Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I have always preferred the sound of a Flowmaster 2-Chamber on a Mustang... just a point of preference.

Straight through mufflers have always been my preference for LS or SBC.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I also prefer deep smooth grumble at idle, smooth with no drone at cruise and a demon at WOT.

SLP is not for me. I enjoy my Bassani system that came with the car.

Always thought Flowmasters sounded great on 5.0's, just don't have alot of 4.6 4v's running them around my neck of the woods.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I have a pair of 44 on my 03 mach 1 sounds pretty good
Also have them on the rest of my cars and trucks

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Got the throttle body gasket installed yesterday, may have a lead from instagram on a stock capped throttle body. The t-bolts should finally be arriving today, and the IAC tomorrow.

Hoping to get the idle gremlins worked out this weekend. I've also pretty much decided to replace the mufflers with new stainless flows... it can only be an improvement.

joemomma

Reaction score
I had Flows on my 2v, and they sounded fantastic. Like you said, there aren't many 4v around here to compare. I just ditched them from my 5.0, they were a bit too much for me on that car....went with Borla ProXS.

joe65

Reaction score
i'm with you guys on the sound of flowmasters, but any muffler that is not stainless i avoid now. Just a thing for me. i just have issues with rusty looking exhaust. i'm using bassani now, close to flows in sound but just so much nicer in build quality. I used slps, not a huge fan, but they are ok. Used flows and magnaflow on foxes and actually liked the magnaflows more than i thought i would. Those are really nice build quality also.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Well found something that definitely wasn't helping anything and I think could possibly have effected the exhaust tone.

The car has a VMP blow through MAF setup with a newer style slot MAF. I assumed it was using the integrated IAT, but after reading through the VMP website that's only for 01+ cars, the 96-98 has to have a special harness soldered in for that. Realized the IAT has been unplugged this whole time. I've tried to research what this would do, and it seems that it causes the PCM to pull timing and puts the car in open loop with a lot of fuel as the PCM assumes the coldest temp for fueling to prevent detonation. Hoping this is a productive weekend once this is fixed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well found something that definitely wasn't helping anything and I think could possibly have effected the exhaust tone.

The car has a VMP blow through MAF setup with a newer style slot MAF. I assumed it was using the integrated IAT, but after reading through the VMP website that's only for 01+ cars, the 96-98 has to have a special harness soldered in for that. Realized the IAT has been unplugged this whole time. I've tried to research what this would do, and it seems that it causes the PCM to pull timing and puts the car in open loop with a lot of fuel as the PCM assumes the coldest temp for fueling to prevent detonation. Hoping this is a productive weekend once this is fixed.
I just can't imagine someone putting one of those in and deleting the ait. Are you sure it isn't using a fox style in the lower intake?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I just can't imagine someone putting one of those in and deleting the ait. Are you sure it isn't using a fox style in the lower intake?

The IAT wasn't deleted, the sensor is still in the cold air intake piping which had been removed before I purchase the car, the tube was in the trunk. While getting everything sorted out, I noticed the VMP coupler for the newer slot style MAF and assumed it had been wired up to use the integrated IAT.

Only recently did I realize that to utilize that function on a 96-98, you have to purchase an additional harness and solder it in. If you don't purchase the additional harness the stock IAT is still utilized. So once I trim up the silicone coupler and get the intake and filter installed I can just plug the stock IAT back in.

That being said, every time I have started the car since owning it, the IAT was unplugged. I think this is where my issues are coming from...

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
So this weekend was cold and rainy here, and when that happens it seems to kill my energy to go to the garage and work on the car. I did install the new IAC which I don't think was necessary but it was fairly cheap and it's not rusty like the stock one, so it's an improvement. I still need to trim the silicone coupler for the power pipe to Procharger. However, once that's done and the IAT is plugged back in, I'm hoping to be done with "fixing" the car. It would be nice to do style stuff and be able to drive and enjoy the car.

I did make a purchase for the garage this weekend that I can't believe I haven't done sooner...

IMG-3932.jpg

IMG-3933.jpg

It's nothing massive, but it's a start... now more setting down tools all over the garage or losing things.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
yes i have 2 now i want another. collecting tools is not a bad thing. sucks when you don't have the right tool.
I absolutely agree... I had been keeping them out on storage shelves but wanted something better. Especially for times that I may want to work on Casper in the driveway. My hope is too organize my tools tonight in the tool box, and then see how much space I have or don't have.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have that same roll around and love it. I was just using it 30 mins ago. I am not sure the next time I need a box I would go any higher up than harbor freight myself.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I have that same roll around and love it. I was just using it 30 mins ago. I am not sure the next time I need a box I would go any higher up than harbor freight myself.
$199 on sale this past weekend. I don't know that I would go higher up either, it seems very sturdy for my use, they have lots of accessories for it... and it's lockable. If I run out of space, I may get one more of the next size up.

joemomma

Reaction score
I need another box, and these look legit. I've picked up several tools over the past year or so, and have nowhere to store them. My Craftsman (meh) top/bottom chest is full. I can't find a middle box I like (there are some still floating on eBay for $100) but for an additional $100, I could have a whole additional chest.

joe65

Reaction score
hey man, just wanted to tell you that since i started following your thread here i've been watching for Cobras. I have my eye on a 2001 that i could swap all kinds of my stuff i have accumulated the past year onto. Funny tho, prices of Cobras are getting nuts now even non Terminators.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
$199 on sale this past weekend. I don't know that I would go higher up either, it seems very sturdy for my use, they have lots of accessories for it... and it's lockable. If I run out of space, I may get one more of the next size up.
the only thing I really do not like about it is if the top is closed it locks the drawers. I have moved toolboxes before to know why they do this but it annoys the hell out of me when I put some stuff on the top and then can't open a drawer.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
the only thing I really do not like about it is if the top is closed it locks the drawers. I have moved toolboxes before to know why they do this but it annoys the hell out of me when I put some stuff on the top and then can't open a drawer.

This is why you have to put so much stuff in the top that you can't close it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online