Car Running Like Shit, Help me fix the problem

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
some people are saying it could be TPS, how could TPS be effecting this?

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
if it is in fact the tps you can get a scan tool that can do live readings on all of your sensors then you can check the voltage of your tps to see if it has a bad spot in the voltage reading to the computer. you may be able to use the diablo tuner to check it. i dunno cause ive never messed with a diablo tuner. ur gonna have to try something, we cant e-diagnose your car for you. if it were me i would first get the fuel stabilizer that will treat your gas.

5.Woahhh

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:

I posted that on the first page. Im not sure why, but check it, bang it a couple of times, it should provide a temp fix. This just happened to my friends 99GT. Appearntly it comes lose or something.

And dont drain the gas. You could smell if it was bad.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
when my tps was bad, it would stay at 3000 rpms and the car would pull me around pretty fast when I was in gear without touching the gas lol.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i highly doubt the tps is bad in your car. havent seen a responce from handz. maybe he is actually trying to figure out what is wrong with his car.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:

It's not the TPS, the car is not going into closed loop like it should, faulty coolant sensors, faulty O2's could cause this.

TheBoss8907

Reaction score
Let me ask you something, when you say it runs like shit... it runs like shit at WOT or whenever you actually 'get on it'?

Because it runs like it has a heavy miss, and you're cruising at idk 50mph and when you accelerate pretty quick, does it bog and if it does can you ease the pedal into it?

If you can ease into it whenever you on the highway, then its most likely an igniting problem.

Its kinda hard to explain, but if someone chime in on this and explain it better that would help lots of people.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And the Problem was.....

Oxygen Sensors

I picked my O2 sensors at the dealer today and put them in and also reset the computer. Car runs PERFECT.

I drove a good 35-40 miles to the beach and back so the computer could learn whats up.

Car runs smooth and idles perfect. All the power is back.

J.R.>SN95forums because he knew it was O2 Sensors

to everyone that said bad gas, listen to J.R

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've never had bad gas in my life lol. I have a 48 Willy's pickup that sat since sometime in the 70's before I bought it. I filed the point's, set the gap, rebuilt the carburetor, threw in a new 6v battery and it fired right up.

1FastGT

Reaction score
fastgtfairlane said:
you need to get some kind of diagnostic scan tool that you can see what all of the sensors, etc are doing. could maybe be something like coolant temp sensor or something. i would try to find a scan tool and check your sensor voltage etc....

a ect shouldnt cause his symptoms, sounds like its a bad o2's from over here in Florida haha but then again if you got a friend that is a technician locally go there hook that shit up read the o2's see how their reading. if not that it could also be the MAF this is most definatly symptoms of that

lucky for me i have all data pro :) thank you work! ahhaa ill look around and post up anything i can find in the bullitens/troubleshooting

salcido16

Reaction score
Yo where'd u get ur O2 sensors...i know i have to get either extended ones or extend them myself

1FastGT

Reaction score
go onto american muscle they sell extension kits i believe

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice, bad gas would produce similar symptoms....but the rich part does point to O2 sensors now that I think about it.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
1FastGT said:
a ect shouldnt cause his symptoms,

An ECT tell's teh computer when the engine has warmed up, therefor allowing it to start closed loop operation.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey J.R., Since my Front O2's were Faulty think i should change the rear O2's also? I am curious because i heard they do nothing for engine management. Feed me some Info Please.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Hey J.R., Since my Front O2's were Faulty think i should change the rear O2's also? I am curious because i heard they do nothing for engine management. Feed me some Info Please.

Rear O2's only function is to report on the functionality of your cat's. If you follow that, lol. You need them turned off in your tune if they are not working correctly, or you'll fail smog out there.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well J.R. i dont need to pass smog for a other year. I am not running cats but i am using MIL Eliminators AND have the Rear O2s turned off with the Tune.

Also J.R. answer me 1 more question. My FRPP Wires have 60,000 miles on them. whats is the interval for replacing spark plug wires? Should i replace mine now or just wait.....

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Then you're good with the rear O2's, just ignore them.

Wire's, i think Ford call's for 70-100k or something. I leave mine as long as they are not brittle and I'm not having any issues. I basically only change mine out of boredom. FRPP wire's are like 45 buck's now though, so changing them isn't that big of deal.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
theyre 80 bucks from ford where i am. i dont understand how people get "bad fuel" any given fuel station runs 24/7 it just doesnt stay stagnate... worse case is its water in the lines from filling the main reservoirs during inclement weather. in any case run a fuel treatment, check plugs if needed and drive around silly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online