Cash for Clunkers - or Why Car Salesmen are Morons

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So on Friday I traded the black car ('95 GT Mustang Coupe) in at last and bought a brand new 2009 Honda Civic EX 5-speed Coupe with all the fancy crap like tint and pinstripe and stupid stuff the dealer tries to charge you an arm and a leg for. It's silver with black interior, has really cold A/C, gets good gas mileage, and I can hook up my iPod to the radio. Pretty neato indeed.

Honda.jpg

Here's the breakdown:

MSRP $19,205
Doc Fee $670

I paid:
Sale Price - $17,879
Sales Tax - $1483.87 (all of which will be a deduction on my 2009 return thanks to the Stimulus Package)
Total Fees - $737
ARP - 5.90%
Cash for Clunkers Trade-in Allowance for '95 Mustang GT w/150K miles - $4501
Amount Financed - $15,598.87
Payment - $301.54 for 60 months

No additional down payment except the black car.

So someone asked "why would I trade my car in when I'm just getting in more debt?" First off, late last year I spent over $2000 trying to fix mysterious problems with the black car that NOBODY could figure out, including me, all of the very experienced mustang guys on my local board, Keith at AZDC, and my local mechanic. $2000 down the drain with nothing to show for it. The black car was dying, and recently even begun not starting, or starting, stumbling, then dying. It would do this 15-20 times (seriously) before it worked. The T5 was also in need of a rebuild. It simply was not worth the cost and aggravation to keep trying to fix a car that would continue to break down. I need my car to get to work. Period.

Now before I gave them the black car, I took off:

The 8.8 axle which I sold for $300 and replaced with a V6 axle found on Craigslist for $50.
The CD Player which I sold for $60.
The Magnaflow Catted X-pipe and Flowmaster exhaust which I will sell for good money, and replaced with $10 stock exhaust stuff.
The Cobra wheels which I sold for $200.
The front seats which I gave to Ben in exchange for some grey V6 stockers.
The Edelbrock intake and elbow that I will probably get at least $350 for once I clean it and powdercoat it.
The throttle body which I sold for $50.
The gauges which I sold for $160.
The steering wheel that I got $60 for in exchange for my friend's stocker.

That's about another $1000 net in my pocket.

So while I paid more for all of this stuff, I likely would have to leave it if I wanted to sell the car, whereas here I get good money for it and the dealership doesn't give a shit either way. Plus I got to help out a few friends with some great deals on great parts.

I bought the car from Bell Honda. The sales guy Jason Teel was pretty cool, but the finance manager "Derek" was a giant douchebag toolshed. He tried to justify their $158 per month "Protection Package" by telling me that Hondas are built with "special nuts and bolts" and that I can't get the tools to work on them. ONLY Honda dealers have them. :| What a fucking tool. He also told me that the $4500 trade-in allowance for the black car isn't like money down, and that I'll be flipped in the car as soon as I drive it home - which necessitates gap insurance. I asked him how a rebate that reduces the financed amount is different from cash money - and he couldn't tell me. The scary thing is that people out there probably believe this guy's bullshit. I told him to write the contract with the terms I negotiated up front, or I was walking out. He finally got a clue. I can't say I'd recommend that dealership to anyone given the experience I had with this jackass. Honda Cars of Mesa is far better.

Overall, I'm totally happy. I have a brand new car that will very likely be reliable, a cheap payment that is partially offset by significant savings in fuel costs, and total piece of mind. Cash for Clunkers worked great for me. I'll gladly make my car payment in exchange for piece of mind and reliability. However, I don't see how this would benefit most folks because most people who drive old beaters like me don't have the money for a brand new car. Whatever - I'll take Obama's money.

$4500 trade in.
$1000+ in take-off parts from the black car.
$1500 tax deduction.
$75 p/month fuel savings.

Paul.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
hehehehehehehe that's totally the car business right there... the salesman made his money on the sale...I'm suprised they went down on the msrp, i knew a honda store that was marking up their civics 1k.... the f&i guy was trying to make money on his bs service contract... good deal

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i know some car salesman are idiots but i can honestly say there are more idiotic and moron customers out there than car salesman.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
That finance manager was a jackass. It's kind of hard to lie to a guy who:

1) Has sold cars himself.
2) Has a Bachelor's degree in Finance.
3) Has been working on cars for 10 years.
4) Isn't a dumbass like the finance manager.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
usually 10-20 more stupid customers per stupid salesmen per month

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
law of averages Paul, more attempts means more success... couple hundred thousand people will get screwed on this deal.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I lied to people for a living.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
there's a lot of things that keep people up at night. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I couldn't feed my son, for example...

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I would never compromise my ethics to sell someone a product. Ever.

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work on the Sale man...I worked at a dealer last summer, and people just eat out of the finance manager's hands...its pretty pathetic. Good thing you knew what you were doing haha...my friend is cashing in on the Cash for Clunkers deal as well...he has a 1980s Lincoln Town car that he bought for 2 grand like 4 years ago haha...hes pumped for the 4500.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good deal man, those new civics are pretty nice cars and if you want to sell it in the future you'll have no problem getting top dollar for it.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good job on not getting taken. They tried to get me for gap ins. and paint finish ins. when I bought my Cobra. I just lookedat him and said nah, just give the car.

But they will get 9 out of 10 on those pitches.

switch96

Reaction score
Not planning on buying a new car anytime soon, but I'll definitely have someone there (i.e. my father) who knows how to play the game.

ARdoller

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
the salesman is only the idiot when he cant answer your questions. you become the idiot when you listen to the lies he knows he's telling you.

plus, with how bad car sales are anymore, they'll tell you anything to get you to drive something off their lot.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys are defending the lying douchebag finance manager. That makes me laugh.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
Even though Im sad to see you bought a honda of all things, that VW deisal sounded much cooler, but still you made out pretty darn good. You should have shown that finance manager a pic of your convertable and then said, I think i know a lil bit about working on cars.lol

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
BlkoutGT said:
Even though Im sad to see you bought a honda of all things, that VW deisal sounded much cooler, but still you made out pretty darn good.

Ultimately I decided against the TDI for a few reasons:
1) Dealerships weren't willing to go below invoice because of the demand, and there weren't many to choose from to begin with.
2) The TDI is significantly more expensive, with a very base model starting north of $22K. I got quite a bit of car for my money with the toaster.
3) The reliability ratings on Consumer Reports, combined with strong warnings from several people (not the least of which was my friend Alan who is a VW dealership mechanic) made me wary.

At least the body and interior of the black car (which was the nicest part) will live on to help out other Mustangs live longer.

You should have shown that finance manager a pic of your convertable and then said, I think i know a lil bit about working on cars.lol

I had nothing to prove to that retard. Actually, I have nothing to prove to anybody. I thought he was a pathetic excuse for a man sitting there across the desk from me, looking me straight in the eye, and lying through his teeth.

Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online