Compression test. Here are my results.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
I've just completed a dry compression test. Im not sure of my results tho. My future plans for the car are gt40p cylinder heads and a turbo kit.

My question; is my 90k engine healthy enough for those upgrades? Based on these results?
Cyl
1... 115
2... 109
3... 117
4... 111
5... 111
6... 108
7... 115
8... 121

Engine still ok to handle those mods?
I will perform a wet test tomorrow using a couple of drops of oil on each cylinder, all of a sudden it got to (edited) chilly (edited) outside.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What do you call getting chilly outside????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patientzero

Reaction score
Rule of thumb is you want all cylinders within 10% so you're borderline. Did you hold the throttle open while you were cranking?

OP
OP
R

Road_Runna

Reaction score
Rule of thumb is you want all cylinders within 10% so you're borderline. Did you hold the throttle open while you were cranking?

No on the throttle (gas pedal). My fuel pump fuse was taken out and distributor disconnected at the middle plug.

Like i said, throttle was kept closed, and clutch pedal was also stationary. Im going to try again, stepping this time on both clutch and gas pedals.

OP
OP
R

Road_Runna

Reaction score
2nd dry test....... 3rd WET
(throttle open) (throttle open)
1...111.......... 1...115
2...105.......... 2...120
3...105 ......... 3...120
4...114.......... 4...118
5...106 ......... 5...115
6...115........... 6...117
7...112........... 7...116
8...121 ......... 8...125

Now, im really lost! The wet test im getting within that 10%. But the dry test is where my numbers are bad.

delling3

Reaction score
What is the engine temperature? It should be warm to get good readings. If you are doing it cold, you will get low readings. Your wet test numbers do not seem to suggest an issue with the sealing of the rings to me. I would expect a larger difference between wet and dry if that were the case.

If you ran the test cold, I would suggest re-running with a warm engine.

OP
OP
R

Road_Runna

Reaction score
What is the engine temperature? It should be warm to get good readings. If you are doing it cold, you will get low readings. Your wet test numbers do not seem to suggest an issue with the sealing of the rings to me. I would expect a larger difference between wet and dry if that were the case.

If you ran the test cold, I would suggest re-running with a warm engine.

Copy that. I did check the engine while it was cold, i was actually flushing the cooling system without a thermostat before the testing.
Thanks for the reply.
Ill keep updating my status.