Fastest N/A SN95 Vert on the PLANET!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TRUUBLE, May 23, 2007.

1. Dalamar

Dalamar Post Whore Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

that's BC termy's are fat pigs.

2. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-

Verts are even fatter pigs . . . usually. 8)

3. trav_19

trav_19 Legend

verts are like a 100 extra pounds you can shave that off in a rear seat delete whats your weight??

4. Hellion94

Hellion94 Well-Known Member

Actually Trubble, a Big tire, Heads Up car with a powerglide, at least one that's competitive, is VERY rare. The most common setup I've seen is a Lenco or a Liberty 5 speed. I could show you literally hundreds of cars that run either one of those trannys, and probably about 5 that run 'glides. In the last 5 years there have been 2 competitive Pro 5.0 cars to use a Powerglide : Joe Morgan and Derrick Smith.

Trav- The difference is this. With an auto, you have a converter, and a shifter cable. This means that A. you can leave of a transbrake, B. You make make the motions for the shift, or engage the next notch on the shifter yourself, but the tranny is still doing the shifting. That' whay it's still an automatic transmission, it's just one with a manual valvebody, meaning it won't shift the gears all by itself. With a clutchless manual, you launch with a clutch, just like you would in a street car, and the shiter is connected to the gears via a mechanical linkage, just like a normal manual. This means when you change the gears, you are actually disengaging and engaging the next gear yourself, no middle man. The other difference is that with a torque converter, there is slippage, meaning that the drivetrain is never 100% engaged, the converter is slipping a small amount all the way down the track. With a manual tranny, the clutch engages 100%, meaning (ideally) no slippage.

You can combine these two types of tranny's though. Bruno makes a kit that mates a Lenco Manual trans with a torque converter, this mean quicker shifts and the durability of a Lenco, plus the consistency of a torque converter. Donny Walsh (NMRA Pro 5.0 racer) has run one of these combos for YEARS.

And trubble, I'm trying to find one that's faster. Like everyone else has said, I know of much faster vert SN's, but none are N/A

5. Hellion94

Here's proof. This is video from the Street Car Super Nationals, held by the PSCA in Las Vegas last year, out of the 32 cars qualified, there are 4 cars with a Powerglide: Mary Baltzell (Firebird with checkers on the side, Nitrous car), Dave Matson (white '68 Camaro with black stripes), Guiseppe Gentile ('02 Mustang, black with blue flames) and Brian Lane (55 chevy with primer front end) with the highest qualifier being Guiseppe at #18. Everyone else is running some form of manual--Lenco, Liberty, Lenco/Bruno, or something else.

Here are all the videos:

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-qual2.html

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-qual3.html

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-qual3.html

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-elims1.html

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-elims2.html

http://www.dragracingtv.com/scsn2006/pro-mod-videos-scsn06-pro-street-elims3.html

Here are some pictures of fast, Heads Up cars that run 5 speeds:

[​IMG]

Glidden runs one

[​IMG]

So does Randy Eakins

[​IMG]

Burt Kelkboom runs an air-shifted 5 speed:

[​IMG]

Chuck Samuels runs a Lenco:

[​IMG]

6. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-

Yeah . . I'm deprived. I don't get to too many PSCA races. All I get to see is the Supergas and Supercomp cars, most of which run glides.

7. trav_19

trav_19 Legend

what fun are those cars anyway after ever pass you have to tear them down and crap sounds like the hobby/fun is all gone

8. Paul

Paul Legend

I think going 200mph in 6 seconds makes up for it.

9. trav_19

trav_19 Legend

lol i dont too fast and its over lol 10seconds i feel is fast enough for me ..then it gets to expensive and quits becoming a fun weekend hobby and more like a job...no thanks not my cup of tea

10. Paul

Paul Legend

Remember, for some of these guys - it is their job.

11. trav_19

trav_19 Legend

true...but its not my job just a hobby so i dont need all that

12. 94pacecar435

94pacecar435 Member

that time slip was way off :hammer:

13. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

His 60ft was faster than his r/t :hammer:

14. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

^^^I don't know what you are talking about, that slip is completely real. ;)

15. Hellion94

Sorry If I came off as a douche there, I was just trying to back up my point with evidence. Most of the cars that are built for consistency will all run auto's. And most cars that don't run on 34x17" slicks will also run autos, even the heads up cars.

16. Paul

Paul Legend

I have the fastest Windsor-Swapped, Billet-Smog-Pump-Pulleyed, Naturally Aspirated, SN95 Convertible Streetcar on the planet. :)

Paul.

17. trav_19

trav_19 Legend

this thread is boring

18. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

Yea but do you have halos?

19. Paul

Paul Legend

Only the one on my head. :angel:

20. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-