Dealer totals customers zl1

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Stole from svtp.... funniest comment yet was " the guy did him a favor"

Summary, employ enters dealership while it's closed, steals a customers car for a joy ride and totals it. The dealership's latest offer was a similar car but with unwanted options, prior damaged, and higher mileage.

RIP 2012 ZL1 #1635 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

OP's start of his first post: On Sunday, December 15, 2013, my prized 2012 Camaro ZL1 took its last breath at 4:47 pm. The car was at the dealer in Georgetown, DE for paint issues (under warranty). It had been locked in the service bay over the weekend. On Sunday afternoon, an employee of the dealership (service writer) entered the locked building, removed the keys to my car from the service department, and went on a joyride. The car was totaled when he lost control and sheared off a telephone pole.

Most recent update:

RIP 2012 ZL1 #1635 UPDATE 1/8/2014 The latest in the saga of the totaled ZL1 #1635...
The dealer was supposed to be finding me a 2013 ZL1 new. They agreed (or so I thought) that it would be for the best since buying a used one (yes, ME BUYING from them) could only lead to problems down the road.

I have been patient. I finally got a call on Monday (1/6) to come over to look at the car they "found" for me. They were sure I would be pleased. Imagine my surprise when the car they "found" turned out to be a trade-in on a new Stingray. The car was a 2012 ZL1, black like mine, but with a sunroof (which I do not want), 34% more miles than mine, new tires (why did it need new tires at 13,588 miles?), different wheels than mine, non-Chevrolet emblems front and back, and tinted windows. Also absolutely NO documentation on the car, even though I was told the car had more documentation than mine.

I was not even told the mileage on the car until I went out and sat in it for myself. Amazing that we had to go over all the figures first. And yes, I was to buy this car from them. They did offer $4K "feel good" (their words, not mine) money to buy the correct emblems and rims. However, nothing was mentioned about a lower price for the higher mileage.

My wife and I just were not that happy with the car. We offered a counter-offer and let the dealership for them to discuss our proposal.

When we got home last night, we discovered through this forum (thanks, guys) that the car was a TWO owner car, not a one-owner car like we were told. We also found out that the car was hit 3 days after the original owner purchased the car. WE paid $55 for a CarFax report--the dealer didn't even offer that for us. They did have some other report, but it wasn't a CarFax.
So they were basically trying to SELL us a 2-owner vehicle that had previous body damage, along with tinted windows, incorrect emblems, more mileage, the apparent need for new tires, and heaven only knows what else.

They called today to tell us that their original offer to buy THAT car from them was ALL they were going to (or willing to) offer. Take it or leave it. We really did not want a twice-used car with no documentation and do not feel it was a reasonable replacement for our show-winning, pristine, fully documented car with much less mileage.

So folks, almost a month later, I am still making payments on a car I do not have, and certainly cannot drive. And the dealer is unwilling to step up and "do the right thing."

I have retained an attorney, but really, why should I have to pay attorney fees when I am the innocent party in all of this. I did not ask for my car to be stolen by a dealer's employee.

The dealer is upset about the negative press they have received, yet they seem unwilling to do anything to remedy the situation. I guess they will get what they deserve, even if I do not get what I fully deserve (my car replaced at no expense to me).

If this hadn't actually happened to me, I don't think I would have believed it.
The story has now been covered in the local newspaper (Cape Gazette), the local news station (WBOC), and a Philadelphia station (NBC10). Simply amazing...

It's also been posted here: http://www.lsxtv.com/news/dealer-wrecks-customers-2012-zl1-camaro/
and here: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/01/dealer-wrecks-customer-owned-camaro-zl1-accident-watch/

The dealership:

First State Chevrolet - Georgetown Chevrolet, Millsboro Chevrolet, Seaford Chevrolet, Delaware Chevrolet

ALREADY DELETED: https://www.facebook.com/firststatechevrolet

https://twitter.com/1ststatechevy

http://instagram.com/1ststatechevy

https://plus.google.com/104918506907097870137/about?gl=us&hl=en

Contacts:
Sales: (800) 646-4158
Text Msg.: (302) 265-8099
Service: (877) 336-0994
Parts: (800) 646-4158

Anyone bored tomorrow, have at it. I think this dealership it about to learn what happens when you piss off the internet. :mj:

The D3V

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Hate that car. But holy hell I'd be all over the dealership for that. Not familiar with legal shit but can't they she them at this point? Get enough money to pay legal fees and buy 2 cars like his wrecked one...

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Poor ZL1.

Hopefully it wasn't a red one. Those look killer lol.

TanTop94

Reaction score
I heard about this alittle bit ago, still can't believe they would do that to them.

Silver35th

Reaction score
I'd definitely pursue legal action on those bastards. No matter if its a Chevy or not, they did wrong and should fix it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Horse shit I'd be killing someone And how does one hate corvettes ?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow what a pathetic dealership.

Would the dealership not have some sort of insurance and just pay them for the car?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love how everyone is getting mad at the dealership and disregarding the employee who trespassed into the lot while it was closed, stole the keys from the service area, stole the customers car, and proceeded to total it. If you think that the dealership is to blame, you should probably read up on the story.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The dealership is responsible for their employees, the car was on their property in their care.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The dealership is responsible for their employees, the car was on their property in their care.

So if someone breaks into your garage and steals your car, I guess that's your fault and you should get in trouble, not the person who broke in. :nono:

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So if someone breaks into your garage and steals your car, I guess that's your fault and you should get in trouble, not the person who broke in. :nono:
No, but if the dealer isn't responsible why are they offering a solution?

I believe there's laws that if employees do damages they can't be charged for the cost. Im not sure if those laws translate to after hours.