Cobalt SS: Anybody Run One?

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Truthfully, anybody run one of these things? Modded or stock guys, input wanted; a local kid has one and I want to know just how bad I'll get my doors blown off ;D

Magic

Reaction score
they run pretty well...the 2.0 supercharged ones....I saw a cpl at the track running in the mid13s-high 14s in the 1/4....

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
stock for stock, it is most likely a drivers race with a slight advatange to teh cobalt since it weighs less( or so i have been told) than a mustang does.

mike97gt

Reaction score
i had a run in with a saturn ion redline (basically the same car). i took him off the line and he caught up and started to pass me at about 130-140km/h.
damn superchargers! haha

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I never raced one in a Stang but i did race one with a SRT4 Neon... When i was selling Dodges we would take an SRT4 over to our sister dealer up the street and they would get a Cobalt SS and we would go race them in the industrial park at night :banana: Both cars were fun to beat the piss out of but the Neon was faster. I would imagine a 96-98 with minimal mods would have a hard time taking either.

OP
OP
S

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard 99+ stangs can take them, and I've seen videos to prove it, but just wondering if any of our cars have experience racing them

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
I think with some good weight reduction, sticky tires, PI intake and cams, and steep gears, i think our cars could take them...lol

Gotta be a 5 speed though.

OP
OP
S

spitfirees20

Reaction score
I think that would be overkill, stock 99+ can take them if they are stock. If we had all of those, I'm pretty sure we would murder it. Well, all I have is 3.73 gears, intake, full exhaust, and soon to be a P.I. intake manifold, but an automatic :-[ We will see I guess, the good news is that he's not that great of a driver and I have my launch down really well, so if I don't f that up I should have him for a little while at least :rollinglaugh:

S

scarface

there is alot of potential after modding starts on those cars.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
they are overrated....last time I went to the track when it was humid as hell a cobalt ss was running 15.8-16.0 all night...this was when I was running 14.7-14.8...I have smoked a bunch of them...people are actualy running 13s with a close to stock one?...hell they struggle to get 14s at my track

tooslow

Reaction score
i have a friend with one.

he has CAI, exhausts, and a spec clutch. (stage 3 i believe) but idk how their "stages" are set-up for each car type.

i'm bone stock. down to the stock rims and cheapo tires.

he would beat me by 2-3 car lengths with me taking off as if i'm at a red light and NOT poershifting. was having a hard time with traction.

i'd say a stock car with sticky tires and a good driver would be a close race. add gears, it would be a complete rapage of the cobolt.

tooslow

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
they are overrated....last time I went to the track when it was humid as hell a cobalt ss was running 15.8-16.0 all night...this was when I was running 14.7-14.8...I have smoked a bunch of them...people are actualy running 13s with a close to stock one?...hell they struggle to get 14s at my track

where at are you? the hEatons on those cars HATE humidity. on a cool dry day a pullied bolt-on SS could hit 13's. PLaces like here in LA where its always humid, i've seen them run high 14's with pullies and tuned.

Stang96

Reaction score
I just raced a yellow one the other day on the highway and i walked away on it but it did impress me though!

Passenger

Reaction score
I have a friend here in town who has a Stage 2 SS/SC with the GMPP catback. His best time to date is [email protected] on a 2.5 sixty. And we race at Bristol, which is a nice facilty, but horrible track. Slippery, high elevation, and racing uphill.

OP
OP
S

spitfirees20

Reaction score
2.5 60 ft? :hammer: I definitely think I'll take him off of the line and up for a little while

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
there is alot of potential after modding starts on those cars.

absolutely!
one of the kids i sold a SRT4 to came in and took me for a ride in his stage 3 and it was much quicker then stock. I think he said it was putting down 375whp...

I'm sure i could get a Cobalt SS into the low 14's maybe even high 13's with a week or 2 of driving...plus my local track is at sea level and has a perfect surface.

S

scarface

the same companies that make aftermarket stages for srts make them for the cobalt/reline. I know the potential on the srt first hand...I had a stg3 04 srt.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I don't know much about the ss's but i drove a redline and man that was a fun car....big o boost gauge on the stearing column and ricer lights all around :slap:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online