FivepointSlow's 4.6 Build

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Gave the stang some more much needed loving today. Focused on glass cleaning and all the painted surfaces that aren't on the immediate exterior ie door jams, trunk, etc.
Photos speak for themselves and are in order of before and after
Wj8DCQF.jpg

8Ki3kY1.jpg

XQGXNeQ.jpg

FZnpZIj.jpg

B1YXqd6.jpg

l898jwM.jpg

cTIe893.jpg

Who woulda thought that air filter is actually white... not me...
JeFHWsl.jpg

FEDqlAd.jpg

Replaced my wiper blades, normally wouldn't bother mentioning but the fact that they are a size too small was amusing, how hard is it to look up and purchase the right size??
Ok9qywW.jpg

While driving around today I kept catching myself speeding... like alot, then I couldn't help but feel like I was going way slower than the speedo said. Come to find out...
uwdaZPg.jpg

7l2VlJo.jpg

So I guess a speedo calibration tool goes on the parts list..

In other news I have an odometer gear kit in route to fix the broken odometer.

Also wanted to share how hilarious this temp tag looks..
IoqBwWQ.jpg

If you squint really hard I promise there...

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Went out today for a little cruise in the mountains with an old friend that I actually sold parts from the old 94 to way back when. He is still rocking the sequential harness' from my 94.
Here are 12 of my favorite pics from today... I took 101 total and uploaded them to my imgur in an album that can be found here https://imgur.com/a/yKLZkvk
Enjoy :)
KixsIZa.jpg

0eQCDzf.jpg

7ubv0Kg.jpg

SQ86Tap.jpg

SkRYwlb.jpg

hplOotX.jpg

IWZyLjY.jpg

L3iXn7Z.jpg

i27NzlV.jpg

cI4akgr.jpg

4NgpaNy.jpg

eWegd57.jpg

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Does the speedo read correctly now?
No, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same.
It looks like its wired into my cigarette lighter, which probably means its receiving constant power... I believe the speedcal needs to power cycle to realize the switches changed so I'll have to disconnect the battery to see whether or not it changes... but I'm going to wait til I go through emissions before I do that so I dont have to worry about driving another 200 miles before that. I think I'm right at 200 but it's hard to tell because the odometer doesnt work... so after another couple days I'll run it through emissions and hope everything is "ready"

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Awesome to see that car around again and in good hands. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

07GtS197

Reaction score
It looks like its wired into my cigarette lighter, which probably means its receiving constant power... I believe the speedcal needs to power cycle to realize the switches changed so I'll have to disconnect the battery to see whether or not it changes... but I'm going to wait til I go through emissions before I do that so I dont have to worry about driving another 200 miles before that. I think I'm right at 200 but it's hard to tell because the odometer doesnt work... so after another couple days I'll run it through emissions and hope everything is "ready"
Somehow I didnt see your post about it until now... mine is wired the same way. Im not sure whats up but you’d think it would change right away but what do I know.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe this car wasn't parted.
People went nuts when he did the "cinnamon" interior. Thats what all the euro cars were swapping to back then.
A lot of forum history in that car.

hottwheels04

Reaction score

Glad to see you got another mustang! Just wish i got to see your 5.0 finished I always wanted to see the outcome after I sold you the parts for your old car! I remember your new car when the old owner had it! glad to see its local! hope to see yours out this summer!

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Im not sure whats up but you’d think it would change right away but what do I know.
Yea it is weird for sure... I passed emissions yesterday so today I unhooked my battery and took some time to undo some more sketchy wiring, removed the sub/amp power wire that was run between the apron and the fender >.<
Hooked it back up and it seems to have updated but is still not accurate.. but it is closer.
Previously when my speedo said 55 I was doing about 47
Currently when my speedo says 55 I am doing about 50
So definitely a little more tolerable but not to my standards lol. I am not sure how far off these speedometers are from factory tho so I could be within 1 or 2 mph from stock

I can't believe this car wasn't parted.
Yea me too. It has alot to do with the lack of knowledge from the previous owners and the car being tossed back and forth between 2 brothers and their kids. It was neglected and abused rather than taken care of and parted out. The kid could have gotten 3 or 4 times the money if he parted out even some of the car.. but oh well my gain now.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I ordered a gear replacement kit for my odometer and it finally came in yesterday. Popped the cluster out and went to work on it tonight.

The old gear was definitely the problem...
2J6iEg7.jpg

After throwing the new gears in I tested the cluster to see if it works.

Odometer worked perfectly, but the trip wasnt working.. weird...

I took it back out and poked around and realized the bezel is from a New Edge and the reset button was too long and was pushing the clusters reset button down enough to act like I was just holding the button down all the time, so the gears for it could not engage to rotate the assembly.
hPHObV9.jpg
lu7MMxi.jpg

I got creative and decided to modify the clusters side of the reset button, as the bezel has a spring in it and wasnt sure how much of that I could trim before the spring just fell out of it. So I got to work.

I removed the odometer assembly via 3 screws
uYjdXtn.jpg

I didn't want to use a dremel incase I cut too much, so I grabbed a BIC lighter and heated up a box cutter and cut enough plastic around the nipple to allow the base of the reset button to push in without hitting the blue plastic
azmHnrL.jpg

2I1SSNJ.jpg

Then I snipped off the nipple which is about the the same length that the newer bezel sticks out, so now when its all assembled the base of the button will rest on this, and not actively push it in.
HV0Deup.jpg

I threw the assembly back onto the cluster
OoVwKkd.jpg

And then test fit the bezel, and had to dissassemble again to remove a bit more blue plastic
lBpjyMG.jpg

And of course I trimmed a bit too much of the nipple off so I placed a small piece of 3m tape to space it back out a bit
5wtbZCn.jpg

Now I have a working trip and functional reset button!
JddcAV2.jpg

tzjwhQ9.jpg

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Glad to see you got another mustang! Just wish i got to see your 5.0 finished I always wanted to see the outcome after I sold you the parts for your old car! I remember your new car when the old owner had it! glad to see its local! hope to see yours out this summer!
Trust me I wanted to see the 5.0 finished too... I still have that camshaft I bought off you, it makes for a great wall piece now. LOL

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
You know how I passed emissions just 3 days ago?
Well I just popped a CEL today.. the timing couldn't have been better lol
Code P1443, indicates a blockage in the evap canister valve. I had the same code and had to replace the same valve on the 94. I think it was about $50.
I noticed it idles a tad rough but nothing terrible. I'll probably replace it next week.
Also noticed a progressively worse rattling, at first I couldn't hear it from inside the car but people outside could hear it as I drive away, now I can hear it from inside. I'm thinking a heat shield or something. Hopefully not a cat. I'll investigate when i change the oil and flush the power steering fluid next weekend.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Changed the oil and flushed the power steering fluid last weekend. The power steering pump is nice and quiet now. But there us an alarming amount of built up garbage all over it, I'm gonna get under there on my day off and clean it down, hopefully it's not leaking. But since owning it I haven't noticed any fluids under it when parked.

All in all it's running great. The serpentine belt is about to shred itself apart so I have one on stand by, just haven't had the time to throw it on.
The batter hold down bolt is rusted and stuck.. for some reason someone put it in without the battery so my battery is sitting ontop of the hold down...
Also want to flush the brake fluid but I think I'll wait til I'm done driving it and do that over the winter.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dude just now seeing this thread. SO happy to see you breathing new life into this thing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online