'98 Atlantic Blue GT Convertible - aka 'The Headless Horse'

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I think I figured i've made enough progress to not be completely embarrassed about posting a build thread about my new acquisition. So i guess it's about time i shared the story.

I originally saw it on CL when i first started looking, but kinda skipped over it. My first real prospect was an '04 SY GT with a Mach 1000 at a dealer my friend worked at, that fell through. Next was a very nice Mystic, then i realized being more in debt wasn't really worth it considering the position i was in. Then i slept back on the Mystic for a while, then went and looked at/test drove another Atlantic Blue convertible with the same grey interior with less miles and some basic mods/chrome bullitts. The owner was the father of one of the guys in our local club actually. I was led to believe it was a clean car, it wasn't...and he wanted way too much. So that same day when i got home i jumped back on CL and i saw it again. The ad was back up after being taken down for a while due to a guy almost buying it. So i went and looked at it a few hours later.

About a week or so later, it was mine.

I'm the 4th owner. 1st owner had it in Key Largo for almost 15yrs, the 2nd owner had it for a year and some change, and the guy i bought from had it for a few months.

Bonestock with 86k, and the top had recently been replaced.

First mods, steering wheel, headlights, shorty antenna, wipers/arms, pony emblem.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great work so far, looks like a solid platform. Hope you can make it as nice as the last :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Next mods.

Black carpet, Mach seats, shifter bezel, foglight mod, bullitt pedals, and my MGW with fresh Mobil1 ATF.

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Moms house in Tally.

Maintenance time.

Bye bye ORIGINAL PLUGS AND WIRES, hello 9mm ones and brand new 9yr old Autolite coppers. Coolant flush, upper and lower mishimoto hoses, K&N CAI, my newer clean overflow tank.

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
And now the good part, drivetrain/suspension time.

Installed the complete rear end, aluminum d/s, front suspension, new rack with offset polys, brakes, and of course my beloved wheels. I discovered i have a bent Kmember the other day. After doing my whole suspension and trying to adjust the Kmember, with that not fixing the problem that's what we concluded.

Hard to tell, but the drivers side strut is bent.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Learn something new every day! Wonder why they went without em.

Sent from 2 car lengths ahead of Matt's 2V!

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Learn something new every day! Wonder why they went without em.

Sent from 2 car lengths ahead of Matt's 2V!

Yeah, buncha random changes for 1998.

Still looking for more upgrades to my suspension. Picked up these brand new Roush spec Bilsteins for the rear for 120$ and removed my worn out GR2s. Can tell it's a little less bouncy. So i know if i get rid of my Tokico blues for the front and find a good deal on something i'll be in bidness. It's still bouncy as shit right now.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Great progress on this thing! It looks like a completely different car than when you first got it. Keep up the good work man

clflorida

Reaction score
Oh absolutely
48c3c213fd2273bf5783a6c48a99a363.jpg

bluex

Reaction score
Awesome car. I want those stock wheels that were on it!

1bad95

Reaction score
Looks great man! Lowering and the wheels really look great!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Car is looking really good. I love the Atlantic blue with the black top. What springs/isolator combo do you have? My 98 AB coupe has a similar front wheel to fender issue on the right side and it makes me wonder about my K member... What did you end up doing about it?

Do you have any pics from above with the Mach seats?

OP
OP
Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
H&R SS with no isos.

Haven't done anything about the K, not exactly a quick fix. Plan is tubular and still run spring perches with my arms. And negative on the seat pics. I haven't been taking a whole lot of pics with this one honestly, in terms of swapping everything over. Been too busy just getting it done. Hardly any of this stuff is new, maybe that's why.

Sent from tha trap house.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Thanks. I hear you on the "quick fix" My plan is a new K member eventually as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online