95 GT - Das Llama!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
This article here you might find interesting, oddly though i wasnt able to find anything saying the ideal operating temp for mobile one, besides the normal "tested" at 210 degrees. Every oil is tested at that temp so thats not useful.
http://thedirtforum.com/oils.htm
Mobile 1 does say on their site that their oil is tested at 1600 degrees. Sorry but thats already above oils flash point sooo...bunch of malarky. We use mobile oils here at the steel mill i work at, and most of them see equiptment wear at about 280 degrees. The only other oil we use with a higher temp is Molena 460, good till 450-460. At those temps we see high wear.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So awesome!
I've been itching to build a track oriented car, so many good ideas in this thread.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I haven't really done much with the car lately. It's been sitting outside, getting rained on. I was planning on driving it to work this week, but won't do it yet in the rain, I don't trust the car enough. Also, I'm working on another project for the STI that I will post up here in a couple days.

Where I left the car is with some things to work on. I've got a MIL that I need to scan for and correct, I need to replace the driver side wideband O2, and I need to figure out this "stalling while hot" issue. I'm thinking it's either fuel pressure (fuel pressure gauge will get ordered in the next week or so) or the PIP in the dizzy (which I will also order in the next week or so).

The next big thing is to drive the car up to my parents to get our mechanic to fix to the A/C (car must have A/C) and get a body work friend to give us a quote on the paint.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are you scared of, it's just a freaking hurricane outside. Go drive. Wimp

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright - update time. So the car has been temperamental. Turns out - at least part of it - was the battery. Long story short, the Odyssey PC680 is NOT ENOUGH. It's just too small. Like it just barely works. Car sat for a bit off the battery tender, and it stalled when I was pulling it into the office. Absolutely would not start again. Eff. Got out my portable jumpers, tried to jump the car, and it literally pooped the bed. The electronics went nuts. Okay.... Tried it again with my "official" battery charger. No go.

Put the car on the tender overnight, and while the battery acted like it was good (showed full voltage), the second I tried to start it, it went dead. Super dead. Didn't know if it was the battery, or something in my wiring. Temporarily put the original battery behind the passenger seat, hooked it up, cranked the car....and it started right up. So okay. Car is fine. Battery is not. I have determined that the PC680 is just too small. Too too small. So I'm looking at the next largest battery.

So maybe if you have a dedicated racecar, and disconnect the battery when it sits, then maaaaaybe the PC680 will work for you. But maybe not. Learning new things, every day...

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Live and learn...do you think that was your stall while hott deal?

Do you mean do I think the battery was the reason the car was stalling? Or do you mean did the car stall while it was hot? I will answer both, just to be safe ;) No, I don't think the battery is the cause of the stalling. I think it's something else. Something on it's way out. Thinking the dizzy. Basically, everything on the engine right now (dizzy, coil, injectors, etc.) were all there when I bought the car. I have replaced nothing there, apart from spark plugs and wires, and the thermostat. Not sure why the car stalled this time - it was cold when I started it up. And I still need to look at the MIL. Haven't bothered with it yet because I need to replace the battery and getting running again first.

Which brings me to a minor update. I ordered a new battery and battery hold down. I went one size larger, with the Odyssey PC925. A quick comparison between the two batteries:

PC680PC925
CCA:170330
PHCA:520900
HCA:350610
MCA:280480

So the replacement battery is roughly twice the size, power-wise, of the PC680, while still maintaining a decently small footprint and reduced weight. I will need to make a new positive cable so that it reaches the post on the battery, but that's no big deal. We'll see how this one turns out...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I find it so strange that you're having issues with PC680. I have one in my car, and literally had 0 issues with it since I had it, and I killed it twice as well, once when I thought it could just sit there for weeks at the time without being started, and another time when alternator failed). I keep it on a battery tender while it's not being used, and I also have a higher compression engine, which does require more CCA.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I find it so strange that you're having issues with PC680. I have one in my car, and literally had 0 issues with it since I had it, and I killed it twice as well, once when I thought it could just sit there for weeks at the time without being started, and another time when alternator failed). I keep it on a battery tender while it's not being used, and I also have a higher compression engine, which does require more CCA.

