96 cobra

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
vibration could be coming from the input shaft like you said.

as to car feeling faster, I guess if the fluid was low and really old, could have more drag. who knows.
I'm looking into a clutch kit and I'm thinking of getting the kit with the flywheel also for when I take it in for the trans... I think my clutch is going anyway, on hard pulls there's a burning smell now that I think is my clutch.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
good plan.

burning clutch material smells like nothing else in the car, so once you smell it, you will always recognize it.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
good plan.

burning clutch material smells like nothing else in the car, so once you smell it, you will always recognize it.
Yeah, I haven't owned a mustang or any manual for 12 yrs (since my kids were born lol) but that smell is pretty distinct so I assume it's the clutch even tho it feels the same.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I also noticed 11" clutch kits for my year cobra, will that fit or should I just stick with the 10.5"

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I put an 11" in mine. I got a used flywheel, had it resurfaced then got the 11" clutch.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I put an 11" in mine. I got a used flywheel, had it resurfaced then got the 11" clutch.
Okay, I wasn't even sure if the 11" would fit since our T45 came with a 10 1/2". thank you!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Np. I did mine to allow for greater clamping area and for the future of any other mods I may do.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Anybody replace their clutch that has never even removed a trans before that? I'm on the fence about doing it myself, I'm pretty confident about working on certain things as long as I don't have to have anything within critical specs beside torque specs. For example, I'm gonna put sportline springs in next weekend but I'm gonna take it to an alignment shop to have it aligned properly. It would b a nice chunk of money I could save on labor that I could spend elsewhere. If anyone advises that I should just take it to a mechanic let me know. I appreciate it

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Everyone that has replaced a clutch had to do it a first time. You can do it! lots of help here if you need it. I am getting ready to a clutch in my Cobra next weekend. Ask lots of questions.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Everyone that has replaced a clutch had to do it a first time. You can do it! lots of help here if you need it. I am getting ready to a clutch in my Cobra next weekend. Ask lots of questions.
Thankyou for the words of encouragement, I'm sure I'll have questions when I get to it. I'm thinking I'll replace the clutch cable while I'm at it & maybe the clutch fork just in case along with the t.o. bearing and all. Maybe an xpipe since I have to remove the old one [emoji2]... any other suggestions?

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I would recommend using a Ford throw out bearing, also use a Stock clutch cable with a firewall adjuster instead of an adjustable cable. Maximum motorsports makes a nice kit. Post lots of pics! I'm sure others will chime in, lots of knowledge here.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering this clutch & flywheel kit, I was looking at the bbk clutch cable, quadrant & firewall adjuster also
69beba3c2a1f57cf334abe179c1b4927.jpg

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Ok, will the valeo t.o. bearing that comes with the clutch kit be good or should I get Ford parts

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
what he said..get the ford motorcraft tob. the problem with these kits is you have no idea what kind of tob you are getting so best to make sure by getting it separate. you might check ProMotion for their kits and see how the price compares. that way you can make sure you get the right tob when you call into order rather than ordering on line.

scroll down for the 11"

http://promotionpowertrain.com/NEW_FORD_CLUTCH_PAGE.html

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Ok, I'll check them out. I was thinking about getting an input shaft retainer too, maybe that's why it feels like it's wobbling side to side lol... but then again I'm a virgin with my knowledge of transmissions lol

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I picked up a BBK offroad x-pipe off a 98gt yesterday, basically brand new, for real cheap. Hopefully I can get it to fit, if not I'll just have to resell it. Next week I'll b ordering the clutch & flywheel & all the other little things for my clutch project

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online