Cruise control problem

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
trace/follow the green wire from the servo back towards where the clutch would be. There should be a harness up there that should have a jumper in it to connect the two wires with out the clutch control relay.

This would make sense why its not working if I am reading the schematic correctly. It reads the lack of voltage on that wire as the clutch being pushed and will not turn on.

If you want to test this theory you could temporarily put voltage on that green wire at the servo and then see if it allows it to turn on

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
Yes that has a jumper in it in a plug. Looks like it was done by Ford as it has a Ford blue sticker or label on it.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
Any idea what the black boxes are behind the fuse box.? There's 4 of them but they aren't mentioned anywhere and look like relays.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
test both wires at that harness for power with the brake pedal pressed. It could be as simple as a dirty connection that isn't allowing voltage to pass. No idea on the relays.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
Ok so take the jumper wire out and test both sides of that plug. Think that's what you meant.
Strange those relay's aren't shown with the fuse box.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would leave it in and test both wires. If you do remove it then hopefully one side shows power and we just need to get it to the other side then.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok so you have power at the harness, but not at the servo. Something is not connected between them. Trace that wire and if need be replace it.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
This isn't making any sense. I got power at fuse 35 by the brake but none to that jumper, so if there's no power to that then none would get to the servo, but the brake would stop it. And there is no green wire and you can tell there never was at that harness. That green wire out of the servo goes through two other harnesses in the fender well. Have you looked at yours, just curious.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
I need to open up that fender well again to get to those other harnesses. Can get to the servo without doing that but not the rest. Everything I've had unplugged I've cleaned with contact spray. It's not as simple as this diagram shows, there's more to it in there. Also there's definitely no ABS as I've replaced the calipers, no wires to any wheels.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just to be sure there isn't power on either wire at that harness/jumper right?

There is the one connection between the two for the shift lock I think it was that we need to find and see if it has failed. In my factory manual I could look that location up, not sure how you can do it with out the manual though short of following/tracing that wire which is where you normally end up anyway.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
Yes that's correct. Just got done putting the well cover back on. Took all three of those harnesses apart and cleaned them again, the one on the servo also.
As far as the shift lock, wouldn't I know if that wasn't working? There's nothing else on this that doesn't work the way it should. What are you calling the shift lock?

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
If you're talking about pushing the brake to push the button on the shifter to take it out of park, of course that works otherwise I wouldn't be able to drive it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start at fuse 35 in the diagram and follow the line down. See where the green line splits off to the right labeled "Shift interlock/abs/bla bla bla" and the S272 next to it? That is the connection I am talking about. Now if the connection to the interlock is good, but it failed afterwards then we would have the problem we have at hand of it allowing you to put it in drive but the cruise control servo not seeing the signal so it thinks the clutch was pushed even though you do not have one. I have never laid eyes on these pieces myself and like I said if you can find where connection S272 is listed you could go there to check.

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
I'm done with this for now and not sure that would be the problem. Plus there's no green wire going to that clutch harness, it changes in the fender well through one of those harnesses in there. I've got two downed trees from the storm last sat. I have to get cut and 4 acres to mow, so this is getting put on hold.
Thanks for all your help so far but not sure about this one, I doubt if it's that. Who knows it could end up being the clock spring but I don't think so. Catch you later!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I have not found it uncommon to find some wires that colors to not match or switch from one harness to another.

Like I said if you want to test this theory cut the wire at the servo and connect the servo side to a 12v ignition wire and then go for a drive and see if it activates. Be aware that you will not be able to use the brake to turn it off you will need to hit the power off button so be sure your not testing this in traffic....

OP
OP
bigred

bigred

Reaction score
I'm back. Not going to cut a wire at the servo. And there's no green wire at the clutch plug where the jumper is. Plus there's a few wires there, wouldn't know which one to try and follow and they're all mostly covered.
What about the output sensor on the transmission even though my speedometer works fine and doesn't shit any different than when the cruise worked, just an idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online