96 cobra

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I removed my pilot bearing with wet paper and a 1/2 drive extension. You stuff the wet paper in the hole and tap it in with the extension and a hammer. I have done it lots of times and it always works...

As far as specialty tools, not really. You will need some long extensions and a swivel to get the upper bell housing bolts and a trans jack is a must if doing it by yourself.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I removed my pilot bearing with wet paper and a 1/2 drive extension. You stuff the wet paper in the hole and tap it in with the extension and a hammer. I have done it lots of times and it always works...

As far as specialty tools, not really. You will need some long extensions and a swivel to get the upper bell housing bolts and a trans jack is a must if doing it by yourself.
Ok, so I guess the paper is to fill in the extra space inside of the pilot bearing? It's not in there very tight

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Bread works too. Not ideal, but it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, so I guess I'm making some of these simple tasks seem more difficult than they really are lol... what about replacing the bearing retainer? I can't find any vids for these cobras but I'm thinking I might replace that if it's not too difficult. Maybe that's where I'm feeling the wobble I've been getting

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Not sure about the bearing retainer. You will know after the trans comes out. The input shaft should not have much play. Just a guess but maybe you had a bad pilot bushing.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I got my sportlines on today along with some chrome tailpipes I picked up, I was going to install my x-pipe also but I think I needed an 18mm 6 point socket for the header bolts, I only had a 12 point socket and it wouldn't grab when I was trying to break the bolt loose.
93f424ad4e8591ec3d2aeeb59dc93e9b.jpg

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
looks good. spray those bolts good with pb blaster prior to trying to take them off.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Yeah, i sprayed them pretty good twice... the socket wouldn't grab when I was putting some torque into it, I'll get a 6 point socket for next weekend. I want to get that xpipe fitted before I do the clutch to minimize muscle aches lol

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
just went thru that yesterday on my son's Mustang v6 car. took off the single and put a mac dual on it. one of the nuts started to round off, even after mutliple blasts with the pb. had to find a deep 6 point to get it off, finally did, but the nut was finished. had to get something from the hardware store since none of the many spare nuts I had would fit the thread. all day deal to get that sucker on, but finally got it. I should have charged up my impact and that mighta got it.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I need an impact, I only have my impact driver for work. Doesn't have enough torque to get some of these stubborn bolts off

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I go tone at harbor freight. it is all right as long as it is fully charged. when not, it doesn't always have enough grunt. when I did the front hubs on mine, prior to the harbor freight purchase, I borrowed my friend's snap on impact. that thing has some serious torque to it. like 550 I think. it zipped those things off and one like it was working on a Honda!!! lol!!! you know...not much torque!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Looks good with the new springs. 6 point 18mm is a must for the exhaust on these cars.

I have an electric I got years ago at harbor freight for $39.00.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I saw a write-up on using spark plug nonfoulers as mil eliminators, have any of u used them? If I use them I don't need a tune? I just realized this and I don't have a tuner. I used the torque pro app to clear my CEL light

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I should also mention I didn't put the off road xpipe on yet (next week), I cleared a CEL light from P1151 and P1152 codes. I have a small oil leak from somewhere but it drips directly on my driver side upstream 02 connector. Might be that that's where the codes are coming from idk. I have new 02 sensors and I'll protect that connector till I can find where the leak is coming from.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Yeah, I read it in the svt performance tech forum

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
The big question is do I need a tune if I use eliminators when I install the offroad xpipe, or will I get by till I can afford to buy a handheld tuner ... If it's gonna run bad I'll have to wait on the install

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.