homemade cold air induction

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
after removing the elbow, i had to do something about my old cold air induction. so i decided to try making a custom home made one and see how much cheaper it would be. i also wanted to put the mass air in the fenderwell too. so i went to lowes and bought some 2 feet of the thick 3 inch I.D. pvc, one 45degree elbow and one rubber connector bend. i also got a male brass hose connector and a rubber grommet while i was there. when i got home i put the rubber connector on the throttle body and mocked up the pvc to see how long it needed to be. cut the pvc put it on and then put the 45 elbow on the end. after about 30 min of cutting and reassembling i got it to fit. i put the filter and mass air in the fenderwell and mocked it up and positioned it so it would fit. i didnt have to make the hole into the fenderwell any bigger. then took the rubber grommet i bought. i took the act sensor in with me to find the right grommet for the sensor. took a 7/8s paddle drill bit and drilled the hole where i wanted it, put the grommet in, superglued it in actually and screwed the act sensor in. then drilled one more hole for the hose from the valve cover, tightened it up and put it all together. then after all was said and done, put 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of silver spray paint on the pvc. all in all i spent about 25 bucks.
here are some pics, comments are welcome

cai1.jpg

cai2.jpg

cai3.jpg

cai4.jpg

OP
OP
F

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
thanks for the compliment. its really cheap and easy to build. only tools required are hacksaw, drill, 7/8s paddle bit and i believe 1/2 drill bit.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice! Awesome to see someone take thing's into their own hands and actually make something.

ga94gt

Reaction score
I have not seen the 94-95 tbody bolted on like the fox style. That is different. Looks good though and I am sure it was way cheaper than any aftermarket CAI. Nice work :santa_afro:

gt96stang

Reaction score
You sure you didn't get that from JLT :santa_grin: :santa_grin:

oh wait, I bought mine from them :mad: :mad:

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Very nice work man, I agree it looks very much like a JLT intake

Feel any more pep from it?

OP
OP
F

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i noticed maybe a little bit of throttle response. i just did some research on people that made home made cold air inductions for their car and kinda bounced my ideas off of theirs. then went to lowes to see what materials they had. i took the act sensor in lowes with me to find a way to make that work. i was trying the brass fittings and the one that fit the threads was tapered and the sensor part wouldnt go through the fitting. then i saw a grommet and found that it would work.

OP
OP
F

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
lol, ive never seen a jlt intake. including buying the paddle bit, i think i spent about 30 bucks. i had a gift card to lowes too so technically it didnt cost me but the 7 dollar paddle bit lol

OP
OP
F

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i would say maybe 2 to 3 rwhp on a good day. cai's dont really show up on dynos because they are not doing their job because the car is sitting still. if there was a way to simulate 70mph+ air moving past the car then it may benefit on the dyno but until then who knows. i could tell a difference from the way i had it before when the filter was just infront of the alternator.

cobra4978

Reaction score
first home made one that i've seen that looks good. I bet the PVC helps keep the air much cooler than a normal CAI would too! nice work man!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online