home made turbo system

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I made 422/402 w/ a supercharger and stock internals.. granted it only lasted a year, but i ran the hell outa that car. lol

Thomas_W

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
voidfinger said:
well i wouldn't take it near 400 without forging though.
as would i

and Thomas, a GT45 turbo is too big for me or what?

Use either a 60-1 or a T70. w/ a .68 A/r turbine housing. both will be good for the street. 60-1 is good to around 550ish.. t70 is goo to 700-750ish

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
my96gtstang said:
you know its called forging your bottom end right?
your gonna forge your motor but only look for 450-500...

that number seems kinda low to me to go through all the trouble and money to only get that much :dunno:

its called safety.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
with a fully forged motor you can make 700rwhp and still be safe. as long as the tune is done correctly.

w/ forged rods and pistons on stock GT crank you can make up to 650rwhp but your getting on the edge of reliability with the stock crank.

safety of margin is all in the tune, with the 10% of it being internals of the motor.

i have a buddy in FL w/ a homemade twin 57mm twin turbo setup making 506rwhp on a stock longblock.. the car is just driven very conservatively and isn't beat on and the tune is super save.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
because i know i could run 8 psi all day long or if i wanted to turn it up to 20 i could. it would be built for it. once i build this car im not gunna run it on like 18 psi or whatever daily. it will be at 8 and i will have a boost controller to turn it up if i want. but it will be done right and safe enough to run it. thats my point

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
my96gtstang said:
thomas i know me and you have already talked about this, so how much for you to build me a kit and install it?
i want around 500rwhp but if its above 450 i can deal with it lol
you know your motor wont take 450 HP for too long right?

thts not neccessarily true, i know a tone of guys pushin 450+ on the stock long block for a couple years now with NO issues. quoting information that you read on other forums doesnt do a whole lot of good, it really just depends on the abuse of the motor, and the tune. there was a guy with a extremely well tuned 2v pushing 600+ for 2 years before his stock motor went O0

ripper

Reaction score
Well i can give you guys some first hand on this one. I was running 12lbs of boost on my npi stock bottom for a yr with no problem. And i was racing every weekend and beating the snot outa it. I had a custom piping done with an anderson PP and first trip to the track BOOM! The PP added like 2 or 3 more lbs of boost and thats all it took. 450hp on a stock lower will last for awhile i guess but sooner or latter it will let loose. On my new motor im totally forged and studded mains. Its bored .30 over and capable of making big numbers but i keep it just above 500hp. The suspension sucks. And i dont wanna get into the wall (almost did twice). 500hp is friggin unbelievable. Ask Truuble what your car does with big hp and crappy suspension he has first hand on that lol. I think he has a vid of it on a post somewere. Ill bet his suspension cost as much as his motor now. He upgraded everything.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Well i can give you guys some first hand on this one. I was running 12lbs of boost on my npi stock bottom for a yr with no problem. And i was racing every weekend and beating the snot outa it. I had a custom piping done with an anderson PP and first trip to the track BOOM! The PP added like 2 or 3 more lbs of boost and thats all it took. 450hp on a stock lower will last for awhile i guess but sooner or latter it will let loose. On my new motor im totally forged and studded mains. Its bored .30 over and capable of making big numbers but i keep it just above 500hp. The suspension sucks. And i dont wanna get into the wall (almost did twice). 500hp is friggin unbelievable. Ask Truuble what your car does with big hp and crappy suspension he has first hand on that lol. I think he has a vid of it on a post somewere. Ill bet his suspension cost as much as his motor now. He upgraded everything.

sometimes it lasts longer then others, but just like any motor it will blow eventually

ripper

Reaction score
Yea it is Dal and i know nothing about turbos at all and can join in :hammer:

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
another thing before i get the whole "thats what the rods are rated at speech" you got to remember the stock t45 is rated at 320ftlbs and how many of us ignor that ;). i dont believe after 450 rwhp im on "borrowd time" crap, ill believe that if i dont have my car tuned correctly and up to date on everything it will blow reguardless of how much im pushing.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll contribute!

IMO - Turbo's are superior to blowers.
there's a lot to the debate, and I wont explain in here.

Secondly, TUNE TUNE TUNE - detonation can break any motor, forged or cast.

450 is a pretty consistant mark for the cast assembly to start sneezing out parts.
some guys get more, some less.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
this is a sweet thread, for a used turbo what kind do you get? like from a used mustang/diesel/john deere?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
bigjohnson4.6gt said:
this is a sweet thread, for a used turbo what kind do you get? like from a used mustang/diesel/john deere?
it depends on what you want, twins or single...i recommend looking over the forums at turbomustangs.com, and do a lot of reading.

ripper

Reaction score
I watched the vid on that 8 sec turbo car and when he left the line i said "no way this car makes 8 sec. No wheelie, front end didnt even really rise. Whats the deal? They make the power in the higher rpm range?

voidfinger

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I watched the vid on that 8 sec turbo car and when he left the line i said "no way this car makes 8 sec. No wheelie, front end didnt even really rise. Whats the deal? They make the power in the higher rpm range?

Well man, the thing with turbo's is that you can get a really really big one that won't do much off the line, since it takes so much more exaust to run it, but up top it is going to be a jet, smaller turbos are good for lower to mid, Twins are good for low and mid, since they are usually smaller turbo's.

At least thats what i get out of it so far. I'm just starting to look into it right now too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.