home made turbo system

voidfinger

Reaction score
so which is better? the one after the turbo or before? and where the hell is all those pipes gonna fit lol.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
what do you mean, which is better.. before or after the turbo? theres piping both before AND after the turbo....

the piping from each of the headers flows into the Y merge which goes into the single turbine (if a single turbo) to spool it.. then a single exhaust from the turbine housing back unless you decide to split it into dual exhaust.\

Thats exactly why most turbo kits cost so much. b/c its almost impossible NOT to have a tubular from suspension and everything fit.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i was refearing to the maf placement, but i could put the t70 in the fender like you said right? or no? how did you rout your piping? thanks

Thomas_W

Reaction score
you can fit a T-70 in the fender.. its just a tight fit and the possibility of drainage problems. you'll have to make a 45* bend immediately out of the turbo in order to keep the -10AN drain line from having a low spot (where oil collects). the lowest part of the drain line MUST be the oil pan inlet, or else you'll have smoking from the exhaust.

I thought you were talking about tubing.. my mistake on the maf placement. Its really a tuning thing. draw thru maf's are typically easier to tune, but you must run a BPV (bypass valve) so you have to recirculate the air from the charge tube to the TB back into the inlet of the turbo b/c that is already meter'd air..

But in order to run High HP, you have to run a blow-thru setup b/c you need a BOV (blow off valve) in order to vent the air. the BOV is placed before the MAF so the air isn't metered when you hear the "whooosh" sound you hear all the turbo honda's make, so you dont mess up the tune.\

I've got a blow thru setup b/c i'm planning on running over 600rwhp.. and the BOV sound gets lots of attention from the ladies LOL

voidfinger

Reaction score
i understand, so i need to do the blow threw , but why would that make it hard to tune?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
i understand, so i need to do the blow threw , but why would that make it hard to tune?

the maf's peg quicker and you can get backwash from air that is between the TB and MAF going back thru the maf to get out thru th BOV

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok then what would you sudjest that i do? i'm so confussed with all this tech talk :dunno:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
ok then what would you sudjest that i do? i'm so confussed with all this tech talk :dunno:

for later upgrade purposes.. i'd do blow thru. either way you'll need to upgrade to atleast a 90mm Lightning maf w/ a maf extender and 42# injectors, 255lph hi pressure pump w/ a fuel pressure regulator. that'll cover you up to around 400-500rwhp w/ a good tune.

voidfinger

Reaction score
very nice, i was planning for something around that anyway.

i wish you could send me some pics on how i'm suppose to rout these pipes lol :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ask and i'll show :D

lol.. i'll get better pictures of the complete setup when its on the lift wed.

These pictures are still missing a good bit of the cold section piping.

complete6.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete2-1.jpg

complete1-1.jpg

Wastegate.jpg

CompleteHS2.jpg

completeHS1.jpg

newturbosetup3.jpg

sideturbo2.jpg

sideturbo.jpg

hotsection6.jpg

frontturbo.jpg

HS1.jpg

HS2.jpg

HS3.jpg

HS4.jpg

And the first routing i had done. but didn't like b/c it didn't provide enough space for both the downpipe and cold section piping. even the setup in the above pictures BARELY provides enough room. You can see the difference between the two. In the above pictures (which is how the car is running now) the crossover pipe from the driver side is much higher and close to the engine so it allows room for the downpipe to pass between the crossover and the turbo to IC piping. And the turbo flange was lowered to provide more clearance for the upper radiator hose.

HSdone1.jpg

HSdone2.jpg

Turbomounted1.jpg

TUrboMounted2.jpg

voidfinger

Reaction score
so that cheaper set up you talked about earlier, i would have to rout the piping the same way?, and please do send some pics when you get the piping on and take some of how you done the down pipe and exaust? thanks man

Thomas_W

Reaction score
all of the pictures above are from the most expensive setup.. i'll post pictures tommorrow of the first one i did.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i have two questions...

#1 are you venting the wastegate into the atmosphere...if so, what is the benefit?

#2 What kinda welder are you using? and do you have any recommendations for one, preferably a MIG. :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
i have two questions...

#1 are you venting the wastegate into the atmosphere...if so, what is the benefit?

#2 What kinda welder are you using? and do you have any recommendations for one, preferably a MIG. :)

I am currently venting the wastegate to the atmosphere.. benefits from what i hear are they are easier to tune and make for better boost holding.

I'm using a Miller Electric Tig Welder (dont know what model #, but its a $13k welder). Mig.. hmm.. i've used a few of the sears brands w/ some decent success.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Here's pictures from the 1st 4.6 setup.. and the cheapest one:

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

DSCF1225.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1227.jpg

DSCF1228.jpg

Yinstalled.jpg

completeY.jpg

frontview.jpg

gointoturbo.jpg

frontview3.jpg

sideshot.jpg

foglightshot.jpg

fromunderneath.jpg

wheresthatgo.jpg

downpiperesize.jpg

completehotsection.jpg

completehotsection2.jpg

complete1.jpg

complete2.jpg

Done1.jpg

Done2.jpg

Done3.jpg

Done4.jpg

Done5.jpg

intercoolermounted1.jpg

completeenginebayresize.jpg

Turbomountedfoglightshotresize.jpg

Wastegateinstalledshotresize.jpg

wheelwellshotresize.jpg

Soo.. do i have enough pictures for all yall?

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow so the headers don't have to be turned forward.... nice, so i would really like to see how you did the down pipe to the exaust and the cold side piping :) that would be really nice.

So, you didn't have to have headers for the first one, just used stock manifolds...

What kinda power did that one make?

you wouldn't still have all that piping would you??? >:D

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
ahhh shoot, i just relized that was with a tubular k....

you can still do the same thing with a stock k member. just realize ground clearance isn't the best. It sucked even w/ the tubular K member. The downpipe is as much as you see, i didn't make it any longer. thats the kit that made 479rwhp on 10psi w/ the GT45 turbo from masterpower.. I dont have any pics of the cold side piping as i sold that setup to a guy before i finished it.

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow so there was no exaust? it was just that pipe and then nothing? Maybe if i do that then i can exstend the factory skid plate to cover the pipes and then put some eibach or ford drag springs or b springs on since they aren't that low and the drag spring are stock hight i think. :) That combo looks like it would be a whole lot easier to manage with the piping, why didn't you keep that set up style?

How do you know how much power it made when you weren't finished with it before you sold it?

Also, if you did the welding yourself then congrats your a really good with it. :)

Now if only i had a mig welder and a spare car so i could put mine on the lift and start fabing the piping...... :)

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I didnt stay w/ that setup b/c the same side inlet and outlet on the intercoolers are limited on how big you can go and i need a BIG intercooler for 800rwhp. PLUS i dont like haven't piping run under the K member.. you scrub on every speed bump. the guy i sold it to posted his #'s online, thats how i know what it made. I've done all the welding on all of my kits.. i'm to impatient to wait for someone else to do it. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online