cut last 2 cats??

97vertstang

Reaction score
i have 1 chambers with stock mid pipe but dont want to put o/r h cause it will sound like ass. so can i take 2 cats of my existing exhaust and still pass smog???remember im in cali .

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know your smog regulations but I would depend it on your last test. if you had lots of room for emmissions then you prob could. what about a hi-flow catted X?

EThorpe

Reaction score
97vertstang said:
i have 1 chambers with stock mid pipe but don't want to put o/r h cause it will sound like ass. so can i take 2 cats of my existing exhaust and still pass smog???remember I'm in cali .

You will FAIL if your smog tech knows his shit, some take a peak under the car. What you wanna do is gut the Pre-Cats and leave the cases on(yes it's a pain in the ass), if your car is lean enough you'll pass the tailpipe on a single set of cat's unless it's been tune'd and very rich.

ALITL8

Reaction score
o/r h's dont sound like ass... mine sounds pretty mean!! we dont have emission tests in OK so no one has cats around here. your best bet is to go with the high flow catted x or h pipe.

EThorpe

Reaction score
He's in Cali, he has a 80% chance of failing if remove's any of the cats period.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not sure about the emmissions in Cali, I know they're more strict.

Here in ut, they just plug into the EEC and scan for faults,
96 and new run the OBD whatever program, and the computer monitors emmission stuff.
so If you have mil eliminators, or just have the tune turn it off, it passes.

My car has no cats, sounds good, but you can smell it easily.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
here in cali only the stock cats pass. the reason im contemplating taking off the last 2 cats is because most vehicles only have 4 cats.if the smog tech looks at it he will think thats the way it came out.at leats i hop so :dunno: .oh and o/r h sounds like ass with 1 chamber mufflers. they sound nice with 2 chambers etc.. i still wouldnt want to change the whole exhaust cause i dont want to install o/r h here , because of calis laws.so i was thinking of taking off the rear 2 cats and welding something like this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8069367278&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
so what do u guys think???

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97vertstang said:
here in cali only the stock cats pass. the reason im contemplating taking off the last 2 cats is because most vehicles only have 4 cats.if the smog tech looks at it he will think thats the way it came out.at leats i hop so :dunno: .oh and o/r h sounds like ass with 1 chamber mufflers. they sound nice with 2 chambers etc.. i still wouldnt want to change the whole exhaust cause i dont want to install o/r h here , because of calis laws.so i was thinking of taking off the rear 2 cats and welding something like this..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8069367278&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
so what do u guys think???
You should check with someone from your local DMV....here in Jersey they modeled the testing after Cali and are basically the 2nd strictest state with emissions and as long as you tell them your stock cats were damaged or you have over 70,000 miles they will let new cats slide. They don't give me any crap about my bassani catted X.

Or you could have the stock cats replaced in your stock midpipe with highflow units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online