Air bags in place of springs

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Tony, this is your fault!

Ok.....air ride packages are far to expensive! Even though the package is complete with every nut bolt clamp, the cost is far to over welming! Most of that crap can be had at the hardware store. Air bags can be had for $35ea. Salvaged air shocks from verious Fords can be had cheap. Even other car makes have air ride. With all the availability of used parts, we all combine could devise a solid plan for an air ideset up. What are your thoughts community?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Air ride expensive for our cars? I haven't really looked into them that much but I thought you could get a complete kit for around 2k? That's pretty damn cheap for air suspension. Most of the folks I know running bags on their cars have spent 3-6K. What do I know though, I'm just a little static fukboi.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
$2k isnt all unreasonable. It is however one lump of cash. 3-6k is single life! No way possible I could chunk cash out for an air ride. Those that do, hey thats cool. The rides look awesome too

Seriously though. Enough of us desire bags. Their are enough available parts with in reach that we could conjour something up.

With all the talent here. We could come up with a pc'd out system that wont break the bank. Something like $500-700 DIY write up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Seriously though. Enough of us desire bags. Their are enough available parts with in reach that we could conjour something up.

With all the talent here. We could come up with a pc'd out system that wont break the bank. Something like $500-700 DIY write up.

well ell brother hook us all upon the ace hardwar leafe blower kit I am dying to see this at work. Give me a sec and I will pos some pics and you can name where thye came from

PO there rules to follow:
cheap can be good but rarel fastf
ast is good but not cheap
good can be fast but is not cheap.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
$2k isnt all unreasonable. It is however one lump of cash. 3-6k is single life! No way possible I could chunk cash out for an air ride. Those that do, hey thats cool. The rides look awesome too

Have you taken into consideration that a nice set of coil overs as well as the control arms that are needed would cost. will run a good chunk as well and ruin will

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
price depends on what you want the air ride for. this is just my .02 here!!! but i have absolutely ZERO interest in the ride height sensors and the automatic ride height settings. that being said, i could honestly get a car on air for around $800 probably lol. and when you're stopped at a light next to a bmw with $8,000 worth of air shit...no one is going to care that he spent 8k and you spent 800 :p

i mean you seriously tap a switch to raise and lower a car....how lazy are people getting if they don't want to have to reach their hand over to their switch panel and push a rocker switch lmao

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
ttocs.....your thinking backwards....need to think forwards! I get what youre saying, YES! The quality kit has all the engineering figured out and of course figured part of the cost. My idea is check available parts for fitment that may only need a tad altercation or bracket...something something...viola AIR RIDE!

Im running lowering springs, ride is stiff sporty. I'd love bags! Since I use a 5.4l engine, the front squats more than the rear. Only way to adjust the rear is adjustable lower control arms or different springs. Ride quality factors in and gets poopy.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I'd like Air Ride with all the good stuff too...not for the ride so much although I will enjoy that...but to get over bumps & into driveways without scraping or damaging my front Roush fascia pieces.... I can then add the Roush side exhaust I have in the attic & the rear fascia...I'd rather not have to spend $4,000 + either as I probably will never get to it that way...I just want to push a button & clear the obstacle or get in & out my steep driveway without scraping the Magnapaks!

Is it possible to add bags in front or rear (or both) & keep the Koni's?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I'd like Air Ride with all the good stuff too...not for the ride so much although I will enjoy that...but to get over bumps & into driveways without scraping or damaging my front Roush fascia pieces.... I can then add the Roush side exhaust I have in the attic & the rear fascia...I'd rather not have to spend $4,000 + either as I probably will never get to it that way...I just want to push a button & clear the obstacle or get in & out my steep driveway without scraping the Magnapaks!

Is it possible to add bags in front or rear (or both) & keep the Koni's?

yes you can run any shock/strut you choose...but only if you run an actual air bag instead of the shockwave style bags that are basically a coilover with a bag in the middle lol.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.....a bag can replace the front springs!

I notice most all bags are made the same with a few mounting holes on the top and bottom plates. Looks like fabricated adapters mount on them mimicing the springs ends to fit in the location. With out knowing the actual length of these adapters, mayb understanding the bags inflated length will help give a general idea of the adapters length. Could I take a small welder, a hand held sheet metal cutting tool and fab my own bag/spring replacement. If yes, how long does the bag be to function properly and be successful?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas