Elrod's 5.0 Revival

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
It’s possibly a port issue. Each of your USB’s have a specific port number and when using a usb to serial most softwares need to know which port it is.

Anything after that I’m of no help. I hate windows 10 and refuse to use it. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m of no help to myself at any point in this lol. And agreed Windows 10 can suck it.

Also I tried the adapter cable in all 3 ports. Same story each time.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just a question, but did you download the drivers for your cable? I don’t recall having an issue getting my micro set up.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m gonna say no, don’t remember doing that. And honestly don’t know what to do either.
If I’m remembering correctly, when I plugged my cable in to the computer a little pop up asked me if I wanted to download the drivers. Or, I think there might be a way to get them off DiyAutoTune’s website.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Try this with a friends laptop perhaps? Buy a cheap, windows tablet for this?

Gonna try a different laptop as soon as I can. I just bought the laptop I have now specifically for this.

try a new serial to usb converter as well.

I have. The first two I tried used a prolific chipset, this last one uses an FTDI chip. Still no progress.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
UPDATE: IT’S ALIVE!!!

but first, let me recap on what I discovered to get to this point.

After a long year of working on getting my house built all of 2020, I was finally able to start dedicating some time to the car again around November/December. With some help and input from @white95 I started checking my wiring and realized that I had two pins in my ecu harness that supplied 12v power that were absent. At that point I realized my problem: way back when I had the harness out of the car, I decided to remove some unnecessary plugs and wiring such as all of the a/c related stuff and all of the smog related solenoids in the passenger fender well. I didn’t know any better at the time and accidentally took the 12v power wire completely out instead of just isolating it from the unused connectors and leaving it connected at the ecu plug. I was able to go pull an intact harness from the junkyard here and replace my harness I had messed up and that solved my problems of no power to the fuel pump, ecu, injectors etc.
I had to jump a few hurdles along the way including replacing my tank with a new one (due to a bunch of trash in the bottom of my original tank), a starter solenoid getting hot and sticking open, fuel lines being hooked up backwards and lots of little trivial things. Last night was the first time I got it to fire and hit but I spent most of the night trying to fix all of the little things that were popping up. So once all of that was addressed we started fresh this morning and after a little more tail chasing we finally were able to fire it up!!

I have not yet set the timing, I just picked up a timing light this evening and plan on starting with that tomorrow and we’ll go from there. I’m just glad to be able to say that the new engine has finally breathed some life!! It’s a major relief to say the least. I’ll keep this updated now that I’m finally back to making some progress again!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
seems like this would be the time someone would request a smokey burn out video :) but I am just happy to hear its headed the right directly again. I know that feeling when you finally start taking steps forward...

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I've opened this thread a dozen times over the past week and every time I think I'm ready to update I don't even know where to get started....
It's been 7 years since I drove my car down to a friend's shop and dove right into the teardown thinking in a couple months time I would be cruising again.
So for a quick rundown to bring us to where we are now, here goes:

I basically lost all interest in the car for months on end. It seemed like every time I did get the motivation to do something with it, some problem presented itself that kept me from moving forward and the cycle would repeat. Back in July Will drove up for a weekend and we spent a Saturday working on it and fought a weird pop thru the exhaust all day that we never could figure out. We decided to try and swap distributors, which I had to order, so that was the end of the road for that weekend. We decided we would try and regroup at some other time. Will headed home that Sunday, I picked up the distributor Monday and swapped it that night. The next day another buddy stopped by and we tried to start the car and could never get it to fire up. At that point I was about as mentally done with the car as I had ever been and just moved on from it again and began to focus back on some other projects that had become my bigger priority.

During those months I kept going back and forth on buying a Holley efi kit and parting ways with the MicroSquirt. I had several friends local that all had good luck with them and a few had installed multiple kits by this time so I just kept thinking that it may be better for me in the end. I also had been telling myself that if I was ever gonna do it that I should do it sooner than later in case prices went up or availability went away or anything else. So in November I took a big leap of faith and bought a Holley Terminator X kit along with a plug-and-play adapter kit from MFKustoms that I had been keeping an eye on and researching for a while. So finally back on December 12th I had a couple friends come over and one brought his laptop and was able to spend some time that evening and got the initial settings configured, got the car fired up and running and made good progress on it until we reached a stopping point for that day and decided that after the Holidays we would get together again and try to do a little more work to it. When we left off that day we still had some sensor scaling to do and a little work needed on the idle configuration to get rid of a surge.

In the meantime I told myself that this time period was gonna be for me to tie up all the little loose ends I had left out and to finally knock out a few low priority tasks that I had given myself for the car. One of those tasks was to trim out my door panels to fit a set of Mach 460 tweeter pods I had picked up from the wrecking yard at some point over the years. So after pulling the door panels and modding them to fit the speakers, I decided I didn't like the fact that none of my interior matched my dash that I had repainted before I swapped it. That decision led to a complete interior overhaul, which honestly was very much needed, but I had pretty much talked myself out of doing it due to the extreme lack of interest I had developed in the car. Back when I had the harness bar and stuff in the car, most of the tabs on the rear interior trim had all broken when I pulled them out. I had also ditched the stock seat belts at that time because they were so worn out and sun-faded that they just looked terrible, I mean they were more blue than black from the car sitting unprotected for so many years before I bought it. I sold the harness bar and harness a couple years ago so I had to put seat belts back in at some point, I just dreaded pulling my interior back apart plus doing the same thing to a wrecked car. I knew there was a car at my local wrecking yard with a mint all black interior, so I went and snagged the carpet, all 4 seat belts, rear head rest, rear interior trim etc. pretty much everything except for the seats console and dash.

So currently, the car sits in the shop with all of the interior out except for the dash and headliner. It is back on all 4, and I actually washed it one day last week for the first time in 7 years!! I have cleaned and painted most of the interior trim using SEM Landau black interior paint, still have a couple pieces left to paint. All of the seat belts have been washed and scrubbed clean, I started cleaning the carpet lastnight and still have a little way to go on it before I'm satisfied and ready to throw it back in the car. But I know I'll be proud of the car once again after having a nice fresh looking interior.

I will continue to update this as more progress is made and will be popping back in after this post to add some recent pictures. I'm trying to get back in the groove of navigating this forum and posting after being away for so long. It's funny looking back and seeing how much I loved posting here and staying involved in what was going on, but really shows how much that passion goes away when the thing you loved turns into something you don't even wanna look at. I may have lost interest but I can say that there has never been one single time that I ever thought about parting ways with my car. I'm in this for the long haul. 7 years is longer than I ever dreamed I would go without driving my car, but looking back I have accomplished a lot of other things in that time that honestly were a little more important. I may touch on some of my other projects in another thread soon, we'll see.

If you've read this far I thank you. Leave some feedback or tell me to GTFU and get to work on the damn thing already lol.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
GTFU and GTF Work on your car!

Wait,...maybe I should practice what im preaching. Im beginning to smell my own chit! My car too has been sitting for awhile as priorities have owned me. Family, new jobs, and running a business sets no additional time for the car. Although I can not say that I havent completely abandoned the car and the direction im striving for it. Ive done a few things engine wise that took time to purchase the tooling and perform the tasks. Like larger valves for the heads im going with and I built tooling for the mill to hold the heads so that i could write a cnc program and mill the ports of npi heads consistently. And there is the aluminium rods I made for my engine build that turned out to be a flop due to my inadequate machining capabilities, but they can be salvaged. I just need to revisit and spend some time with them.........AAWWWW......their it is.....TIME! Our very worse enemy!

But all in all time will become in our favor one day and we will be able to enjoy our cars. You hang in their and dont give up on your car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online