Arguments about N/A vs. Boost

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

If i had the money i would so be on that. How unfortunate it comes on sale right now :mad: This thread was just for future reference... probably around the end of summer...

Deleted a lot of the crap that went on in here, not everything. Tried to leave informative posts there. Mainly focused are the arguments.

Thanks jeremy. This thread got out of hand quick. Digging for answers became a nightmare hahah

but also whats the point in putting a vortech on a stock non pi h/c/i car? to hit 270rwhp? lol

I'm almost positive i'll be getting a pi intake and cams. Heads probably not.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Helped me a ton...
But when it comes time to buy my parts, i have a big decision to make.

framda

Reaction score
I would agree with you if we had stronger bottom ends haha. With a stock bottom end what's the point?

Justin, I have a 98 NPI w/ 107,000 miles, runs great no problems. I have the PI intake and heads waiting to go on. I would like to S/C it in the future. What are the weaknesses in the bottom end? I am trying to determine whether I should hold off on the h/c/i/ and finding or building a shortblock for it. I don't want to go HP crazy but I want it to last a little while anyway. Any suggestions?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I would never suggest putting stock pi cams in non pi heads with a blower....ask me how I know. They simply have too much lift, less duration than stock non pi cams and thats the exact direction you do NOT want in a blower car

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
framda, its really just the rods/rod bolts that should be your main concern, that and RPM's. Pistons would probably be your next weak point but with a safe tune and reasonable boost/rpms your motor will be fine, I would do a compression test before putting a blower on that motor however

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would never suggest putting stock pi cams in non pi heads with a blower....ask me how I know. They simply have too much lift, less duration than stock non pi cams and thats the exact direction you do NOT want in a blower car

would you recommend a different set or should i just keep running the stock npi cams?

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
are you 100% going blower in the future?

I wont say 100%, but more than likely yes. I'm not gonna risk spending all my funds on a n/a engine for this car, so i'll end up going the blower route.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yep rods and pistons are weak. You really need a safe tune and have to avoid detonation. Keep throwing boost done around 10psi and you will bring good.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
than honestly man if you plan on boosting in the future I would save yourself the hassle from swapping to stock PI cams and just wait and get a nice set of blower grinds.

5.0kid

Reaction score
this thread is just making me want to get a new edge fun toy and supercharge it lol

framda

Reaction score
framda, its really just the rods/rod bolts that should be your main concern, that and RPM's. Pistons would probably be your next weak point but with a safe tune and reasonable boost/rpms your motor will be fine, I would do a compression test before putting a blower on that motor however

Yep rods and pistons are weak. You really need a safe tune and have to avoid detonation. Keep throwing boost done around 10psi and you will bring good.

I would like to do the h/c/i by the end of summer and then start saving for the "justin kit". Not looking to boost it to crazy levels, so orig short block can take it?
I will double check the compression levels.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
than honestly man if you plan on boosting in the future I would save yourself the hassle from swapping to stock PI cams and just wait and get a nice set of blower grinds.

even if i'm not gonna be running a high psi? i'm gonna get a more than friendly tune since i dd the car. i probably wont tune it for more than 350..

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
correction, "a new edge motor and supercharge it". Our cars are way sexier!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
even if i'm not gonna be running a high psi? i'm gonna get a more than friendly tune since i dd the car. i probably wont tune it for more than 350..

It really depends on what heads and intake you plan on running. The problem with going with a higher lift cam and less duration is that boost just goes right out of your exhaust

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
It really depends on what heads and intake you plan on running. The problem with going with a higher lift cam and less duration is that boost just goes right out of your exhaust

Isnt that why they make blower cams? They have less overlap and less "scavenging" effect which probably has a negative effect when boosted?

Correct me if im wrong, IDK.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would like to do the h/c/i by the end of summer and then start saving for the "justin kit". Not looking to boost it to crazy levels, so orig short block can take it?
I will double check the compression levels.

Orig shortblock can handle 350-375 rhwp no problems for a long time.

Once you go over 400 rwhp thats when your supposed to have trouble.

I ran 385 rwhp for over 2 yrs through my auto and now make 440 rwhp, no problems yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online