96 cobra

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
nice!! you might have to play a bit with the hangars. you'll like the sound.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
An oem Ford clutch cable is about $90, a Ford racing adjustable cable is half that. Is it really worth spending that much?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
parts geek:

Ford Racing Clutch Cable - For Use w / T-45 Transmission
ford_racing.gif
1828143.jpg

Click to Enlarge

(Read reviews)
Our List Price: $50.98

Quantity:

(13) In Stock​

Part Number: 17877-03270727
Notes: For Use w / T-45 Transmission
Features:
  • Clutch Cable

Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2004/ford/mustang/clutch/clutch_cable.html

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
That's the same price I saw, the motorcraft cable was almost $90... aside from that, I found someone selling a clutch assembly with flywheel, clutch fork off an 03 cobra with 9,000 miles & he's willing to take $80. I'm thinking that would b a good but for the flywheel by itself. Yay or nay?

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I don't know if I should get the cheaper, but new, clutch & flywheel or just a new clutch and have my flywheel resurfaced or a used 11" flywheel. Decisions decisions... I have a headache lol

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
If you get the used flywheel I would definitely get it resurfaced. I personally would not use a used clutch but people do it all the time. You don't want to have to go back in there anytime soon. The 11" upgrade is a good idea if you ever plan to add power to the motor.

I am installing a new clutch right now because of a rear main seal leak and some TO bearing noise. The clutch in the car isn't very worn and the flywheel still looks good but I am doing the 11" upgrade with an Exedy lightened flywheel and Mach 400 clutch.

The firewall adjuster and quadrant kit make it so you can easily adjust your clutch. The factory set up is ready hard to deal with and you can't set the point of engagement where you want it.

When I got my car about a year ago I could barely drive it until I installed the adjuster.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I had the opposite experience. when mine got bad, which by the way, is usually due to the plastic or vinyl sheath around the cable collapsing due to the heat, I could barely press it in. I had the adjustable cable and an aftermarket hydrant. went back to both stock cable and hydrant and it feels much better than it ever did.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I had the opposite experience. when mine got bad, which by the way, is usually due to the plastic or vinyl sheath around the cable collapsing due to the heat, I could barely press it in. I had the adjustable cable and an aftermarket hydrant. went back to both stock cable and hydrant and it feels much better than it ever did.

The key is the ford cable. aftermarket cables have cheap housings that deteriorate and make it so the cable won't run smoothly.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
over time, they all deteriorate due to the heat, the Ford ones last longer than the aftermarket ones.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
So I picked up the used flywheel today, the guy gave me a new spec pilot bearing & a new National t.o bearing along with the clutch fork, pivot stud, clutch & pressure plate from the 03 cobra. I probably won't use the stuff but I can if I decide to. I also ordered a ford clutch cable & Steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster. Next week I have some things to order from A.M., I think I'm going to order a new driveshaft at the same time.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice. If you are going to use the 11" clutch make sure you get the right pressure plate bolts. the 11" uses bigger bolts than the 10.5". Ask me how I know...

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Ok, I did not know that. I was gonna order new flywheel bolts too but didn't notice pressure plate bolts specific to the size

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Me either, I went to put my new clutch in this weekend but could not find any bolts in town. I ordered ARP bolts from Summit...

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I'll definitely b getting new bolts, are there any specialty tools I'll need? I saw that I would need a slide hammer and pilot bearing removal toll. I have all the sockets, extensions, wrenches I should need. Hopefully it gets warm enough in the next couple weeks to work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online