95 GT - Das Llama!

RichV

Reaction score
These cars are bottom feeders, get at least the stock air deflector in there. It will push air up to the radiator. I learned that racing at Hallett a couple of years ago.

220 is pretty normal since the fans turn on/off at about that.

RichV

Reaction score
I have a ZAP ebay cheepie on my 94. Honestly, I was impressed with the construction and it seems to be holding up to the abuse very well. IIRC it's a 3-core, it has a lot of mass and holds a lot of fluid. Best part was the cost, $140 shipped. Fit very well, does make contact with the ABS pump/block but you can tweak it out of the way.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let me know how the larger SVE radiator works. Mine has run a bit on the warm side ever since I put the aluminum heads on it if it's more than 80 outside.

Will do. It's going to be either the SVE or the AFCO from AM. Not sure yet, but the price on the SVE looks much better...

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a ZAP ebay cheepie on my 94. Honestly, I was impressed with the construction and it seems to be holding up to the abuse very well. IIRC it's a 3-core, it has a lot of mass and holds a lot of fluid. Best part was the cost, $140 shipped. Fit very well, does make contact with the ABS pump/block but you can tweak it out of the way.

Reaaaaallyy...I certainly like that price. All aluminum construction I assume? Heading over to eBay now to check it out... what temps does it normally run at on the track?

So the front end doesn't feel lighter to you at speed? Maybe this really isn't an issue. Are you running any kind of chin spoiler or under-tray or anything?

RichV

Reaction score
No chin spoiler, haven't noticed any adverse effects.

The ZAP is all aluminum, welds look decent, fit and finish was OK. On track it occasionally hits 230s, last weekend at PPIR I ran without a t'stat and it was rock solid at 180. It was a cooler day, mid 60s.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AFCO is a trusted name, too. I'd look towards price as a determining factor.

I'm thinking I'll give the ZAP a try. If it doesn't work (or only works for a while), it's only like $120. Price-wise, it would be ZAP, SVE, AFCO. If they are all close to equivalent, I'm going to try the ZAP first.

RichV

Reaction score
I was a little nervous at first, but I'm not regretting it. I do have it out right now, I can snap a few pics if you want to see anything specific.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was a little nervous at first, but I'm not regretting it. I do have it out right now, I can snap a few pics if you want to see anything specific.

I assume it came with the support tabs for the fan? The picture on eBay just shows the "front" side of it. I asked the seller a question, we'll see if he/she replies. Since it's made for this year/model car, I assume it accepts the stock fan? And is your core 2.5" thick? The eBay add says it's a dual-row, but doesn't say anything about cores. 2.5" thick is pretty beefy though.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I managed to dig up a YouTube video that another driver filmed at a Sebring session. He's in a BMW 335i (twin-turbo straight 6). I enter stage right at about 10 seconds in... (Keep in mind I only have about 185 HP to the wheels...)

[video=youtube;mOeuYdrD058]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeuYdrD058[/video]

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another one, previous day from my post above. Same dude filming in his car, BMW 335i twin-turbo straight 6. A lot more traffic in this one, and we ended getting stuck behind some dude in an M6 out for a Sunday drive (I guess if I spent that much on a car, I probably would be going slow on the track too).

At around 7:18 you can hear BMW driver's instructor say something like "Just be careful here...cause this Mustang is kind of a mess." Lol, no idea why he said that, I don't recall doing anything that would have cautioned other drivers, and my instructor never said anything to me about being sloppy or anything. Sure I missed some apexes, but that's kind of the whole point about being out there learning. I also take a very different line into turn 17 than pretty much every other person that was in HPDE 1. Maybe that was it? :shrug:

Around 9:10, when I'm passing the M6, you can see my instructor sticking his arm out the window at the M6 - he was pretty pissed. The point-by done by the M6 was pretty limp, we weren't sure at first if it was even a point-by. He was like "THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT GAAAHHHHH." Good instructor, I really liked him :)

[video=youtube;LazdItxJiWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazdItxJiWs[/video]

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a ZAP radiator from eBay for cheap. We'll see how that guy works out. Can't possibly be worse than what I currently have. I've got a bunch of crap that I'm picking up from LMR as well, replacement window motors, radiator air dam thingie, and some other nick-knacks. I'm getting a replacement steering wheel for when I re-do the interior. I've got a bajillion parts (no really, I counted) to throw at the car and no time to do it yet. Anyone want to come help me re-do my sprinkler system so I can spend some time on the car? ....Anyone? No?

