Car Running Like Shit, Help me fix the problem

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So yesterday i finally get my car out of the garage (3 days of rain) to break in my brakes and all of a sudden i feel something off with the car, 2 minutes later....Check Engine Light Comes on :BangHead:

I turn around to co home to see what the code is and the computer showed no code. So i cleared the Codes (even though they were none) and reset the computer. Even after that the car still runs like shit....here are the Symptoms.

-Car is running REALLY rich
-Car almost feels like its Missing or not getting fuel or spark
-Below 2300 RPMs the motor has ZERO power, almost dies. Feels as its getting no spark or Fuel. Drives ALOTbetter after 3,000 RPMS
-Car has ALOT of hesitation
-Run OK when its col but after 5 mins runs like shit.

Since i have reset the computer and cleared codes the check engine light has not come on since but the car runs like SHIT.

Since then i have done these things....

-I have made sure that ever spark plug wire and fuel injector wire was plugged in.
-I unplugged pretty much every electrical connection under the hood and applied Dielectric Grease to everything including spark plus wires and fuel injectors
-To check if the Coil Packs were failing i swapped out the MSD units for the stock units, no better results.

All of the above have not help one bit. I have eliminated a bad connection because i have checked everything and i have also eliminated the coil packs because they both stock and MSD packs produce the same results.

So what do you think it could be guys?
-O2 Sensors?
-Plus Wires?
-MAF?
-IAC?
-Fuel Injectors?

I have already ordered O2 sensors and Plus wire which will be here on monday. I wanted to see what you guys think so i can eliminate the problem.

Thanks,
-Handz

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
it could be the MAF. On my gt, I started it and it had a real lumpy idle and I had to keep giving it gas or it would stall out, found out it was the MAF, later replaced it and it was fine

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Best thing would be to get to an autozone and have them read the codes if you dont have an xcal.

Shit like this sucks and can be a pain to figure out.

First thing I would do is get some of that gas dryer shit that is supposed to take any water out of your gas if thats the problem.

I had a similar problem that ended up being bad gas. It will run like dog shit and hesitate a lot untill at higher rpms.

Could be a bad 02, but usually an o2 will just make it run rich and you willl get a code, not run like shit.

Clean the MAF also.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
usually if the MAF is the problem and you spray that cleaning shit on there it will run a little better for a bit

And I thought you could unplug the MAF sensor and the computer will revert to speed density....but im not sure about that one, maybe someone can chime in.

I did this with my friends jetta who was having similar problems...unplugged the MAF and the car ran fine, plugged i back in and it would barely idle.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i cleaned the maf not that long ago.

The thing is that i did get a code, and the car is running damn rich....but when i went to read the code it said "No Trouble Codes" but i had a check engine light.

I even put the stock tune back on it it still runs like poopy.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
i cleaned the maf not that long ago.

The thing is that i did get a code, and the car is running damn rich....but when i went to read the code it said "No Trouble Codes" but i had a check engine light.

I even put the stock tune back on it it still runs like poopy.

IMO, the signs are pointing to bad gas.....

get some of that water removing shit and see what happens

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thats weird because right before this started i filled my tank with 91 octane Arco Gas....

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i still think it has to be something besides the gas thats doing this...i didnt use cheap gas

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
here is exactly what happened.

i clean my engine bay with a light amount of water...i didnt pressure wash just light rinse and wipe.

rain perfect for a 20 mile drive to the beach.

Refilled full tank 91 octane.

Drove 6 miles and BAM, check engine light came on and it was running like shit.

why would bad gas make the car smell like it running SUPER rich?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know... but I'd still be weary of that gas. It could just be a fluke that it happened right after you got gas, but iunno. I'd try that gas dry stuff justin recommended. Doubt it can do any harm if its not it.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i was assuming fuel injectors before bad gas....so i put a whole can or fuel injector cleaner in there.

Couldnt i just drain the gas?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure... seems to me that if an injector went bad, one wouldnt be enough to make it as bad as your makin it out to be.

Draining the gas seems like a waste of money. I'd just try the drying shit and see what happens. If you can't notice a diffrence, then drain the gas.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i dont think it is the bad gas i would lean more towards spraying the engine down that may have caused something.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But if it was related to that, the problems should have started sooner shouldnt they? After a twenty mile drive, any water that was there should have evaporated or showed any problems already.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
fastgtfairlane said:
i dont think it is the bad gas i would lean more towards spraying the engine down that may have caused something.

i didnt really didnt spray the engine, just a light little rinse and wipe.

the think is after i cleaned the motor the car ran fine for a 20 miles drive on streets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.