G36 Monkey's Resurrection Build. Number Tew. Update June 10, 2017

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I can't say I blame you :) I should have all of that under the car by next Thursday (Hopefully!)

It's tough trying to work around two schedules that are usually both slammed on the weekends haha

mustanggarage

Reaction score
Hey G36. I did not read your whole thread yet, so maybe you answered this. can you explain your decision process in deciding to modify the 8.8 rearend with the 9 inch axle housings rather than just go with a complete 9 inch rear set up? what made you decide to go this route? I personally really prefer the removeable carrier of the 9 inch to working on an 8.8.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dayum. Looking good, my dude :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy! Let me know if you can help Thursday!

Hey G36. I did not read your whole thread yet, so maybe you answered this. can you explain your decision process in deciding to modify the 8.8 rearend with the 9 inch axle housings rather than just go with a complete 9 inch rear set up? what made you decide to go this route? I personally really prefer the removeable carrier of the 9 inch to working on an 8.8.

Cost mostly. This is still a direct bolt in aside from the brakes, and, realistically, should be plenty strong for what I am using it for. This is not a drag car so the likelihood of stripping out the gears, etc. is very slim. This is many times stronger than the c-clips or c-clip eliminators, and it without a doubt going to serve me well.

Coming along! :slowclap:

I know I'm excited :D

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, got under it and managed to get a lot done today!!

I'll let the pics do the talking, of course with my input under them so you know what's going on :)

Exhaust had to come down first. It's been a while, that was more difficult than I remember ;p

Out with the old

This made it a lot easier to move this thing around the shop

So long upper control arms! Also, I got a new pinion snubber, mainly because I was in there. The old one was not damaged or anything. However, if my rear end flies up and hits the body now with all this stuff, I think I have more issues than the pinion snubber! Either way, it's pictured.

Old control arm

Got the Maximum Motorsports Road Race Lowers. Hoping they're beefy enough. Per MM, they should be just fine with my setup.

Spent a fair amount of time installing these things. Torque box reinforcements. It took some, uh, adjusting of the vehicle to get it all right.

Plasma cutter definitely helped get things taken care of under there.

Not pictured, we hung the new rear by the lowers and the shocks.

Still to come:

Weld the sway bar, torque arm, torque box reinforcements, and install the PHB.

Then we will work on the rest of the front stuff. My next day to work on it is Monday.

So glad it's coming along :)

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Oh jesus man, on the ground no less?

No wonder you were asking me to help, thought this was going down on a rack. No pun intended

whitey

Reaction score
Moving right along I see! Let me know next time you plan on going out. I'll try to get off work earlier and help.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wow, that's a great project to learn some solid suspension mechanics. nicely done!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh jesus man, on the ground no less?

No wonder you were asking me to help, thought this was going down on a rack. No pun intended

You can still help!

Moving right along I see! Let me know next time you plan on going out. I'll try to get off work earlier and help.

Monday!

wow, that's a great project to learn some solid suspension mechanics. nicely done!

The worst part looks like it will be the PHB. Everything else is fairly straight forward, just time consuming.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got the Torque arm cross piece tacked in today, and believe we have the pinion angles all set just right. This measuring took longer than anticipated. So, still to come is the pan hard bar and welding in the sway bar. Finishing up the welds on the torque arm cross piece and welding in the torque box reinforcements. Then we need to adjust the exhaust.

Otherwise all the rear stuff is done, then we need to take care of the rest of the stuff up front!

Anyhow here's pics. I've included a pic of my one of my uncle's dune buggies. He races them. He is trying to finish this one up for a race that's coming up. It's got an LS from a 2004 Vette. So, 400 hp and 2,000 pounds. It's a rocket ship.

neverenuff

Reaction score
Great work G-monkey! Shame that beaut of a rear end is under the car!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got the torque box reinforcements welded and painted, the remainder of the torque arm welding done, and the panhard bar holes drilled tonight and put the bolts in place. Tomorrow we should get the sway bar welded in and get the car rolling with the axle finally in it's resting place. Then drive it around a bit to let it settle and center the axle with the PHB.

I will do some pics tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online

No members online now.