that gear is for offroading

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Re: Official Gear Thread

Maybe I want to take my 5.0 off road... :dunno:

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

Keep in mind people that drag race alot...You absolutely want the gear that will put you at the top or as close as possible to it in 4th gear as you cross the line. This will make a HUGE difference in both MPH and ET.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

Stopsign32v said:
Keep in mind people that drag race alot...You absolutely want the gear that will put you at the top or as close as possible to it in 4th gear as you cross the line. This will make a HUGE difference in both MPH and ET.

4:30's :dancing6: :dancing6:

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

Actually for you I think 4.56 gears would be better...4.30 gears put you at 125mph at the top of 4th gear...you aren't trapping that are you?

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stopsign32v said:
Actually for you I think 4.56 gears would be better...4.30 gears put you at 125mph at the top of 4th gear...you aren't trapping that are you?

wow... well most people wouldn't put a gear like that in a daily driver

and with alot of power you would need so much traction...

thats a race gear... no reason to use that unless yer truuble or some other hardcore racer...

this thread is for street cars...

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

What do you call a street car? Like I said my car had over 570rwhp and it had 4.30 gears in it. Full interior, no cage, tag, insurance...is that not a street car? Like have said before, the throttle isn't an on/off switch. Learn to play it and traction will come. Plus just because you are spinning your tires does not mean you aren't accelerating. I've passed a modded LS1 T/A laying black marks going sideways past him in 3rd gear. :dunno: You guys do what you want, I'm just giving PROVEN advice to people that are serious about drag racing their STREET cars.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stopsign32v said:
What do you call a street car? Like I said my car had over 570rwhp and it had 4.30 gears in it. Full interior, no cage, tag, insurance...is that not a street car? Like have said before, the throttle isn't an on/off switch. Learn to play it and traction will come. Plus just because you are spinning your tires does not mean you aren't accelerating. I've passed a modded LS1 T/A laying black marks going sideways past him in 3rd gear. :dunno: You guys do what you want, I'm just giving PROVEN advice to people that are serious about drag racing their STREET cars.

street car... for the everyday driver...

most people cant handle a real torquey gear and alot of HP

alot of stang owners are young...

not to mention highway driving would suck...

I would be driving around in 3rd and 5th gear

@ 2500 rpm in 5th you'd only be going 60... so theres a headache...

I think that the first post is a general guide line for all street stangs

and 4.56 would eat tires.... you would want traction and need to build a rear to get it... and... well bottem line...

4.30s are pushing it... any thing more is impractical

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

Keep in mind my car and Snakebit's are 32v Cobras. And no 4.30 gears are not too much gear for that car on the street. Do not fear the gear, thats what the problem is with sooo many people. :nonono:

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stopsign32v said:
Keep in mind my car and Snakebit's are 32v Cobras. And no 4.30 gears are not too much gear for that car on the street. Do not fear the gear, thats what the problem is with sooo many people. :nonono:

well like i said

4.30s are pushing it...

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

And that is your opinion... :dunno: I honestly wouldn't have anymore than 4.10 gears in my DAILY DRIVER.

HOWEVER, I stated a fact that if you drag race your car alot and want the best out of it on the track you MUST have a gear that will set you at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4th.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stopsign32v said:
And that is your opinion... :dunno: I honestly wouldn't have anymore than 4.10 gears in my DAILY DRIVER.

HOWEVER, I stated a fact that if you drag race your car alot and want the best out of it on the track you MUST have a gear that will set you at the top of 4th gear at the end of the 1/4th.

of coarse...

how many cars on here are driven on the track more then the street?

Daywalker

Reaction score

I went from the stock 3.08s to 3.55s about three years ago and it was a noticeable, but not substatial difference. I'm having FRPP 4.10s/bearing kit installed this weekend, so I'll let ya know next week sometime how they feel.... :thumb:

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

I think 4.10 gears are too much gear for a 5.0 and SOHC 4.6L. I remember riding in my friends 4.10 geared 4.6L SOHC car on nitrous and he had to shift so fast it was pointless. :nonono: The car topped out at like 110mph I think lol

bleau

Reaction score

Hi guys,
I'm doing my gears right now, I'm replacing the bearings while I'm in there.
I know I need to set backlash with the shims on the diff, but since I'm replacing the bearings Do I need to think about preload on the diff also?
If so How do you guys measure it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

twinscrwed

Reaction score

I have 410s in my 99 cobra and its just right :rockyou:

Stopsign32v

Reaction score

twinscrwed said:
I have 410s in my 99 cobra and its just right :rockyou:

Go to the drag strip and you will be saying a different story. ;)

twinscrwed

Reaction score

yeah its plenty fast for the street and teh guy i bought it from ran consistant 113.1 at 105 so with a better driver and some weight loss it could be plenty fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online