Fr500 steering wheel

JRad405

Reaction score
You figure like anything if they stop producing them and people have them. It just goes to the highest bidder or however much they feel they can mark it up for. Pontiac parts are supposedly getting more expensive too since there's no Pontiac anymore.

I definitely want a fr500 wheel, but I can't justify spending $400 for a steering wheel.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly, I'm tempted to just get a regular racing wheel, though I liked the idea of being able to keep my air bag.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
people like the thickness of it I understand. You can always get yours custom wrapped with italian leather for 1/3 the price....

JRad405

Reaction score
Exactly, I'm tempted to just get a regular racing wheel, though I liked the idea of being able to keep my air bag.

I read something somewhere that if you got in an accident that was bad the insurance companies may hassle you for not having an air bag. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between a normal wheel and an fr500?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the fr500 is fatter, that is about the only phisical difference.

Legally, removing your airbag or modifying the safety device like that in your car would make it not street-legal and not pass an inspection if your state had one. Now just because your state doesn't have the inspection doesn't mean your home free as if you do have a wreck, the officer would do an inspection at the accident as would the insurance after the fact.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
well if ford didnt use a design thats been on explorers, Suvs and ergonomical from the start. by then it wouldnt be an abortion that should of.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my Fr500 wheel...It really feels so much better on long drives & gives a super cushy grip/feel ...I was lucky to get one of the last ones for $239 which I thought was outrageous at the time! The Cobra wheel is just as good & the thumb rests look good!

IMG_4514.jpg

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously love my FR500. The only way I'll get rid of it is if I throw a removable wheel in it and take it completely off the street. Which could happen if I ever get a truck and trailer.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Yeah, I am old & have arthritis in my hands! The wheel lets me stay ahead of you young whippersnappers!...LOL

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I swear all it is, is a standard wheel that they put an additional cover over, called it limited edition and then laughed at getting $200 for a stock steering wheel. I am going to send my to redline leather and have it covered with some nice italian leather for 1/3 the price to get the same thing only better.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I swear all it is, is a standard wheel that they put an additional cover over, called it limited edition and then laughed at getting $200 for a stock steering wheel. I am going to send my to redline leather and have it covered with some nice italian leather for 1/3 the price to get the same thing only better.

Ok, you can do that. But I find it silly for you to judge it when you've never owned one. I don't really know of anyone who has bought one and regretted it. I probably wouldn't pay the sort of prices people are asking for them now as I managed to snag mine up right before they pumped up the prices on them (I think I piad like $179?) and the difference between it and mine with ripped up leather was night and day. It is a lot different than a standard wheel. The rim of it is a good bit thicker than the stocker. Like more than just a measley layer of leather could do. The perforated leather makes a huge difference in getting that "clammy" palm feeling. Paul compared them to tits once. If yours feels like tits after redline gets done with it, then more power to you. Maybe you can lead some people down that route once you get yours finished but I'm still happy with my purchase.

Mustanger

Reaction score
^+1 Yes this is NOT just a recovered stocker wheel! Anyone that says so has never put his hands on one! Just recovering your old wheel will NOT do the job...trust us! But if you are happy ....great! These wheels are very special & Ford is making a mistake stopping production. I felt it was worth it to save just a bit longer to get the Ford Quality OEM product. (but todays scalping prices offends me....I guess it's free enterprise...& I'm free to reject them)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not sure why you guys think I have never had my hands on one? Yes I have seen and touched one and no it did not give me the orgasm that everyone else seems to describe. No, never driven with one for hours but I have also never got tired hands from driving even after driving my stang across country. Yes they are softer, no they are not worth what people are getting for them now and nowhere near it unless it comes with a nice hooker as well(female too). They could add some padding under my custom italian leather that I plan. perferated? Ahh sure no problem and the material would be 10x the quality of anything ford ever considered using, last alot longer and with custom options look better too. Just my opinion though, no need to team up on me I am glad if you are happy with your purchases but if I paid $4-500 for a factory quality wheel I would feel the need to slap myself everytime I remembered the price......

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I seriously love my FR500. The only way I'll get rid of it is if I throw a removable wheel in it and take it completely off the street. Which could happen if I ever get a truck and trailer.

I call dibs on yours if you do that.... just saying

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online