Dragon Slayer - 1995 Mustang GT Build Thread - Now With 100 Percent More IRS

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
That's nice man. My friends shop where I work on my car is 30x80x16, the back 30x30 is gonna be enclosed living quarters but he hasn't finished it out yet. I hope to do something like that when I move outta my place one day.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Got the temporary exhaust welded up. We're going to just dump it in front of the axle for now since the whole thing will eventually be re-done when the bigger engine goes in. For now it's just a 2.5" ball/socket adapter, a 12" Dynomax Race Bullet, and a slightly modified turn down for each side. Anyway, pics below:

Trick for holding together two pieces of pipe when butt welding them is to buy a T-bolt clamp, drill four holes (two on one side and two on the other) a short distance from each other and then cut out the extra metal in the middle. You can then clamp the crap out of it and tack the pieces together through the newly created hole before removing the clamp to finish welding:

NCM_0847_zpslcpqjzrh.jpg

Ignore the weld on the one lol, was still arguing with it about grounding at this point:

NCM_0848_zps4nqmgpdj.jpg

NCM_0849_zpshwqv2cok.jpg

The completed pair:

NCM_0850_zpsurd4tw5l.jpg

This thing is going to be stupidly loud...:
NCM_0851_zpsg5mndcci.jpg

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Finally got my shop mostly finished (just have a little painting to do and to run the air lines to the new compressor) so we installed the new exhaust. Wound up that the exhaust as pictured above was a little too short to reach the hangers in the back so I made some extensions out of two 6" piece of flex pipe (for a little extra clearance and to isolate things a bit more) and a ball and socket flange kit from Flowmaster. Now the exhaust tucks up out of the way really well and we were able to use the rear hangers. Had to cut ~3.5" out of the driver's side exhaust from above those as Ford, in their infinite wisdom, made the mid pipe slightly longer on that side than the passenger side for some reason. Will get some pictures and sound clips the next time he brings it over, ran out of time before I had to go to work today though. That said, we did throw it on my new set of Longacre scales to see how much it weighed and it's currently down to 3193 pounds.

Look for things to get more interesting and that IRS assembly to get put to use shortly after the first of December...

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Did a little parts ordering a little while ago...:

MM_zpsyrddflvd.png

Just need to get the sway bars ordered and wait for MM to get the rear shocks back in stock and the IRS will be ready to be tore down/upgraded and then installed.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
On an un-related note, everything is up and functional in my new shop, just have a little cleaning and sorting to do with the toolboxes.

IMG_20151116_164441942_zps5hykqo7h.jpg

IMG_20151116_164423092_zpsoa3xrzmg.jpg

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Looks like a couple things were on backorder but should be shipped out next week. That's the good news. The bad news is that the MM2 IRS rear shocks won't be off back order for 4-5 more weeks. :(

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Still waiting on parts to come off backorder (only waiting on the diff cover now) from MM. Hopefully they get here by the end of January lol, I've got 9 days off work I was planning on getting the IRS in and swap the suspension on my truck...

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
More importantly, and for my future reference, here are some 2016 GT350 part numbers:

Left Front Caliper: FR3Z-2B120G
Right Front Caliper: FR3Z-2B120F
Left Front Rotor: FR3Z-1125-F
Right Front Rotor: FR3Z-1125-E

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Diff cover is supposed to finally be done being machined on Tuesday so everything should get shipped out Tuesday or Wednesday. Still waiting on the rear shocks to come back in stock.

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
Sounds like you are putting alot of time and money in this car im Building a 1994 5.0 right now

Yeah, it was my friend's first car and since we live very near to the Dragon he wants something that can handle that and still go out and do some half mile stuff when we're done. Will be a nearly $50k $3,000 car when we're done. :shocked:

OP
OP
nitroram33

nitroram33

Reaction score
I missed the GT350 brake post...thinking of doing some retrofit brakes?
Oh, it's happening lol, and for significantly cheaper than '13-'14 GT500s were going to run. Yay for my dad working at a Ford dealership lol... Can get GT350 Brembos for under $300 per side WITH the core charge versus $400 for the GT500s and you get a stuffer one-piece radial mount caliper at the same time. Then the rotors are about $100 more per side for the GT350 two-piece factory rotors at $250 each, but that's still $900 cheaper than a set of '13-'14 two piece rotors from Full Tilt Boogie and the GT350s are actually .5" bigger (though the are a little heavier).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online