "infamous" breaking point for the 2v. Where as the antiquated stock bottom 5.0 can tolerate those numbers with ease,and for the most part,go up to 550whp without much to worry about. This has been proven for the past 10 years in mags,at the track,and on forums. I still think that each platform has it's own downfalls,and both are far from being as perfect as the 4v's.....but in the end,you can get more out of a stock bottom blown HCI 5.0,then you can with the equally modded stock bottom 4.6. This is not bashing either,it's just merely stating the facts....replace the rods,and it's a whole new debate. ;D

I will have to agree with you believe it or not. I am speaking mostly of NA applications. Most people can't afford a supercharger or other UNnatural aspiration. Yes the 2V with better rods/pistons, then its a whole new debate. I was just messin with you guys, I love hairbands and haven't had a mullet in about 10 years. Iwould say stock bottom end with a blower is going to depend on the owner. Most blown 2V's see about 400rwhp with no mods but a blower. With race fuel and a 1.7KB a 100% stock 2V can easily see 500rwhp, how long it will live, well thats another story. :eek:

Adam

400hp with no mods but a blower? And what like 20psi? There was some guy here not more than two weeks ago who had full exhaust and a blower making 315 to the wheels. Thats about 85 short of 400.... I like mustangs, 4.6 or 5.0 but 400hp on a 2v you must not be talking about a non pi...
 

Adam

Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Sorry, when I talk 2V's I am meaning PI motors. A stock 2v with a KB at about 9psi intercooled will be right around 400rwhp, give or take a few.

And to Stopsign your "stock piston" comparison
the 4V numbers are from a nearly stock motor
the 5.0 numbers are from an extensively modded motor with stock pistons

The car that I did longtubes on this weekend makes 28xrwhp and 309rwtq....before the longubes. It is a 99 2V 5-speed with cams/plenum/TB/pullys/KN....thats it.
 

Stopsign32v

Active Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
526
Reaction score
0
Adam said:
The car that I did longtubes on this weekend makes 28xrwhp and 309rwtq....before the longubes. It is a 99 2V 5-speed with cams/plenum/TB/pullys/KN....thats it.

Wow...My 5.0 has shorty headers. When you get anywhere close to what mine makes now let me know. :ass3: Hurry up before I get ready to drop the 408 in.
 

performance red

New Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
94twinscrew said:
Teal_Beast said:
When i say the 5.0 is a POS i do so because the BLOCK becomes the weak link after ~ 500-550whp. Most people will never get that high . . but if you want to make 600-700whp, i'd rather be using a 3.8lv6 then a stock 5.0 block, sure you can get a man-o-war block or something bu5 then your putting ~$2,000 into just your BLOCK.

that being said the stock internals of a 5.0 do go farther then the 4.6, but if both are forged, the 5.0 will bite the dust first.

The thing is,any block that is pre 4v, typically will give up the ghost after 600whp....5.0's and 2v 4.6's. If I want to make 600-700whp,I'd do a 4v swap.(least amount of effort) ...and I'm assuming that you weren't serious about the 3.8 tolerating that hp level :dunno:

Atleast we all can be proud and agree on one basic thing....our engines can be modded to achieve power levels that exceed more than double it's original output,without doing too much internal revamping. We can all knock which one is better till we're blue in the face,but no matter how you slice it,...for about 5-6k bucks in mods on either motor,you can honestly tell people that you make enough power to split a block,and destroy most cars on the street >:D

.....even at both engines average breaking points of 500-550whp,which translates into over 575-635 flywheel hp.....that's more hp than most top end exotics come with,and we didn't have to spend over $150k to get it :pimp2: GOD I LOVE STANGS :bunny3:

Are you kidding about the 2v blocks giving up at 600whp? please enlighten me with the secret knowledge you have that the 4v cast iron blocks are any different then 2v cast iron blocks. Because I know for a fact they are no different. Its true that some of the years the 4v has had an aluminum block either Teksid or WAP, but even the the mighty 03-04 cobras had the exact same cast iron block that the 2v's had. I know plenty of 03-04 cobra's well over the 800whp that are using the stock cast iron block and have never and will never experience a block failure. Go over to MPH and see how many forged 2v's with the stock blocks are above 600whp sometimes 200+ over that, for that matter, Tims personal race car makes a little over 800 on the cast iron block. For that matter please show me one instance of a 2v or 4v cast iron block failure, I doubt you will find any. However I could find hundreds if not thousands of cases of 5.0L block failure. One of the main reasons built 2v and 4v switch to the aluminum blocks is the weight savings offered. Lets face it the rods are terrible in the 2v's but the blocks are far far superior to anything the 5.0 ever had. As far as engines go the 5.0 is outdated at this point, and while yes it was cheap to mod, it lacks the reliability the modulars have proven. There are crown vic taxis all over NYC with 400k+ miles on them, which are still running strong.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
77,727
Messages
1,508,865
Members
15,149
Latest member
gregssn96

Members online

Top