Can't bleed convertible top lines

Rich

Reaction score
So as the title states, I have been unable to get the top in my '04 convertible to retract or extend from the completely up or completely down position. I've gone through over $1,000 in replacement parts because I keep stripping cylinders or messing up the lines. I've cracked the lines at the cylinder to bleed air out, I've used Teflon tape on the threads and not used them (I know they're compression fittings), I've changed the o-rings, I've used different fluids. I have watched every video I can find and they all make it look so easy but I can't seem to figure it out. The lines are clear which allow me to see the air pockets and they always pop up when the top either fully reaches the top or the bottom.

The only thing I've had a mechanic do to my car is I had Griggs Racing weld in their sub-frame connectors, other than that I've managed to do all of the work on my car myself, which includes tearing the engine bay apart to paint, replacing the rear gears, routing the battery to the trunk replacing exhaust, removing a/c, swapping steering shaft, etc., but this top issue has got me completely stumped.

The only thing I can think of that is creating issues is when I replaced the top, I created some kind of binding issue where the pump isn't strong enough to overcome, but I'm able to lift it and lower it myself without much issue so I find it difficult to believe that's it and that shouldn't cause air bubbles. Any help would be appreciated before I buckle and take it into someone.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Thats gotta suck! All that fun replacing stock parts with upgrades and something totally different stops working.....this sounds exactly like my luck!!!

I know nothing about convertibles of any car platform, so im no help.

One thing you did not mention is, you can hear the convertible top motor running/struggling to move. Im assuming it is running when you notice nothing moving, but just incase, ill say this.....could their have been some wires cut that operate the conv motor when doing the extra work in the trunk?

Stupid question, i know. Good luck finding the issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I was hoping someone with experience would chime in. I was wondering if its possible the hydraulic lines have a bend in them restricting flow? It never hurts to check the grounds to the motor and by check I mean remove them, clean them and then retighten them not just look at them.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Just a point of reference: When I added extension lines in order to move the pump to make room for my amp, I never bled the lines (didn't even think about it, actually), and had zero problems, so I have to think your issue lies elsewhere, though perhaps I was simply lucky?

OP
OP
R

Rich

Reaction score
Yeah, it will move if I help it and once it passes a certain point either going up or down it will do it on it's own, albeit slowly. Almost definitely air in the cylinder (the lines are clear so I can see when their are air bubbles in them) but I'm just totally stumped. I was going to even buy a new pump thinking the pump just sucked, but those are on back order for days probably sitting on some cargo ship off my coast waiting to be unloaded...

delling3

Reaction score
Yeah, it will move if I help it and once it passes a certain point either going up or down it will do it on it's own, albeit slowly. Almost definitely air in the cylinder (the lines are clear so I can see when their are air bubbles in them) but I'm just totally stumped. I was going to even buy a new pump thinking the pump just sucked, but those are on back order for days probably sitting on some cargo ship off my coast waiting to be unloaded...
You did fill the system, correct? I know, sounds stupid, but the have been known to loose fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online