Do you have issues repeatedly starting the car? Like drive it for 10 min, turn it off, and try to start it again - does the starter drag? Also, is this on a stripped out car? AC? Radio? Dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with my wiring.

Minor update: I ordered a new fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge. So pretty much waiting for things to arrive.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Do you have issues repeatedly starting the car? Like drive it for 10 min, turn it off, and try to start it again - does the starter drag? Also, is this on a stripped out car? AC? Radio? Dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with my wiring.

I had none of the issues you've described, and I ran the car with all the electric stuff off the PC680 as well, including the AC. The car fires right up every single time, maybe the first engine revolution is a bit slower than the rest, but as soon as the alternator starts rotating, you should be good. The only time I've ever had an issue with this battery was when alternator went bad on me. If you're still running an old alternator, you might wanna change it. They are dirt cheap through Autozone and come with lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had none of the issues you've described, and I ran the car with all the electric stuff off the PC680 as well, including the AC. The car fires right up every single time, maybe the first engine revolution is a bit slower than the rest, but as soon as the alternator starts rotating, you should be good. The only time I've ever had an issue with this battery was when alternator went bad on me. If you're still running an old alternator, you might wanna change it. They are dirt cheap through Autozone and come with lifetime warranty.

Hmm. Yah, I'm pretty sure the alternator is old - I've never changed it since picking the car up. Who knows how long it was there before. Where do you have the battery located? Did you relocate it? What gauge battery wire did you use? I'm also looking into getting an Odyssey specific charger - my current charger, I don't think, can handle the AGM battery.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Hmm. Yah, I'm pretty sure the alternator is old - I've never changed it since picking the car up. Who knows how long it was there before. Where do you have the battery located? Did you relocate it? What gauge battery wire did you use? I'm also looking into getting an Odyssey specific charger - my current charger, I don't think, can handle the AGM battery.

I had a relocation kit while I had the stock battery in there. Once I got the PC680, I ditched it. It made no sense to have it anymore, just added weight with no benefit. I remounted the battery in stock location, where it's nice and secure. My alternator has been going bad for years. I've always used to find battery spilling acid, and used think that it was from the g-forces. Once I replaced the alternator, I didn't see another battery spillage again.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a relocation kit while I had the stock battery in there. Once I got the PC680, I ditched it. It made no sense to have it anymore, just added weight with no benefit. I remounted the battery in stock location, where it's nice and secure. My alternator has been going bad for years. I've always used to find battery spilling acid, and used think that it was from the g-forces. Once I replaced the alternator, I didn't see another battery spillage again.

Interesting, good to know. Thanks for the info. I don't know why the PC680 wasn't working. I'm holding on to the battery, and I will try to bring it back from the dead with an appropriate charger. Meanwhile, I should be okay with the larger PC925 until I figure it out. I have a couple ideas on what I could change in the battery cabling to make it a little better.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Super minor update: received the new fuel pressure gauge and Aeromotive FPR...

IMG_6146.jpg

The Auto Meter sensor screws in to a port provided on the FPR:

IMG_6147.jpg

I currently have a Kirban adjustable FPR, and it's been fine (other than the adjustment screw rusting). However, it doesn't offer a separate port (that I know of) to make installing a sensor easier. So, time for the Aeromotive. I've always really liked Aeromotive products, never had a chance/opportunity to use their stuff. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bumping this for you. What's new?

Thanks - not much right now. Been doing work on the other cars for bit. Once I get the 4Runner done and out of the garage, back to the Mustang. I have a new battery - but I also think I found out why the other pooped the bed on me. Totes my fault, if I'm right.

I also need to wrap up the aluminum door panel on the driver side. And of course about a zillion other things. But the battery and the door panel are keeping me from driving it regularly right now.

So sorry for the crickets! Have a look at the 4Runner thread to see where I'm at if interested. I should actually be wrapping it up tonight after work and driving it tomorrow, if all goes well ;)

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, it's been quite the while. Working on a personal project that's taking all of my time. The Llama, well, she has sat. Neglected. Not for too much longer, though. Figured it's about time I get back on it. I totally forgot where I left off, though it was pretty close to being drivable. Sorry for being away for so long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell