Heater crossover pipe

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
looks easy but there is either a very special tool to do it or I hope I found what will work just tonight(and ordered)
Did you look at those two links Michael put up? Those two guys crimped the flare a little with the vice and knocked the treaded portion off. Changed the o-rings put it back on and re-flared the line. There weren’t any special tools used.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did you look at those two links Michael put up? Those two guys crimped the flare a little with the vice and knocked the treaded portion off. Changed the o-rings put it back on and re-flared the line. There weren’t any special tools used.
actually I could hardly see the links to them on the dark mode and didn't notice them till you said this. Looks like an easy way to break it but I will look into it if the tool I have on the way does not work.

edit : well I took a look at it. I thought the center part threaded out and then the fitting came out but after looking at mine closer I realized that I was wrong. I put mine in the vice and gave it a few crimps and then use my big flat head with the "DO NOT USE AS A PRY TOOL" to pry it apart while turning and now I can see where the orings were. I need to get the flare tool but that is it.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
actually I could hardly see the links to them on the dark mode and didn't notice them till you said this. Looks like an easy way to break it but I will look into it if the tool I have on the way does not work.

edit : well I took a look at it. I thought the center part threaded out and then the fitting came out but after looking at mine closer I realized that I was wrong. I put mine in the vice and gave it a few crimps and then use my big flat head with the "DO NOT USE AS A PRY TOOL" to pry it apart while turning and now I can see where the orings were. I need to get the flare tool but that is it.
The fella in the second link used something called a tapered spindle. I’m not sure what that is, but it sounds like just something that’s tapered to put the little bit of flare back in it. I’d say just take it slow on the flare and it should be ok.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a quick search and they are not hard to find. I have something similar but it doesn't have as steep of a taper to it and would bottom out before it was wide enough. I hope to get out to see about orings tomorrow but I am scheduled for an ultimate selfie/colnoscoopie(TMI?) that will be cutting into my day.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMG_20211119_120423912.jpg

This was the extra one I had that was supposed to have been working when removed. The tight to turn to tighten it down was so hard to move that if it did not leak then it would have pretty quickly. I am hoping to get to the store to look for the orings and some kind of grease to put on it. Any suggestions for that?

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
View attachment 13582

This was the extra one I had that was supposed to have been working when removed. The tight to turn to tighten it down was so hard to move that if it did not leak then it would have pretty quickly. I am hoping to get to the store to look for the orings and some kind of grease to put on it. Any suggestions for that?
Gah damn yours is in worse shape than mine. Mine was also very hard to wrench in.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
View attachment 13582

Vaseline should work fine on the o rings. That’s what I use when I build transmissions or any kind of hydraulics.

I would make sure everything is really clean and assembles easy without the new o rings installed before trying to put it all back together.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I also decided to take the swivel nut apart this evening. The O-rings were intact but I have no idea about their condition other than them being dirty but I will replace them and put everything back together and respray it.

coolant.jpg

coolant2.jpg

coolant 3.jpg

coolant4.jpg

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I also decided to take the swivel nut apart this evening. The O-rings were intact but I have no idea about their condition other than them being dirty but I will replace them and put everything back together and respray it.

View attachment 13586

View attachment 13587

View attachment 13588

View attachment 13589

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
I have had that pipe in my garage for a while now and looked all over for the cross shaped tool that looked like was needed to take it out. Took all of 10 mins once I saw that post. Your o-rings are in much better shape than mine. I could not tell that one was there till I ran a pic across it and it fell apart.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can you post up some pictures for us? Give some of the other folks an idea of what’s going on.
I told him that I tried something similar on mine but with out the ability to tighten it down with out turning the entire assembly that it would not fit on mine. As soon as it got down a little bit it would hit the intake and keep it from spinning.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I told him that I tried something similar on mine but with out the ability to tighten it down with out turning the entire assembly that it would not fit on mine. As soon as it got down a little bit it would hit the intake and keep it from spinning.
I remember you saying that and I thought the same thing when I saw the link that was posted. That’s mainly why I’m so curious how it turned out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online