Fox Valve Covers I Made for QCmustang94 - Nicest Ever *PICS*

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
QCmustang94 sent me a PM and asked me if I'd make up a set of my fox valve covers, powdercoat them, and send them all the way to Canada. I haven't done a set in a while (and now I remember why) but I figured our Canadian brothers need some cool stuff to. :tongue3: If you guys aren't familiar with the valve covers I make and sell, check out this thread: http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,39131.0.html

I had a set of NOS (New Old Stock) fox valve covers laying the garage, with the cork gaskets still glued to them from the factory. I scored these from a friend of mine for $25. I haven't seen a set of new old stock ones... ever. They were dirty, but judging by how clean the gaskets were, and the lack of any oil stains inside the covers, they hadn't been on a car before.

I'm really anal about the prep on stuff I powdercoat, and my chief complaint with all the sets I've done in the past is that the tiny "lip" on the stock fox covers makes it very difficult to get a nice smooth finish in the small areas between those fins. You can see in this picture of some I've done in the past what I'm talking about.

Valve%20Covers%20Sanded%202.JPG

I decided to try something a little different this time. I took a long look and contemplated what I was going to do, then picked and my big ol' angle grinder and went to town. :confused1:

I ground those fins clean off very carefully. The problem with using the angle grinder is it will tear through these valve covers in a hurry, so a little slip up would pretty much mean I had trashed that cover, and would need to start over again. Luckily, I didn't screw any of them up. :grin: So that, combined with 5 hours of sanding (which is why I don't do these very much) and I was able to get the finish I wanted. I like them much better without the little lip on them, and the transition between the top of the cover and the side is much nicer. I'm actually kind of jealous now, and want to do a set like this for my notch motor, and swap them out. However, I don't have much motivation to do this again anytime soon.

Anyway, here's the stock covers:
Valve+Covers+Stock.JPG

Here's after the first four hours of sanding with 60 grit. This first part takes forever. The rest of it isn't so bad. It just takes a really long to sand off all the horrible pitting and casting flash to get here. You can see in the second pic that the lips are gone.
Valve+Covers+60+Grit.JPG

Valve+Covers+60+Grit+Close.JPG

I believe this is a close-up of 100 grit.
Valve+Covers+100+Grit+Close.JPG

Here's 150 grit.
Valve+Covers+150+Grit+Close.JPG

Here's 220 grit. The sanding is done at this point.
Valve+Covers+220+Grit.JPG

Valve+Covers+220+Grit+Close.JPG

Here's the aftermath. This takes a retarded amount of sandpaper and sanding discs.
Valve+Covers+Aftermath+1.JPG

Valve+Covers+Aftermath+2.JPG

Here they are fresh out of the blast cabinet.
Valve+Covers+Blasted.JPG

Valve+Covers+Blasted+2.JPG

Valve+Covers+Blasted+3.JPG

Here they are right before they go in the oven, covered in Gunmetal Gray powder. (which is the most popular color everyone requests, and what my notch motor is done in)
Valve+Covers+Powdered+2.JPG

Valve+Covers+Powdered+1.JPG

Here they are completed. They just came out of the oven a few minutes ago, and are actually still cooling down. There is an imperfection in one, it appears that something "boiled out" and there's a slight outline that looks like a "run" in one of them. That's really irritating and one of the downfalls of powdercoating cast aluminum stuff, any contaminant that is contained in the casting can eventually "boil out" and show in the coating. Luckily though, it is small and won't really be noticeable when they're on the car. Overall, these are definitely the nicest ones I've ever made.
Valve+Covers+Done+1.JPG

Valve+Covers+Done+2.JPG

Valve+Covers+Done+3.JPG

Valve+Covers+Done+4.JPG

Valve+Covers+Done+5.JPG

Now I need to get these bubble-wrapped and boxed up to send off to Canada tomorrow.

Paul.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Those look really good man. I got half a mind to send you my valve covers/intake and have you do them.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I use a Porter Cable vibrating sand, angle grinder, and an assortment of die grinders. There's no way you could sand these by hand. Well, maybe you could - but it would take six weeks. :tongue3:

Paul.

1bad95

Reaction score
looks great! I am def gonna have to get a set soon!

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I think if I sell anymore of them, I'm going to raise my price. It's just not worth it for me. It costs me about $20 in sandpaper, $30-35 to ship them, $10-30 to get the valve covers themselves, and this last set took about 7 hours from start to finish. Once I factor in all the money it cost to buy the equipment, run the compressor and the oven, buy the powder, etc... I'm losing money, and that's if I don't pay myself a penny for all this work.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Especially considering my "real job" pays me over $45 per hour. :tard:

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
At least we don't have to pay extra to get metal valve covers. :tongue3:

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Man, that's a great job on those. I had to go to Fox valve covers too, because stock ones did not clear the 1.7 roockers... and then I had to modify the oil filler because fox valve covers point it right in the path of the throttle body on the SN95.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
all that and its still a set of stock valve covers.......ehhh Id rather just get comp covers and be done with it. But thats just me.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Lightning Struck said:
all that and its still a set of stock valve covers.......ehhh Id rather just get comp covers and be done with it. But thats just me.

Yes, but you're a checkbook racer. Some folks would prefer something that isn't available in off-the-shelf form. It's funny that you defend "uniqueness" with your pickup truck, but then you'd prefer to buy a set of boring, ugly valve covers that everyone else has. LOL :rolleyes:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
they are still stock....thats my point. Thats a LOT of work to put into a candy coating on a set of stock valve covers. Why not just buy a nice set and save all that time? But if thats what guys want then go for it, they look good but it be easier to buy a set aftermarket.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Paul said:
they are still stock....thats my point. Thats a LOT of work to put into a candy coating on a set of stock valve covers.

I agree. Way too much work, in fact.

Why not just buy a nice set and save all that time?

A number of reasons:
- Most aftermarket valve covers are tall, which causes all kinds of intake fitment/spacer/EGR/hood clearance issues. Stock fox don't.
- Stock SN95 5.0 are ugly stamped steel. Fox are aluminum.
- Stock valve covers seal well, and have OEM fit, unlike some crappy aftermarkets.
- Because there are only a half-dozen sets of these in the world, so you won't see anything like them. I've seen lots of folks paint and powdercoat stock fox covers before, but they never look like mine. :grin:

But if thats what guys want then go for it, they look good but it be easier to buy a set aftermarket.

For him, it's no easier to buy these vs a set of aftermarket. He writes the check, they come in the mail.

For ME, it's a pain in the a*s. LOL :tongue3:

Paul.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the demand is there and the guys are willing to pay for them, im sure you dont mind making the money off them. Stock or not, if they sell they sell. Lol

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not making any money. This is a total loser for me - just something I do because I like to see what I can do. It allows me to practice my coating skills a bit.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Paul said:
I'm not making any money. This is a total loser for me - just something I do because I like to see what I can do. It allows me to practice my coating skills a bit.
so your doing this work and getting NO compensation for your materials used???? TO be a self proclaimed " azz hole " on the forums thats mighty generous of you to do if that is the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online