96 GT transformation from blah to weekend car meets and Autocross Beast!

Rogera13

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed the forum since I joined. I find my self about to embark on a total transformation for my car. My son and I bought this car to compete in our local and regional SCCA Solo2 autocross. The fairly new CAM (classic american muscle) class should allow us the freedom to customize the car how we feel while having a blast competing against similar configured cars. I have 2 events in November then it's on! My goal is to take the car from it's current state and make it into a car to enjoy going to weekend car shows and meets as well as competing for the E.O.Y. points starting late January next year! My starting point is a 1996 Mustang GT with 140K. Great running car! CAI, Steeda short shifter and cat back Flowmaster exhaust. My plans from thanksgiving to late January are as follows.... New improved suspension front and back including hotchkins upper and lower control arms, pan hard bar and adjustable camber plates. Still weighing out between Eichbach Pro Plus or Coilovers. I will also add headers and offroad Hpipe, leaning toward a BAMA tuner. New custom interior (hate the tan) with back seat delete. I will also do my own paint (first time, but much needed). November should be busy between racing 3 times (twice in the mustang and 1 rallycross in my son's WRX) i should keep UPS pretty busy. Below is pictures of our start.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
I did play around and complete my first mod. Functional hood vents! I cut them from underneath and removed the factory inserts. Then used some of the aftermarket screen you can fill in for grills to hand form the desired shape. Then wired in place for easy removal when I repaint. Sitting at idle in the driveway with fan on you can see the the air getting pushed out! Exactly what I wanted!!

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Not a bad start for a project car! Some new wheels, fresh headlights and a height adjustment will make it look a whole other world better!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see you're enjoying the website. Great to see a father son project.

Look forward to your progress!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, good luck, and looking forward to seeing the progress!

RichV

Reaction score
What's your timeframe to get it competition ready?

It's easy to get wrapped up in mods, but remember to pay attention to the reliability aspect. I fought #71 last year at every event, makes it no fun when you've payed entry fees. So get the maintenance done! Fluids, brakes, bearings, bushings, cooling, electrical, and fuel system.

Sounds like a fun project! All too familiar for a lot of us here.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
What's your timeframe to get it competition ready?

It's easy to get wrapped up in mods, but remember to pay attention to the reliability aspect. I fought #71 last year at every event, makes it no fun when you've payed entry fees. So get the maintenance done! Fluids, brakes, bearings, bushings, cooling, electrical, and fuel system.

Sounds like a fun project! All too familiar for a lot of us here.

You are absolutely correct. First thing I did when I got the car was to complete service and fluid change! Trans, rear end, radiator flush, air filter the works!! After a few events I also realize horsepower is good but handling better! No major horsepower changing events planned. I figure between finishing the exhaust off and a mild tune I should have all the power I need without the big horsepower reliability issues. With the autocross/solo2 program I haven't found a course yet to get out of second gear! LOL! The solo2 program is a little more wallet and car friendly. Love to graduate up to what you're running but that will be a couple years down the road. The event we entered at Daytona had us running a closed course in the infield while the SCCA Club racing guys where on the main speedway! Oh yeah I noticed! LOL

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
So the list is complete for now. Couple more friendly visits from the UPS guy and I'll be ready to tear into it! Big thank you to this site for promoting the discount code and the excellent service from Latemodel Restoration!

Here's what's here: Black leather racing seats; RJS Racing 5 point harness; Hotchkis upper and lower control arms; Cobra front bumper; bondo and lots of sand paper! LOL

What's on order: KYB AGX adjustable Front and rear dampeners. 600# front coils and 250# rear coils; Front strut tower bar; Camber/Caster plates; Sub frame connectors; BBK shorty headers and X pipe; SCT tuner and custom SVE tune!

Can't wait to get started! Lift, alignment rack, and 4 point digital scales ready to go! Welder and spray guns ready! Jan 18th starts the new season! Pics to come!

Evilgt

Reaction score
I love this thread!

I love these builds!

Keep us updated in the autoX and road race forum.

Sadly I have not done much to mine in the last few months. boo.

OP
OP
R

Rogera13

Reaction score
No pics yet but the interior has been gutted and all interior panels have had the horrible tan painted the body color gray that will be on the outside of the car. So, big day yesterday. Suspension stripped down, K member dropped and BBK headers and offroad X-pipe installed. KYB adjustable struts and shocks, Ford racing springs front and back, Hotchkis Upper and Lower control arms, Steeda ball joints, SVT camber caster plates. Left to do this week are subframe connectors, Strut tower brace and run up on the allignment rack. Also, still have to install and break in slotted cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads. I'll add interior pics when installed. Should have complete and ready for first race on the 18th. then body work and paint! Here are so pics.
before

after

before

after

extras

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online