Extremely hot positive and negative battery wires

Thepope12

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum. But I own a 95 and recently put a new battery in it after having it parked for a few weeks. But my problem is after the new battery was installed. Both the positive and negative terminals sparked and both wires got extremely hot and toasted my alternator I hooked the battery up correctly. So what could cause the wires to get this hot?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well the short answer is something is/was shorted. There isn't any chance that it was hooked up backwards was there?

OP
OP
T

Thepope12

Reaction score
No, after I hooked up up the wires got extremely hot and melted spots on both terminals. So I replaced with my old battery and hooked jumper cables up(correctly) to make sure I didn’t ruin anything and my alternator got toasted and smoked like crazy....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its possible that there was a short in the alt since it does have 12v constant going to it with a heavy gauge wire. What were the problems it was having to lead you to replace the battery? The only time I have ever seen 8-4 awg wires heat up enough to melt the insulation off was when a set of jumper cables was slapped on backwards. It was obvious to me something was wrong with how bad the cables were sparking when they tried to attach them, but they didn't seem to think so.

I would have to think that there was a problem with the alt, or I have seen where batteries have the terminals swapped to go into different vehicles. Since the alt is smoked take it apart and see where the smoke was coming from.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As odd as it sounds I always test polarity on batteries before dropping new ones in.

I once watched a car go all cheech and chong on a guy. Battery was installed correctly, somehow the terminals were wrong.

Not sure how it happens but it was enough to freak me out!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You make the "all cheech and chong" thing sound like a bad thing?

When it’s coming from under your hood it’s very bad!!!

When it’s coming from me, that’s a different story!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online