Gear Thread

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: Official Gear Thread

twinscrwed said:
yeah its plenty fast for the street and teh guy i bought it from ran consistant 113.1 at 105 so with a better driver and some weight loss it could be plenty fast

113 second quarter! woot!

Just messin man ;)

ripper

Reaction score

What a coincidence Greg! I need a new diff, you know how to do it, and im like 15mins from you ::) .

GDawg

Reaction score

With what little I've experienced driving my recently blown car is that I can't imagine going any steeper than my 3.27s. But later I may consider 3.55 or 3.73s. Right now I get to redline really fast!!! :noes:

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

Stevo said:
What a coincidence Greg! I need a new diff, you know how to do it, and im like 15mins from you ::) .

I don't have enough experience...

But I do know a guy that will do a fantastic job out near the outlets....

He does alot of work on my neighbors 1969 road runner (with a big block 440); his 1968 dart; and 40 something dodge coupe...

Only guy that is trustworthy and fair as far as I'm concerned

94 DropTop

Reaction score

Ok i have a 94 auto vert. with a AODE do I have to get a chip so my tranny will shift right? I was told the AODE's dont work properly when 4.10's are in them.

OP
OP
G

GREG@SN95

94 DropTop said:
Ok i have a 94 auto vert. with a AODE do I have to get a chip so my tranny will shift right? I was told the AODE's dont work properly when 4.10's are in them.

no... only a new speedo gear... but a chip would make the tranny shift alot nicer along with many other things so it is a good idea

Sn95Willis

Reaction score

Ok i had a 2002 Gt and i put 4.10's in it... Damn i could tell a big diff.. Before it just spun but after the gear change it spun through 1st and let out one hell of a screech going to second.. I cant tell you how many people would ask if i had a 5 speed after running them..

But on to my ? i have a 94 Gt and its gonna be awhile before i have a power adder. I am going to get ateast 4.10's but would like 4.30's.. Which would be my better choice.. And when its all said and done i will have all bolts on'd.

Willis

badass98svt

Reaction score

Is this your daily driver?
Do you care abouut mileage?
Drive on the highway a lot?
Do your run the 1/4 often?

Sn95Willis

Reaction score

I am gonna be building it for the track and the weekend driver.. Its not gonna be an every day car...

badass98svt

Reaction score

4.10s max.

I think 3.90s would be the perfect gear for you.
Don't forget the speedcal.

Passenger

Reaction score

I have 3.73s in my '95. I love it. Going to suck ass going on trips though. I turn almost 3,000 rpms at 75-80. Exhaust is dumped before the rear axle, talk about drone! :noes:

68mustang5.0

Reaction score

im prolly gonna be getting gears installed in my car in the next few weeks....i was set on 4.10's, but after reading this thread, im kinda changing my mind.....Im gonna be going to a 5 speed soon....so...

Yes my GT is my daily driver.
i didnt buy the car for gas mileage :hammer:
it has never seen the track, ours closed a year ago.
i drive on the freeway alot...

so i guess with 4.10's at about 60-65 on the freeway, ill be at about 2400 RPM.....how would 3.90's be on my car?

RJayLo

Reaction score
Bumped an old thread cause dammit Im trying to learn :hammer:

Seems like it goes back and forth but sounds like it depends on whether or not the car is a quarter pounder or a daily driver.
Mine is my daily driver but I want to throw down at the track (both strip and raod course). More than likely I will be sticking with bolt-ons with nitrous. Very doubtful that boost will be on the car (would be nice though). Acceleration is a bigger factor to me than racing Supras on the freeway but I also dont want to spend gas money like the ex-wife spends my child support. Im not sure what my stock 95 GT comes with but Im thinking 3.73 is max what I want. Now is there anything else that is needed when buying the gears?

This is just a newb talking here so correct me if im wrong. :coolsmiley:

wanna_b_03

Reaction score

Turd Ferguson said:
94 DropTop said:

no... only a new speedo gear... but a chip would make the tranny shift alot nicer along with many other things so it is a good idea
Drive my car and tell me that again :wall:

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Speedcal is a must if you're doing new gears.

My speedo is fast by 25mph :crazy2:

If you're looking for a video of what the difference is in stock gears and 4.10's. Look this section for the thread.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Getting the gears done is one of the best mods to do. Ive had it done on my last 2 Mustangs and it was one of the first things I did this time around.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
so for a 98 mustang gt, if I wanted to do gears what would I need as far as calibrating?

I don't want to do a little temp fix on anything. I want it done perfect, like it came from the factory with the gears.

so i guess i'm asking if a speedcal will work on my car? and could a sct xcal3 (or whatever it is) do the same thing with the same effect?

and how does a speedcal work and how would I use it to correct speed? and if i used a speedcal would I need to get a new gear or speedo gear for the speedo or anything?

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
realitygt said:
so for a 98 mustang gt, if I wanted to do gears what would I need as far as calibrating?

I don't want to do a little temp fix on anything. I want it done perfect, like it came from the factory with the gears.

so i guess i'm asking if a speedcal will work on my car? and could a sct xcal3 (or whatever it is) do the same thing with the same effect?

and how does a speedcal work and how would I use it to correct speed? and if i used a speedcal would I need to get a new gear or speedo gear for the speedo or anything?

96+ needs the speed cal, anything below that can just swap out the speedo gear. Im not sure if you will still need a new speedo gear or not, Ive never owned one past a 95

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson