Arguments about N/A vs. Boost

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It really depends on what heads and intake you plan on running. The problem with going with a higher lift cam and less duration is that boost just goes right out of your exhaust

Probably a stock pi intake and the stock npi heads. I'll also upgrade my MAF, cai, injectors, etc etc the typical stuff to run boost.

Orig shortblock can handle 350-375 rhwp no problems for a long time.
Once you go over 400 rwhp thats when your supposed to have trouble.
I ran 385 rwhp for over 2 yrs through my auto and now make 440 rwhp, no problems yet.

Then i should have no problem, since i'll be tuning it for around 350 rwhp.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was running back in the day, pi manifold and stock non pi heads....you dont want stock pi cams in a setup like that...either keep you stock non pi cams or look into mhs or crower non pi blower grinds

twovalveterror

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but throwing boost at your only car seems like a terrible idea. dd'ing a blown car and it being your only car are two different things. they have great potential to be just as reliable and street friendly as they were before the change in aspiration, but all it takes is one little hiccup for you to be walking home.

that's just me, if I lost both of my cars, it would mean losing my job and failing school because I wouldn't be able to make it to either.

Justin, I give you huge props for what you have done with your car, and whoever did your tune deserves a commendation for making that kind of power reliable on a stock short block. I think even you'll have to admit, that power level is flirting with disaster. I mean that as a compliment if that wasn't clear.

ferocious, I'll say it again, why worry about numbers? my dd only has 210ish hp, and I have a shit eating grin on my face every time I drop the hammer and hit 7k rpm. make your car fun for you, not fast for everyone else. bang for your buck upgrades, gears will make it a blast, and maybe a five speed swap if that's your style. I know it would make it a ton more fun for me.

I'll get off my slightly biased soap box now...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My car put down 205 on 87 octane. It can still surprise the heck out of a loooot of people.

Just gotta have fun with it and enjoy it. That's the whole point of these cars :)

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but throwing boost at your only car seems like a terrible idea. dd'ing a blown car and it being your only car are two different things. they have great potential to be just as reliable and street friendly as they were before the change in aspiration, but all it takes is one little hiccup for you to be walking home.

that's just me, if I lost both of my cars, it would mean losing my job and failing school because I wouldn't be able to make it to either.

Justin, I give you huge props for what you have done with your car, and whoever did your tune deserves a commendation for making that kind of power reliable on a stock short block. I think even you'll have to admit, that power level is flirting with disaster. I mean that as a compliment if that wasn't clear.

ferocious, I'll say it again, why worry about numbers? my dd only has 210ish hp, and I have a shit eating grin on my face every time I drop the hammer and hit 7k rpm. make your car fun for you, not fast for everyone else. bang for your buck upgrades, gears will make it a blast, and maybe a five speed swap if that's your style. I know it would make it a ton more fun for me.

lol, I agree with everything you said man....its a terrible idea and its way past flirting with disaster. lol

It wont surprise me if it blows up. I give my tuner lots of props for keeping this thing together but for whatever reason this motor takes a beating and comes back for more.

It even went through a period where my MAF broke and my A/F ratios were off the charts lean, like 17 and 18:1 with massive detonation, enough to knock the end off one of my spark plugs but it held together.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I am making my car fast for myself. Thats why i'm not asking to be at 400+ rwhp. I know i'll be happy with anything over 280 or so.
It it my only car, but then again i wont be keeping it for more than 3-4 more years. And i hate manuals, my mom has one and god do i hate it.
I know i'll get shit for my auto, but i like it being as simple as turning it on & throwing it in drive.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Throw a looser torque converter and a jmod in that auto and it will blow your mind

I plan on getting a torque converter, probably 2500, nothing too major.
As for a jmod, i don't think i've ever heard of that... can you enlighten me justin?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I plan on getting a torque converter, probably 2500, nothing too major.
As for a jmod, i don't think i've ever heard of that... can you enlighten me justin?

A few things, the stock converter is rated at 2350-2750 I believe and generally flashes to about 2500 rpms. I would say at the very least go with a 3200 converter.

A jmod is a valvebody but basically controls how the car shifts with fluid pressure.

The mod involves drilling out some holes and some people remove/swap springs.

The goal is to get the trans to shift faster thus putting less stress on parts when shifting.

If you do a converter you will 100% need a cooler. Even now you should invest in a good trans cooler. Keeping transmissions alive is all about keeping the heat down and the fluid fresh.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
A few things, the stock converter is rated at 2350-2750 I believe and generally flashes to about 2500 rpms. I would say at the very least go with a 3200 converter.

A jmod is a valvebody but basically controls how the car shifts with fluid pressure.

The mod involves drilling out some holes and some people remove/swap springs.

The goal is to get the trans to shift faster thus putting less stress on parts when shifting.

If you do a converter you will 100% need a cooler. Even now you should invest in a good trans cooler. Keeping transmissions alive is all about keeping the heat down and the fluid fresh.

I fully agree with all of this. Couldn't have said it better.

LilRoush

Reaction score
Just my $.02 on this.
I've done the 'build it N/A route' and then slapped on a blower. A blower build and an N/A build are two very different builds. To get the most out of the blower, you need to build it for the blower.

If you have a power goal and a budget that allows a blower, ad the blower and be done. Less work, less stress and it will make for a very fun car.

I have had supercharged daily drivers for YEARS and will continue to for the forseeable future. Having a DD break really has to do with you and how well you take care of it. I've been left on the side of the road by more N/A cars than boosted cars just because I was young and not taking care of them correctly.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yes, add a blower and be done IF you have an upgraded intake/bolt ons for a non pi motor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online

No members online now.