Are you good at laying carbon fiber.......take my money!

smitdavi

Reaction score
I've been working on a stupid project for months now, only to scrap it half way through and then restart. I have the CF and the pieces. I would pay you to skin these parts for me. It's the inner parts of export mirrors. Hit me up via pm if your interested. Would like to see some pics of your handy work :)

Thanks,
David

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly is it? I worked with all kinds of fiber glass/carbon fiber every day for 5 years straight. [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION] is pretty good and so is [MENTION=9106]Thomas_W[/MENTION]

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
It's the piece of the mirror that attaches to the car. Not the mirror housing, but the other triangular piece.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really set up to do that sort of stuff at home, but what is it that's troubling you. I've often considered making a mold for parts like that and making good pieces affordably, but I know if it was so easy someone else would have done it lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had talked to him before and thought it was going to be a difficult shape to get it all to work and look good on with out using a resin infusion kit to ensure it held tight and was even. I could try it but I am afraid I will mess up the mirrors and not sure what they are at now at this point? I know when the skinning fails the only way to correct it is to cut/sand it off and start over. I recently skinned my gauge surround but it was really flat, unlike a mirror.

I can consider it but I am currently out of supplies and would need to get more to even attempt it and not sure on the timeline. I can't guarantee it though as its the most complex shape I have skinned but worst case scenario it would mean cutting/sanding the old layer off.....

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I was thinking molding it might be more ideal. Give it a heavy coat of wax (more like 3 or 4 coats) and then skin it with fiberglass. That that cure, scuff it, and throw a few more layers of fiberglass down. Once it's thick enough that you think it will hold up, build a wooden frame around it so it can sit flat on a bench. Then fiberglass that into place.

Then pop it off after it cures and use that mold to lay up the fiber. Really not a hard process but it is a bit time consuming.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
remember that all the pieces still need to attach to the motors as well as the other half. It sounds nice and simple till you take the shape into account and the rest of the pieces that all go together and move correctly

I think that skinning would be fine but we need to use a different material then the usual flat stuff. I have seen you can get it made like a hose/sock and this would probably be the best way to get around the shape.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
remember that all the pieces still need to attach to the motors as well as the other half. It sounds nice and simple till you take the shape into account and the rest of the pieces that all go together and move correctly

I think that skinning would be fine but we need to use a different material then the usual flat stuff. I have seen you can get it made like a hose/sock and this would probably be the best way to get around the shape.

I thought the motor and everything was in the glass housing. He is talking about the part that attaches to the body

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I could do it and have Most of the materials, time and space are the two things im short on for now. Hopefully the space thing will be fixed by the end of the month.

With very complex shapes, it is very hard to get it all skinned in one piece, especially if its a plain weave CF.

small parts actually come at a premium when i do parts like this bc of the high possibility in having to do it multiple times to get it right.

Molding the base and doing a CF shell would be an option buy you would have to have a Very light weight (IE very thin!) CF fabric so as to not have to sand down the part for the shell to fit.