'99 Cobra engine in my '94 GT vert??

D Laf

Reaction score
I've come across a wrecked '99 Cobra that's engine and trans are still godd for $1000. Could anyone tell me if i need to upgrade anything to get it to fit in my '94 GT? I heard that i need to take out my brake booster and upgrade it to one out of a 99 or newer hydro booster. Anything you guys can tell will be helpfull.

S

scarface

your best bet would be to buy the whole car. You will run into ECU issues with your car being OBD1, and the 99 being OBD2. Also your K member would have to be changed out, as the mod engines have different motor mounts... Its not a hard swap IF you have a complete donor car.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Scarface said:
your best bet would be to buy the whole car. You will run into ECU issues with your car being OBD1, and the 99 being OBD2. Also your K member would have to be changed out, as the mod engines have different motor mounts... Its not a hard swap IF you have a complete donor car.

+1

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
D Laf said:
I've come across a wrecked '99 Cobra that's engine and trans are still godd for $1000. Could anyone tell me if i need to upgrade anything to get it to fit in my '94 GT? I heard that i need to take out my brake booster and upgrade it to one out of a 99 or newer hydro booster. Anything you guys can tell will be helpfull.

for a grand???? i want one!!!!!!!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you are gonna need a new k-member, wiring harness, gauges, hydroboost braking system, new steering rack, and many many other things...

Magic

Reaction score
Provided you have ALL the parts, and If you can do the work, or get the work done for cheap or free, then go for it. Otherwise just stick with the 302 or build up a 351W for it!

OP
OP
D

D Laf

Reaction score
yeah well the whole car did cost a grand but its pretty trashed....i can't see inside it...but supposedly the engine and tranny are still good..??..but I talked to a mechanic about the independent rear end and he told me that it would bolt right in. Any words on that??? And how about just using the 6 speed tranny on my 302?? Would that work out? But the engine swap sounds like a whole lot of work that i am not "financially inclined" enough to do. ha i really would like to do it my self as much as possible but i just don't have the know how just yet. But thanks so much for the help guys.
:-\

S

scarface

the 99 cobra had a 5sp t-45 trans. THe IRS will bolt in, however there will be some new holes drilled in your frame that you dont have. Not to mention a list of parts you would need to support the IRS from the donor car.

OP
OP
D

D Laf

Reaction score
aw damn i need to get better info sources! somone told me it was 6 haha....well....howw abbooouuttt the rear axle and stuff, will that do me any good at all or would you recomend just changing my gear ratio?

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
D Laf said:
aw damn i need to get better info sources! somone told me it was 6 haha....well....howw abbooouuttt the rear axle and stuff, will that do me any good at all or would you recomend just changing my gear ratio?

nope, its only 4. i installed an IRS out of an 04 cobra into my 98gt and everything bolted right up, just have to drill those 4 holes thru the frame and into the trunk, which i didnt do. i had plans of welding those brackets onto the frame instead, but i just havent gotten around to it (ps. those brackets have 4 bolts each, and our cars only have provisions for 2 of the 4 bolts per side. 2 go horizontally, 2 go vertically).

and actually none of the cobra stuff is any better than what you already have, aside from it being newer. both your 94 and the 99 have 28 spline diffs, so thats nothing. the gears, however, might be different. 99 cobra came with 3.27's and im not sure what your car came with, so you could just grab the gears off the cobra and install them in your gt. everything else is IRS specific so it wont work.

so how is this car totaled if the engine, trans, and IRS are all still good, yet you cant see inside the car? ???

OP
OP
D

D Laf

Reaction score
oh i think my gt actualy has the same gear ratio....
:dunno:
well the back end is good but the front is really bad. i had to get up on my toes to see the left front rim...its like 6 ft off the ground, but the back tires are sitting flat....so basically i wouldn't be coming out ahead if i bought it... cuz one i dont know how to do the swap, two the tranny is basically the same thing and three the ass end is mostly the same also...man im really glad i asked you guys, cuz would have paid a grand basically a few calipers and shit....thanks

S

scarface

FYI, I swapped a solid in and removed the IRS...If you arent going for the engine, dont bother with any of it.

OP
OP
D

D Laf

Reaction score
well then...im goin check it out again today to see if theres anything wrong w/ the engine...another question...if i could just get the heads from him for cheap would that fit on my 302?? Cuz that is sounding like an idea to me, unless i have to get new pistons n crud like that.

OP
OP
D

D Laf

Reaction score
thats what i figured. well thanks for all the help bro. Later

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Scarface said:
FYI, I swapped a solid in and removed the IRS...If you arent going for the engine, dont bother with any of it.

funny, i did the opposite. you shoulda seen the looks i got from people when i was asking around for an IRS for sale

D Laf said:
well the back end is good but the front is really bad. i had to get up on my toes to see the left front rim...its like 6 ft off the ground, but the back tires are sitting flat....so basically i wouldn't be coming out ahead if i bought it... cuz one i dont know how to do the swap, two the tranny is basically the same thing and three the ass end is mostly the same also...man im really glad i asked you guys, cuz would have paid a grand basically a few calipers and shit....thanks

where exactly is the car?? if you are willing to put in the wrench time, picking it up for a grand and then parting it out wouldnt be a bad idea, expecially if the engine, trans, and rear end are still in working order.

S

scarface

reivaxtorres said:
Scarface said:

funny, i did the opposite. you shoulda seen the looks i got from people when i was asking around for an IRS for sale

D Laf said:

where exactly is the car?? if you are willing to put in the wrench time, picking it up for a grand and then parting it out wouldnt be a bad idea, expecially if the engine, trans, and rear end are still in working order.
WyotechMSA on here has my IRS in his BAB cobra

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
yeah, i remember you mentioning the swap on the site before. why did you get rid of it?

S

scarface

I just prefer a solid axle. I dont drive my car hard enough to notice a difference in the handling, and I got a set of gears in the deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online