Anrev's build thread

Anrev

Reaction score
This isnt going to be as much of a build thread as one might think. Ive been looking at all my options and what not. Used low mile engines. Engines needing a full rebuild. Rebuilt short block stroker. Crate motor. And after talking it over with my wife, Ive decided to get a FRPP GT-40 long block crate motor.
397-M-6007-XE3M.jpg

Specs:
Ford Racing GT-40X aluminum cylinder heads 397-M-6049-X303 with 1.94'' intake valves and 1.54'' exhaust valves.
Ford Racing hydraulic roller camshaft 397-M-6250-B303 which provides significant horsepower increases above 4000 RPM and good low end torque. Valve lift is .480'' on both intake and exhaust. Duration at .050'' is 224° on both intake and exhaust.
9.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
345 HP

Add to that a King Cobra clutch, BBK h-pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, Cobra intake BBK 65mm TB and underdrive pulleys and the 3.73 gears and a dyno tune and I should have a nice little ride in a couple of weeks. :D

The stuff all gets ordered tomorrow. Ill start taking pics then too as I start prepping the car.

Hicks

Reaction score
Good luck with your Engine build, keep the pics posted etc.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Suspect said:
i dunno what ur paying, but i woulda went here http://www.dssracing.com/ or http://www.coasthigh.com/ get some better heads, get an intake and i think ud be happier.

i agree with you 100000% for what those ford crate engines cost you can get a sweet DSS longblock and MUCH better heads and be leaps and bounds ahead of that ford motor.

Im not knocking the ford product Im just saying you can do better for the money your going to spend.

Hicks

Reaction score
Ford crates are what? 4-5k?
Yea, I agree, the engine could probly be built with the same money and get better results.

Suspect

Reaction score
id get a stroker for that much. :naughty:

Hicks

Reaction score
Yea, my painter told me some of the Ford crate moters can have some issues. One of his buddy's got one and he had to take it back for something. Balance issues??? I think is what it was. Ford DOES NOT, ASSEMBLE their engines. They supply the parts and someone else does. What i heard.

I'd say, have one built or build one yourself. more fun :D

OP
OP
A

Anrev

Reaction score
I was going to go with DSS. But they are more expensive with Cast Iron heads than the GT40 from Jegs.

DSS Long Block list:
306 $4399.95 Iron heads.

DSS With GT40X heads:
306 $4499.95

The FRPP from Jegs with the GT40X heads
302 $3999.99

And as Im on a limited (borrowed $$$) budget. AND a time crunch. AND the wife and parental units (their money) insisted on a NEW engine. That the method to my madness. :hammer:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Anrev said:
I was going to go with DSS. But they are more expensive with Cast Iron heads than the GT40 from Jegs.

DSS Long Block list:
306 $4399.95 Iron heads.

DSS With GT40X heads:
306 $4499.95

The FRPP from Jegs with the GT40X heads
302 $3999.99

And as Im on a limited (borrowed $$$) budget. AND a time crunch. AND the wife and parental units (their money) insisted on a NEW engine. That the method to my madness. :hammer:

what level is that from DSS? How much for just a shortblock? Then you could add your own heads

OP
OP
A

Anrev

Reaction score
Bottom end Short Block from DSS is $1600. Heads would be just over $1000. Plus cam kit of about $600-$800 for everything including roller rockers.

So its just about the same for cost. A little less maybe.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Anrev said:
Bottom end Short Block from DSS is $1600. Heads would be just over $1000. Plus cam kit of about $600-$800 for everything including roller rockers.

So its just about the same for cost. A little less maybe.

hmmm well the easy way is the ford deal for sure since it comes together already, but If it were me I would get the DSS block pick out my own heads ( and by the way a set a lot better than those Ford ones ) and have a stronger combo. I looked but could not find out......does that ford motor have FORGED INTERNALS ???

OP
OP
A

Anrev

Reaction score
Progress! I got the new headlights on! :dancing6:
stang09.jpg

stang06.jpg

stang07.jpg

And one of several cracks.
stang08.jpg
:(

I started painting interior parts and then realized that it didnt match the grey on the new seat covers. So I gotta go buy some new slightly darker paint.

And when I took out the old center consule I found the remnants of several hundred joints..... :pimp2: No wonder the nose is all banged up. :slap:

Reaction score
you need to get a better clutch than that horrible king cobra clutch. do it right the first time and get a centerforce dual friction clutch. also i think your going to be disappointed with the motor. also i don't believe the gt40 has any forged internals i believe its still the hyper pistons

OP
OP
A

Anrev

Reaction score
Your the first person Ive heard not like the KC clutch. Most of the guys in my local club use em and love em.

As far as all the nay sayers on the FRPP engine. Well first and foremost the car is a daily driver. Second, its not going to get raced on any tracks. Stop light to stop light a little maybe. Third its not going to get any power adders. Forth.... I dont know if there is a forth. Oh yeah there is. Im not looking to have the baddest Stang on the planet. Or even in Denver for that matter. My goal all along was to have a 300+ NA RWHP Stang as a daily driver. Either way. Its going to be better than the stock engine.

Reaction score
since your wanting just a turn key that motor will be fine. the reason i talk bad about the king cobra clutch is because several of my friends have had bad experiences with them. for instance my friend with his 91 gt just had his clutch installed let it break in properly and only has a little under 3k miles on it and its lalready slipping

Hicks

Reaction score
Decisions... Decisions...
Have fun with all that, just try and view all your options. Alot of the guys on here know what they are doing. Helion and trubble are the ones to go to. Dalamar*spelling* knows what hes doing also. Eny of the big wigs.

OP
OP
A

Anrev

Reaction score
And I DO appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. That sucks about the clutch. Hope mine dont do that.

Motor will be here Wed. Maybe by the end of the month Ill have some fire in it. Im having the interior redone and am putting in the stereo all at the same time. So there is alot going on with the car right now. Gears, exhaust, engine, clutch, interior, and soon paint. Then Im going to do brakes and suspension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online