Also, I was reading through previous posts, forgot to mention that I also have a MM solid steering shaft in the car. I really like the way it steers right now, feels pretty precise.

RichV

Reaction score
Do you have the solid or urethane rack bushings? I ran delrin on my Fox and it made a huge difference in turn-in. I'd like to get the solid shaft as well, but those suckers are pricey!

Gotta love being a homow. (home-owner) :)

Your driving is so precise ... and all wheels on the track ... :D

[video=youtube;MtPY66PXTT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPY66PXTT0[/video]

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the solid or urethane rack bushings? I ran delrin on my Fox and it made a huge difference in turn-in. I'd like to get the solid shaft as well, but those suckers are pricey!

Gotta love being a homow. (home-owner) :)

Your driving is so precise ... and all wheels on the track ... :D

Believe it or not I actually have the stock bushings in the rack - I never changed them. I just made a note to do that :). I love the solid steering shaft. Before, I could turn the wheel a good amount before the tires would react. It feels light years better now, and probably will a bit more when I swap the rack bushings.

Actually I do like being a home owner, but talk about a money drain. We bought a short sell, so we had some work to do - and still do. But now I'm dying to get back out on the track.

Heh, thanks but I had it easier than you. No competition so I could pick my line, plus my car is slower than yours so I have plenty of time to choose where I want to go. You have other cars and you have to defend your position so the ideal line goes right out the window - you had it harder than me. Nice vid, I could watch those all day. And your car sounds good :). What tires are you running?

RichV

Reaction score
CMC is spec tire class, we run the TOYO RA1, 275/40/17. They are great tires, last a long time, and grip very well.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CMC is spec tire class, we run the TOYO RA1, 275/40/17. They are great tires, last a long time, and grip very well.

Hmm...I don't think I can drive these on the street, can I? The highway will eat these pretty fast?

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, I picked up a set of aluminum rack bushings for a stock K member from MM. I'll throw those on when I'm doing the brakes and coilovers.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, update today. I had a chance to finally plasti-dip the wheels. Overall, I think it came out pretty good. Makes me feel confident about doing the whole car next. There are a couple "gotchas" to look out for, and if you are interested in doing this, I highly recommend a couple tips. I'll list them after the pictures. Now, the pictures!!

The wheels after the dip:

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1043.jpg

The car, as it now sits:

DSCF1046.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg

Alright, so I did run into a few snags. Here's my suggestions if you plan on dipping your wheels:

• Wash your wheels the day/night before, not the day of. On the day of painting, you run the risk of having water somewhere.
  • When you wash, use a pressure washer. I used a hose (even though I have a pressure washer). It worked okay. Pressure washer would have been better.
  • Use flash cards to mask off the tire. Vids on youtube show people just spraying on the tire, and then peeling it off. This is bull crap. The only way that really works is if you lay on heavy with the overspray on the tire. In my case, I didn't get a lot of overspray on the tire. Thus the plasti-dip is still on the tires, because it was too much of a pain to remove. This worked for me because I did black. If you are doing a color, I highly recommend flash cards to mask off the tire.
  • Use compressed air (and lots of it) on the wheels before you dip, especially around the valve stems. I still had a little bit of water, and it's peeling a bit there.
  • Use the prep that you can buy from DipYourCar. You can maybe use simple green, or something like that. But the wheels felt tacky after I used the prep stuff, so I'm thinking there's something in there to help the dip adhere to the wheel.
  • Either use a nozzle gun thing or take breaks between wheels. My finger/hand was hurting after spraying all four wheels all the way through.

That's all I got right now. If I think of more, I'll update this list.

Edit: I went to a car meet tonight and talked with a dude that also plasti-dipped his wheels earlier. Apparently he left them on the car, didn't mask a thing, and just sprayed them. I have no idea how much prep he did - but after hearing what he did (I get the feeling this wasn't his first time), and then looking at my list of what should be done...yeah. Maybe I'm being a perfectionist? I don't know. What I do know, is that I'll follow my list next time, even though maybe it's overkill.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, get off the internet, and go to the meet so you can meet your favorite moderator lmao!

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol I was there before you! It was a pleasure meeting you, I had fun tonight - no idea there were so many nice Mustangs around here. I feel very confident in saying that mine was pretty much the most beater there. Thanks for the invite, I look forward to going again. Though I'm going to have to do some work on the car so I can feel like it actually belongs there :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnorBlue4Mustang

Members online