GT40 heads price?

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Ballpark on going rate? Looking into a set of 3 bars. Figured maybe $200 max for the pair since I will be spending about $400-500 on them to have them all gone over. Any more than that in them and I might as well go with aluminums?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the price on heads had just gone nuts the past 5 years or so. I was amazed to see my trickflow heads for sale used for only $100 less than I got them for 10 years ago, and sell pretty quick. I don't see that trend changing unfortunately and do not regret buying once and crying once.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I bought AFR's for my '57 Chevy back around 1998 or so for a SBC. Can't remember what I paid but think it was around $1500 and they were the fully CNC'd/ported.
That was a 393 (destroked 406). Dyno'd at 552HP at the crank on pump gas

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I am going to search around for a set for a 351w roller engine
I know already it's going to cost a nut
Got one left for a cam intake and fuel system

95GTS5L

Reaction score
I sold a new reman set from Mexico for $1100 CAD. This past fall. You can still order them when available thru RockAuto as long as you have a 93 Cobra Vin to enter. They arrive in each plastic returnable case.
Basic AFR's at the Good price up here are $2600 CAD.
Danny

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck on the hunt. I spent quite a few months trying to track down a set of 3 bars for my 94. I've got a 4bar headed engine on the stand, but just didn't want to deal with the plug angle. Every set of ready to go 3 bars were $800-900 and I couldn't see myself spending that when aluminum heads are just a bit more.

My current plan is to run a set of the Chinese AFR 185 Enforcer heads. $1300 assembled, there's other China heads on the market, but I have a little more faith in AFR to set these up a little better than some of the other brands out there.

joemomma

Reaction score
Just checked RA and the 93 Cobra heads are $613.99 plus a $250 core charge each, for remans. That's aluminum head money if you go Chinese, and just a little cheaper than TFS/AFR. I think the Skip White NKB aluminum heads are around $1000 when they have them available.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
A buddy messaged me this morning. A guy has a set of 3 bar heads for $600 and an Explorer intake for $300. Intake is a no-go as it is a non EGR. Heads seem a little steep. If they were fresh I'd likely be ok with that price, even up to maybe $700-800 but being 'used' I'd want my shop to go over them and now I'm looking at $300-400 for that so I'm looking at $1000. Haven't talked to the seller but still not sure I would take his word for anything if he said they were very low mile. They do look clean.
I gave up on the whole GT40 thing but still need to fix the AF leak and pretty sure the intake will have to come off and have a hard time putting the old crappy intake back on...lol
Thinking maybe just leave the stock stuff on there and throw 3.73's in it over winter and leave it alone after that?

garrisonsheff

Reaction score
For $1000 you could just get new heads on summit racing that'll flow better anyways.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
at that price you might as well buy summit heads they’re re branded afr’S there’s literally afr stickers on them ‍♂️

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
For $1000 you could just get new heads on summit racing that'll flow better anyways.
Cheapest I found was about $1300 except for off brands that I wasn't familiar with. Those were the Edelbrock E-Streets and the AFR Enforcers. Saw Flo-Tek and a few others but not familiar with that brand and not sure of the quality.

garrisonsheff

Reaction score
Those AFR Enforcers are a fairly popular budget option from what I understand. They will flow much better than GT40 heads as well. When I said for $1000 I meant in that ballpark, personally I'd rather just pay the extra to get new heads. Gone are the days of getting GT40 heads for sub $200 in most places.

garrisonsheff

Reaction score
Found Edelbrock Performer on summit $973 for a set. 170cc intake runners, so not the biggest ports but still.

EDIT: There are larger port Performers for about $100 more as well.

garrisonsheff

Reaction score
i think that is for 1 head, not the pair
Yes, you're right. Oddly enough it seems that on the 302 heads they don't specifically say that anywhere I can see on the listing and the photos show both heads. I only managed to confirm that by looking at the product question and answers where someone asked if they were a set or not.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Yes, you're right. Oddly enough it seems that on the 302 heads they don't specifically say that anywhere I can see on the listing and the photos show both heads. I only managed to confirm that by looking at the product question and answers where someone asked if they were a set or not.
same here...lol

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Going to a cruise tomorrow and my machine shop is supposed to have a tent set up so if my buddy is there I'll bring it up with him again. He told me a couple of months ago that I'm looking at about $400 for milling and valve job then a couple hundred more if it needed guides, etc. Gonna ask him what he thinks. He built my 393 SBC back in the late 90's. Dyno'd at 552HP at 6500RPM with 10.7:1 on pump gas. He builds most of the race engines around this area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.